PDA

View Full Version : Rear chain guides?

ironchop
04-24-2017, 10:26 AM
I'm wondering why ATVs don't have a lower rear chain guide like a dirtbike.

I thought maybe it's because they have skid plates but those aren't designed to guide chains either.

Anyone know the answer?

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

schlepp29
04-24-2017, 11:16 AM
I always wondered that myself

83ATC185
04-24-2017, 12:45 PM
Maybe there's not as much suspension travel/geometry change, therefore no need for a rear guide to keep the chain on?

Maybe its there on a dirtbike to keep your tattered pants leg from going into the sprocket after it gets caught in the chain.

Maybe trikes don't have them because there is pecievably less of a chance of a catastrophe happening when the chain jumps and wraps around the axle on a trike as compared to a dirtbike.

Just speculation...

El Camexican
04-24-2017, 01:38 PM
The Tri-Z has one.

I've always assumed that they acted as protectors of the sprocket, guides for a chain that might be getting a little loose and as a way of keeping unwanted things out of the sprocket. There are stories of road racers that have lost their toes to a rear sprocket.

The only downside to having one is they can get bent off to the side and some limit your gearing choices a little. but others like the KTM dirt bikes have multiple positioning holes..

ironchop
04-24-2017, 01:43 PM
...The Tri-Z has one...

So it would be useful on an ATV.

I would think a good aftermarket skid plate could protect the guide from getting bent sideways. I've done that to a dirtbike riding off a creek bank and landed in between two big rocks.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

yaegerb
04-24-2017, 03:03 PM
Banshee has one too. I always thought they were a good add

fabiodriven
04-24-2017, 04:26 PM
If I recall correctly, the A1/A2 Tecates had a chain guide of sorts, possibly even the B1/B2's as well.

christph
04-25-2017, 12:32 AM
If I recall correctly, the A1/A2 Tecates had a chain guide of sorts, possibly even the B1/B2's as well.

I never saw them as guides so much as guards to protect the chain and disc brake. They were one of the worst design features of the Tecates as they lasted all of 1 or 2 rides before they took a hit and bent. They needed to have a full skid plate with some heavy gage aluminum or steel.