PDA

View Full Version : 86 250sx fork bushings

MulletMan420
04-14-2017, 12:42 PM
So, my ole 86 250sx was in desperate need of some front fork attention, so I decided to rebuild them. I purchased the All Balls seal kits, disassembled the forks, cleaned everything up and was ready to go. I did have an issue removing my axel though. After 20 minutes of heat and clamping it in the lathe for a better grip we finally got it out. Then we had to press the axel out of the bearings with a hydrolic press. After that whole procedure, a new axel was needed. Luckily I found a really nice one on Ebay. So, now comes my current issue. Upon further inspection of my forks, we noticed the coating on my bushings were peeling, and would need to be replaced. The part diagram in the manual, and on most online parts sites do not even show the bushings. Has anybody else had this issue, and would anyone be able to recommend where I can get new bushings? I've contacted Race Tech and Hygear with no luck. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!(typed up on my phone so excuse any typos or etc)

MulletMan420
04-14-2017, 12:47 PM
The measurement on the bushing is: OD 36mm x ID 33mmx H 8mm x W 1.5mm

Dirtcrasher
04-14-2017, 12:48 PM
The coating is worn because there wasn't enough oil in them OR, one or both tubes are bent.

Thay are all 33mm tubes 200X or 250SX.

I think I read "lathe?" - Buy the 200X bushings and trim them to fit. I do not see them for sale OEM?? Weird....

I'd buy 85/86/87 200X bushings if your teflon is gone.

You can also upgrade to a 200X front end very easily; All you need is a steering stop, they slide right in your top steel. lower aluminum - fork clamps....

MulletMan420
04-14-2017, 05:19 PM
Thanks for your help! I was really surprised to not see the bushings listed on the 250sx diagram, or even in the manual. Yes, lathe. We had to clamp my axel in the triple clamp to get a grip on it, due do the head being completely stripped. I work at "4th coast 4s" machine shop in Waddington, in case any one is familiar. We deal mainly with vintage Henderson and Indian 4 cylinders. So, I have all the machining tools at my disposal. Any info on how much the 200x bushings will need to be modified? Also, will the "slider bush" that goes into the bottom of the fork tube fit as well? My guess on the teflon being worn is due to lack of oil, as it was leaking all over the place. I'll check my tubes to make sure they are both all straight tomorrow, which believe they should be ok. Again, thanks for the help! I don't post on here nearly as much as I'd like too, but always receive great help!

MulletMan420
04-14-2017, 05:21 PM
As far as the 200x front end swap. That is something I've been considering for awhile, and would like to try. But, due to cost at the moment, and tons of other projects, I'd like to just restore my original front end

350for350
04-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Personally, I love the disc brake on my sx with a 200x front end. I'd recommend it just for that reason alone.

Dirtcrasher
04-15-2017, 12:38 PM
You could simply order 661 Bronze bushings oil impregnated and machine to fit.

I wanna know what's in the forks!! Take em apart...

I use my mill and lathe damn near everyday.

I couldn't live without them!!

barnett468
04-15-2017, 12:45 PM
We deal mainly with vintage Henderson and Indian 4 cylinders.

Wow, very cool . Do you have any you want to sell?

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

MulletMan420
04-16-2017, 11:38 AM
I ordered a set of the 200x bushings, so we will see how close those are. I will make sure to take some detailed pictures and post them next time I get to them.

And yes, occasionally we do have bikes for sale, or sell them for others. If anyone is interested at all in knowing more about 4th Coast just let me know