PDA

View Full Version : 350x aluminum air box

Shawn Powell
04-28-2017, 08:20 PM
Anyone have one of these? Would appear to delete the factory snorkel. I have some CFM products on my 400ex. Oil tank and air scoops. Quality and fitment is perfect on those. I'm very tempted for no reason at all. Only concern is I still run my air box lid to keep the water and mud out, this one obviously isn't air tight. Thoughts everyone? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170429/807bc0e32538a8b96ca437e9e32b4af3.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn Powell
04-28-2017, 08:27 PM
Well I just bought it cause I have no self control. Anyone that has any feedback please chime in and I'll post up some pics when I get it and bolt her in.

andnuaa
04-28-2017, 08:43 PM
I was wondering about this air box myself. Please let me know how it fits and looks

Matt85'350x
04-28-2017, 08:46 PM
Thanks for posting this. I think this is what I need for my build. Will the factory carb setup work with this? Is it less airflow since it has no front intake like the stock version? I know you may not know these answers but hoping someone will.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

knappyfeet
04-28-2017, 09:01 PM
Well I just bought it cause I have no self control.

I wouldn't have anything at all if I didn't purchase it like that.

It looks trick but my only concern would be with its resonating capabilities. Honda engineered airboxes as resonators to maximize mid range performance........far more critical for the leisure user than more airflow.

It does look nice though

Shawn Powell
04-28-2017, 11:05 PM
Thanks for posting this. I think this is what I need for my build. Will the factory carb setup work with this? Is it less airflow since it has no front intake like the stock version? I know you may not know these answers but hoping someone will.

It works as a factory replacement without the stock snorkel. To compensate the air box lid isn't sealed. Or you can remove all together. I have a 400ex carb but using the factory boot so I should be ok. (I called CFM) I'll find out the hard way next week.

dirtwheels
04-28-2017, 11:09 PM
Was wondering about it myself when it showed up the other day on ebay. It looks like a quality piece. Let us know it works.

christph
04-28-2017, 11:57 PM
I know CFM makes high quality products--their welds are a work of art. I bought an air box and oil tank from them for my Raptor.

Ranvier
04-29-2017, 08:50 PM
I bought one of these awhile back. Still not shipped. I hope it helps my short air tube issues.

Matt85'350x
04-29-2017, 10:56 PM
I bought one of these awhile back. Still not shipped. I hope it helps my short air tube issues.
How long is a while back? I bought one last night. Hope it doesn't take too long

Shawn Powell
04-30-2017, 12:01 AM
They build them to order for the "rare models" so they say about 10 days to build then shipping. My 400ex stuff took about a week to get but I assume they had them built already.

Shawn Powell
05-05-2017, 06:30 PM
Mine shipped today allegedly.

Matt85'350x
05-11-2017, 11:14 PM
Got mine today. I like the looks of it but the studs need to be much longer. It won't stay on the way it is now. I'm going to be emailing the company and asking for new studs. Haven't put a filter in to test that yet. Also the rubber is a loose fit. I'll be using epoxy to hold them onto the studs.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170512/232cb851257ad1104bb8a240c4f5643a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170512/3e8ce4632d8b64a2cd39c22f9c8eb4b2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170512/1b2f416a21d85610088eaedb37207ebc.jpg

Ranvier
05-12-2017, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Havent opened mine....

Shawn Powell
05-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Got mine today. Going riding tomorrow so won't mess with it till next week. Thanks Matt for the heads up on fitment issues. I'll update mine as I go

Shawn Powell
05-12-2017, 09:49 PM
So I've been running my stock air box with lid. If I pull this lid completely you think 1 jet size up is equivalent? 400ex carb. Or just run it with out see what happens? I know you can't phone jet , elevation octane etc etc. just opinions

Shawn Powell
05-12-2017, 09:55 PM
Holy balls! This thing is way to narrow. My posts BARELY touch. Easily fixed with some hardware but for 120$ I would think they would have test for it. So my factory box is roughly 6 1/2" and this one is 5 5/8". https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170513/7ffec466362e1cda61e2969754bd11de.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170513/2b40499e46029ca68ec016653995bdea.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170513/0043fe5eed6e1d369244a5e12a19bccd.jpg
Gonna email these to CFM also. I'll most likely just fix it myself at my local hardware store but....maybe they can send me some stuff anyways

Shawn Powell
05-12-2017, 10:01 PM
Also here's a pic of the old girl basically naked https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170513/b2a5d01a90fbea92d86c157a2ea914f0.jpg
You guys are a bunch a creeps. How dare you [emoji23]

fieldy
05-12-2017, 10:34 PM
Some of those polyureyhane suspension bushings cut to length in the right diameter and bolt hole size would look good instead of the rubber pieces. They are red too! Nice trike and airbox!

Shawn Powell
05-12-2017, 10:43 PM
Some of those polyureyhane suspension bushings cut to length in the right diameter and bolt hole size would look good instead of the rubber pieces. They are red too! Nice trike and airbox!

Yeah that's a good idea. Just frustrating. You pay 120$ for something that's supposedly a direct bolt in replacement and it's not even close. Especially on a part I don't NEED. Just saw something shiny and went oh I like. I buy.

Dirtcrasher
05-13-2017, 11:23 AM
I'd send that POS right back. It should be 100% BOLT ON!!

Matt85'350x
05-13-2017, 11:28 AM
On mine the ad says it'll accommodate any filter made for the 350x. My k&n certainly doesn't work. Have to wait and see if a uni does

andnuaa
05-13-2017, 02:27 PM
Is the seller willing to work with you guys to fix the problems ?

Ranvier
05-13-2017, 02:50 PM
I sent some of these pics to them and they said there are supposed to be spacers in the kit with the studs.....

Shawn Powell
05-13-2017, 03:27 PM
I sent some of these pics to them and they said there are supposed to be spacers in the kit with the studs.....

So yeah there's no spacers in mine. The rear hole is not in the right spot, too far forward , and like Matt said my k and n doesn't fit at all. I don't really want a uni filter I've always been under the reasoning the k and n flow better. I think I'm returning mine next week. And I apologize to all who bought one , Matt, ranvier, and anyone else who bought one, for starting this post before I got mine and test fit it.

Matt85'350x
05-13-2017, 08:23 PM
So yeah there's no spacers in mine. The rear hole is not in the right spot, too far forward , and like Matt said my k and n doesn't fit at all. I don't really want a uni filter I've always been under the reasoning the k and n flow better. I think I'm returning mine next week. And I apologize to all who bought one , Matt, ranvier, and anyone else who bought one, for starting this post before I got mine and test fit it.

Don't be sorry, I don't regret my purchase. I bought it because it's shorter than the stock air box which I need on my 400 build since the oil tank eats into that space. I appreciate the heads up on it because otherwise I'd have to get complete custom box built. I will make this one fit my needs. But I might ask for a partial refund since my aftermarket filter doesn't work

Ranvier
05-13-2017, 09:14 PM
No apologies!! Thanks for posting up.

Dirtcrasher
05-13-2017, 11:20 PM
Not your fault they suk.....

Shawn Powell
05-14-2017, 12:05 AM
Thanks for not holding it against me guys. Yeah I know it's not my fault but I brought it to everyone's attention seemed like by starting the thread. Should have bought it installed and then opened my mouth. Oh well. Maybe they can fix it but the fact my k and n won't fit I think is a deal breaker.

knappyfeet
05-14-2017, 12:13 AM
I totally agree with dirtcrasher............send it back.

You have recourse with eBay. Item does not fit. Ebay will make them pay return shipping,and give you a full refund.

Maybe if everyone sends it back they will make all necessary changes for future customers.

Edit..........plus I still feel there will be a mild dip in the midrange with it. Probably will corrode up nicely after use, washing, exposure, etc.......unless its anodized. K&N won't fit??.......all not worth it IMO........sorry

Shawn Powell
05-14-2017, 01:05 AM
I'm with you knappy. I'm ok modding stuff but 120$ for something I have to work on plus now I gotta buy a new filter I never wanted? Nah. My stock air box is fine and seals up for muddy days. I sent them an email and that's the route I'm gonna go. Send me a return label and I'll package it up nicely.

fabiodriven
05-14-2017, 10:02 AM
I think it's a great effort by the manufacturer and with minimal adjustments they could have a great product. It wouldn't take much at all to make that accommodate literally "every" air filter and actually fit the machine correctly. I'd like to see them make the needed adjustments for future airboxes and continue producing them. The only way they'll know is if someone tells them though...

Shawn Powell
05-14-2017, 08:39 PM
So I've spoken with CFM and sent pictures. There's supposed to be some spacers for the sides and rear for fitment and they test for both k&n and a uni and said the k$n took some work but it should fit. I'll try a little harder and they are sending me proper hardware tomorrow. I'll give them credit they answered my email fast and have replied twice today(Sunday) well see how it goes.

fieldy
05-14-2017, 08:43 PM
Was the K&N to long to fit? I had a filter sent to me that was longer than the K & N i previously had and i had to stuff it in there. Should have sent the filter back. Maybe order a shorter K & N. Just passing on an experience i had.

Shawn Powell
05-14-2017, 10:30 PM
Was the K&N to long to fit? I had a filter sent to me that was longer than the K & N i previously had and i had to stuff it in there. Should have sent the filter back. Maybe order a shorter K & N. Just passing on an experience i had.

Just overall wide and long. The flange it goes around is deeper than the factory plus it's metal vs plastic so there's no give. Truth be told I barely tried. After the box didn't fit I just gave up almost and started emails

Matt85'350x
05-16-2017, 02:34 PM
Got my spacers yesterday. I like it much more now. The spacers give the rubber boots a shoulder to press on and extends the studs to the proper width.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170516/d7c492db70e9170abbbaa0c3dec61fe0.jpg

Shawn Powell
05-20-2017, 10:57 PM
Got my spacers yesterday. I like it much more now. The spacers give the rubber boots a shoulder to press on and extends the studs to the proper width.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170516/d7c492db70e9170abbbaa0c3dec61fe0.jpg

Hey did you or anyone ever get the k&n to fit and get a pic? Mines to big. Fits in my factory air box no problem. I also go the spacers and now the box fits great. Filter is a no go. I can force it in there but it won't sit flush and I can't clamp it. Maybe I have a wrong filter? Came with the bike so who knows ...... hate to spend 65$ for another filter that won't fit when mine is fine. Maybe a bit dirty but...

Shawn Powell
05-21-2017, 05:41 PM
So I ordered a uni today. I'll give it a try I guess. I think my k and n is not the right model but somehow fits. It's a tight fit in the factory box. Came with the bike so I just accepted that it's correct. Cleaned it went about my day. Gonna call k&n on Monday and ask for sizes on there filter for a 350x.
Edit, I checked k&ns website and they give you the dimensions on the spec chart (how nice) and I have the correct filter. So yeah, if the uni doesn't fit, return city it is.

Matt85'350x
05-21-2017, 10:47 PM
So I ordered a uni today. I'll give it a try I guess. I think my k and n is not the right model but somehow fits. It's a tight fit in the factory box. Came with the bike so I just accepted that it's correct. Cleaned it went about my day. Gonna call k&n on Monday and ask for sizes on there filter for a 350x.
Edit, I checked k&ns website and they give you the dimensions on the spec chart (how nice) and I have the correct filter. So yeah, if the uni doesn't fit, return city it is.

I've got 2 KN's but I think 1 is for another model. I'll get a pic tomorrow. The 1 I think is right is definitely not fitting

Shawn Powell
05-31-2017, 09:39 PM
Yeah so the k&n I have is correct for the model and doesn't fit. I bought a uni just cause and you can get it in there you have to smash it to get it to seat and about 20% of the filter is smushed into the box. I'm just not ok with that. CFM has told me to return it no questions asked. They state it will work with no flow problems but I'm not convinced. 4 stokes need air volume. Still a great company I think they need to re design this one and I'll gladly rebuy.

Matt85'350x
05-31-2017, 10:25 PM
Yeah so the k&n I have is correct for the model and doesn't fit. I bought a uni just cause and you can get it in there you have to smash it to get it to seat and about 20% of the filter is smushed into the box. I'm just not ok with that. CFM has told me to return it no questions asked. They state it will work with no flow problems but I'm not convinced. 4 stokes need air volume. Still a great company I think they need to re design this one and I'll gladly rebuy.

Thanks for the update on the UNI. That's disappointing. I'm gonna look into a filter for another model that's hopefully shorter.

Shawn Powell
06-01-2017, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the update on the UNI. That's disappointing. I'm gonna look into a filter for another model that's hopefully shorter.

I thought about that but decided my air box is ok and I'll use my 120$ on some new seat foam from hi flite. If you use k&n s website they give you all the specs for it so you could get the dimensions for everything they make or probably even call them and tell them what you need. There very helpful. Keep me posted maybe I'll rebuy. Also with the CFM lid on it smushed the top of the uni also so that's like 40% of the filter. I just can't see that being good.

Shawn Powell
06-01-2017, 07:40 AM
Also I want to say CFM has been easy to deal with on returning it. But they think believe my situation is unique. I'd urge anyone who purchased one to let them know hey this is a bit too small and the filters don't fit. Maybe they will redesign it in the future. It's a great looking air box but the fact the filters don't really fit is a shame.

Ranvier
06-01-2017, 08:21 AM
Also I want to say CFM has been easy to deal with on returning it. But they think believe my situation is unique. I'd urge anyone who purchased one to let them know hey this is a bit too small and the filters don't fit. Maybe they will redesign it in the future. It's a great looking air box but the fact the filters don't really fit is a shame.

On 6/1/17, 4:14 AM, cfm-performance-atv wrote:

We are going to make a new version of it right now. We started on it today, should be finished and ready to ship on Monday. It will be closer to the dimensions of the stock air box so there is more filter room. Would you like to exchange the air box you have for the new version?

Shawn Powell
06-01-2017, 02:57 PM
On 6/1/17, 4:14 AM, cfm-performance-atv wrote:

We are going to make a new version of it right now. We started on it today, should be finished and ready to ship on Monday. It will be closer to the dimensions of the stock air box so there is more filter room. Would you like to exchange the air box you have for the new version?

While they did not contact me with that info I'll probably wait till you send out some pics of yours till I buy that makes me happy. [emoji106]

Shawn Powell
06-03-2017, 11:28 PM
So I sent my airbox back. Cost me 20$. CFM today emailed me and also refunded me 20$ instantly for the shipping and said they sent me the incorrect air box. That one was the Porto type and if I would like they would send me a new one asap. Or refund my initial purchase. I chose the new airbox. We will see how it goes. Good people end of day.

Matt85'350x
06-04-2017, 07:15 AM
So I sent my airbox back. Cost me 20$. CFM today emailed me and also refunded me 20$ instantly for the shipping and said they sent me the incorrect air box. That one was the Porto type and if I would like they would send me a new one asap. Or refund my initial purchase. I chose the new airbox. We will see how it goes. Good people end of day.

Interested to see what the new one is like

Shawn Powell
06-07-2017, 07:12 PM
So I sent my airbox back and CFM stated this was there "prototype" and they had a new and redesigned box that was larger and would work. Offered to send me a new one or refund my money. I chose new box because that's what I wanted the first time! While I have skeptical hippo face on there "prototype" excuse , the new one fits great. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170607/1121a140bbb3cc1822172c212cb2de91.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170607/fe4545f7e3bbed56ab4c1b261ac2dd05.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170607/6913fb11e3cb750c4b5d8b0302ae4bd6.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170607/90a4c025d6146baa8c967fb23f6fe3d1.jpg
Now the only criticism I have is with the box lid installed you can't access the Allen bolts cause the sub frame is in your way. I was / am planning on running the lid as I do a few muddy trails and figure it might help. I'll swap the Allen bolts out for regular nuts so when I trail ride it's a bit easier to install. But other than that minor issue I'm happy.
Also this is great if you have the 400ex carb. The 400ex carb is longer than the factory unit and made getting the factory airbox a bit difficult to get in there. I cut about 3/8" off the front of this unit to get it to seat better. No smushing my intake tube to get everything to bolt up. Obviously if you have a factory carb don't do this. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170607/1ab60b830efcf7d74369a89ed897c696.jpg

Shawn Powell
06-07-2017, 07:20 PM
Also CFM has stated if for whatever reason I run the box and it doesn't perform or I just don't like it I can send it back for a full refund. And my air box is in perfect shape so it's worth a try. Realistically I'll keep it and just stash my box in the shed. We shall see.

Ranvier
06-07-2017, 08:15 PM
I think mine came today .... Several packages to open. Sounds like an improvement!

350for350
06-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Man, that's great. I'm glad to hear that there's another company making new products for our old trikes and that they are good to deal with.

Shawn Powell
07-23-2017, 04:52 PM
So, this has been a rough couple weeks. I broke a very important rule in installing more than one mod at a time. I installed an oil cooler from FST , a new supertrapp muffler , and this CFM air box. Re adjusted my valves (about 8 times ) and for some reason my bike would run at the top end. So I started reversing my moves. Put my old muffler back on no changes. Leaned my carb out no change. Re adjusted everything. No change. So today I thought maybe it's the air box. Holy poo. So my factory air box WITH a lid holds and flows more air than this CFM box with no lid. I'm so confused irritated and now relieved. I'll let CFM know. Hopefully the refund me. What a nightmare this box has been. They were helpful but his box was a miss. Beware whoever is gonna run one. This doesn't flow enough for a mild 350x

Shep1970
07-23-2017, 05:07 PM
I just need to ask, maybe its just the way i'm looking at it in the last few pics with the lid on. How the heck is that solid box with one inlet for the carb supposed to let outside air in? Maybe its just been a long day... I just dont see it, also dont own a 350x either. Maybe a simple answer?

Shep

Shawn Powell
07-23-2017, 05:18 PM
I just need to ask, maybe its just the way i'm looking at it in the last few pics with the lid on. How the heck is that solid box with one inlet for the carb supposed to let outside air in? Maybe its just been a long day... I just dont see it, also dont own a 350x either. Maybe a simple answer?

Shep

It has like a tunnel air ram intake on the box. Now I didn't even run the lid so mine was completely open on top. Still didn't flow. Smaller box added with no snorkel , no volume at higher rpms.

Shawn Powell
07-23-2017, 08:38 PM
Just re adjusted my valves , I had them way loose cause I thought that was the issue, and ran it again. Wow. I never thought an air box could do that. Runs like a champ. Now just need to get to pismo in the coming weeks.

Red Rider
07-23-2017, 10:37 PM
How the heck is that solid box with one inlet for the carb supposed to let outside air in?Good eye there Shep! I didn't even notice that.

It has like a tunnel air ram intake on the box. Now I didn't even run the lid so mine was completely open on top. Still didn't flow. Smaller box added with no snorkel , no volume at higher rpms.After looking at stock 350X airboxes on eBay, it looks like the stock airbox has an inlet on the lower, left side that feeds air into the airbox. The aluminum airbox doesn't have this same inlet, so it appears, it was totally dependent upon the gaps in the lid to let air into the airbox. To make matters worse (airflow wise), the lid you show in your last pics, looks like it eliminates those same gaps.

Shawn Powell
07-24-2017, 12:26 AM
Good eye there Shep! I didn't even notice that.
After looking at stock 350X airboxes on eBay, it looks like the stock airbox has an inlet on the lower, left side that feeds air into the airbox. The aluminum airbox doesn't have this same inlet, so it appears, it was totally dependent upon the gaps in the lid to let air into the airbox. To make matters worse (airflow wise), the lid you show in your last pics, looks like it eliminates those same gaps.

Yeah it deleted the snorkel but the lid had an opening in it but I was running noblid and it didn't work at all. In this case OEM was the way to go. Lesson learned. Hopefully they are good to there word and refund my money.

Ranvier
07-24-2017, 11:39 AM
Bummer. I still have mine sitting. I have run the stock box with and without the snorkel connecting to the inlet on the left side and lid on. I'm surprised the cfm box with no lid was so restrictive.....thanks for posting the experience.

fabiodriven
07-24-2017, 01:47 PM
Have you adjusted jetting for the new airbox? It's a very likely scenario you'd have to re-jet for such a drastic intake change.

Shawn Powell
07-24-2017, 03:15 PM
Have you adjusted jetting for the new airbox? It's a very likely scenario you'd have to re-jet for such a drastic intake change.

I tried dropping from a 142 to 138 even down to 135. No change. Like I had the choke on. I have a 400ex carb with the factory air box , snorkel and lid the 142 runs great and above 5000 feet I pull the lid. Plug looks great. It would run great at bottom end but from 3/4 to full throttle wouldn't run. No air volume. Just a bad design.

fabiodriven
07-24-2017, 03:17 PM
Are you sure you don't need to go richer as opposed to lean?

Shawn Powell
07-24-2017, 06:45 PM
It wasn't a lean condition. Felt like the choke was on. If I pull my air box on OEM it runs fine. A bit leaner but possible. This was purely too much fuel at rpm. Bogged and fell on its face.

fabiodriven
07-24-2017, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't just assume that. The last bike I jetted I assumed it was going to need more fuel, so I gave it more once and then twice. It didn't improve. I started looking for other problems but I wasn't at home so there was only so much testing I could do. I went leaner instead and it cleared up. It wasn't what I was expecting but that's what the bike wanted.

The box is not going to be unusable with this engine, you simply have to jet it right. Just by looking at the aluminum box there is no way that's going to be too restrictive to run right. Even if it were more restrictive than the factory box you could still jet the carb so the machine would run right.

Also if it were rich it would be more likely to have a problem at low RPM's, not falling on it's face at WOT. That's an indication of being lean, not rich. Listen to the bike, don't try to tell it what it should want.

knappyfeet
07-24-2017, 08:48 PM
So my factory air box WITH a lid holds and flows more air than this CFM box with no lid. I'm so confused irritated and now relieved.

That airbox looks real trick and nice Shawn.......but I mentioned it in the beginning of the thread. Stock airboxs do way more than just house the filter....they are resonators. They are designed by motorcycle engineers to enhance aspects of engine behavior like starting, power.......and ESPECIALLY midrange performance. And I don't know if you changed out cams or what but most manufactures ........of even singles......take into account snorkel length and demensions and are...for lack of a better term...."tuned" to intake cam timing. Since 90% of engine problems are intake/carburetor related....changing the airbox can have an effect on running conditions.

I'm glad you figured it out. It's a nice 350

Edit...

I may be wrong but I doubt that this airbox has any real engineering behind its design....other that fitment. And if I remember right I think you even had a problem with that

Shawn Powell
07-24-2017, 11:11 PM
Fabio , I did try to Rich it up originally because I knew I wasn't running a lid. Dropped a a 155 in there wouldn't run. Went to a 148 ran but worse. Kept going down. My factory box with no lid runs a bit lean with a 142 at low elevation perfect with the lid.
Knappy , you did warn me about that and I took that into consideration but I do have product that works very well on other bikes from the same company.
After talking to a couple of old school builders about it they both said the same thing that if you decrease the air volume without adding air flow any four stroke will fall on its face. I think without the snorkel or at least the snorkel hole there there's not enough flow coming from the top at high Rpms.
It runs well now and that air box is going back. Hopefully I get a refund. If not , lesson learned.

knappyfeet
07-25-2017, 12:16 AM
I'm going through kinda the same thing with an old SOHC 750 that I removed the air box long ago on. I had cheap emgo pod filters on it but decided to purchase the K&Ns. Not only did I remove the air box but I grinded the mounting tabs off so now I'm up a creek. But hey.......I thought it looked cool all the while knowing the importance of the stock airbox......even way back then when I did it.

I started a thread on another forum about the cheapo pods vs the higher cost K&Ns.........only to really find out either choice was last on the list....compared to other options. It's proven the stock airbox system is superior to any other setup......period. Of course some argue at WOT less restriction induces more flow but manufacturers are smarter than all of us combined and design systems perfect for specific applications. Sometimes we think Honda is too stupid to know that removing an airbox lid = more flow which = more HP......duh!

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/general/34274-emgo-pods-vs-k-n-pod-vs-precharger-vs-whatever.html

Shawn Powell
07-25-2017, 11:43 AM
I'm going through kinda the same thing with an old SOHC 750 that I removed the air box long ago on. I had cheap emgo pod filters on it but decided to purchase the K&Ns. Not only did I remove the air box but I grinded the mounting tabs off so now I'm up a creek. But hey.......I thought it looked cool all the while knowing the importance of the stock airbox......even way back then when I did it.

I started a thread on another forum about the cheapo pods vs the higher cost K&Ns.........only to really find out either choice was last on the list....compared to other options. It's proven the stock airbox system is superior to any other setup......period. Of course some argue at WOT less restriction induces more flow but manufacturers are smarter than all of us combined and design systems perfect for specific applications. Sometimes we think Honda is too stupid to know that removing an airbox lid = more flow which = more HP......duh!

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/general/34274-emgo-pods-vs-k-n-pod-vs-precharger-vs-whatever.html

I did exactly that to a Suzuki lt500 quadzilla. Used 2" custom car intake ubing from spectre and it upped it to 3" by the filter with a k and n filter. No air box filter kinda hung out of the frame a bit. Ran like a demon. But from what I've been told 4 strokes need that air volume.

Dirtcrasher
07-27-2017, 11:12 PM
I don't run those carbs or air box lids but my 350X is an animal with a 185 main jet in it.

The 200X has no air box but the R n D work done last winter seems to have solved the velocity issues with a 150 main jet in it but I do have plans for getting that pod filter positioned differently than it is now. It will require extensive frame work with relocation of some other properly engineered products I'll destroy in the pursuit of MORE POWA!! :lol:

Shawn Powell
07-28-2017, 12:45 PM
I don't run those carbs or air box lids but my 350X is an animal with a 185 main jet in it.

The 200X has no air box but the R n D work done last winter seems to have solved the velocity issues with a 150 main jet in it but I do have plans for getting that pod filter positioned differently than it is now. It will require extensive frame work with relocation of some other properly engineered products I'll destroy in the pursuit of MORE POWA!! :lol:

Wow, a 185? With a stock carb? What do you have done to the motor at that point? Even with no lid and a k and n I initially tried a 160 and it wouldn't even run. That was with a 400ex carb though.

Dirtcrasher
07-28-2017, 02:33 PM
No sir, as I said "I don't run those carbs".

The 452 flat tracker should be done soon (for Hamlin NEEDT) and that will probably swallow a 200 main jet....

Shawn Powell
07-28-2017, 05:05 PM
No sir, as I said "I don't run those carbs".

The 452 flat tracker should be done soon (for Hamlin NEEDT) and that will probably swallow a 200 main jet....

So what carb do you run? 450r or the FCR carb? Do tell sir.

jb2wheels
07-28-2017, 05:59 PM

My family's experience with multiple Suzukis (think GS850, 1000, 1100 era) is exactly the same. They love their stock intake systems. Even removing a "snorkel" screws things up.