PDA

View Full Version : Starter turning backwards???

jakeesspoo
04-13-2017, 09:20 AM
In a previous thread I was speaking about getting good spark with the recoil starter but no spark with the electric starter. So I thought on it a little bit and last night I went out to barn and removed the timin cap. By the way this is on a big red. When I pull the recoil starter it turns in a counterclockwise rotation and I have normal spark When I tried the electric start it spins in a clockwise rotation and even turn the engine over I pulled out the starter and hooked it up to a battery to see the rotation of it and then I tried another starter that I had laying around from a big red and it's the same rotation I double checked that my starter solenoid wires were coming straight from the positive terminal of the battery and not somehow swapped around. I also tried it directly jumping to the starter. From everything I am seeing the starter seems to turn in the correct rotation It does not look like either starter has ever been tampered with and spun around internally I took the pull starter off and removed the cover to expose the starter gears All appeared to be well in tact and not missing any parts according to my clymer manual. The large gear in the back that I believe the timing chain goes to will spin with the engine compression resistance in it. And if you spin The gear clockwise it just free wheels as I believe it should Are there any thoughts on this I'm starting to lose my mind as it's not like the gearing can be backwards I ran out of time last night to put the gears back in and the starter so I am going to try to do that tonight but I really changed nothing so I expect nothing to change as far as the operation that I previously had

jakeesspoo
04-13-2017, 09:24 AM
Until I took the Timing cap off I would have never expected that the engine was turning backwards because when I had the plug out it was obviously turning the engine over I had my thumb over the spark plug hole feeling it turn over

fabiodriven
04-13-2017, 09:42 AM
You already have a thread on this. Why would you start another one?

jakeesspoo
04-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Because now the problem seems isolated so I figured it would be easier for people in future to use the search function if they have this problem. Why bother responding anything if there's nothing insightful to say? I always use the search function before I post a question and 95% of the time I find my answer this way without having to start a new thread

fabiodriven
04-13-2017, 05:58 PM
Because I was thinking the exact opposite. I was thinking about people searching for starter issues and finding your previous thread unfinished.

jakeesspoo
04-13-2017, 08:21 PM
The two answers I got from previous thread were to pull the bike with my truck and try another starter.

I went back out tonight and re-assembled starter and noe it's turning incorrect direction but still no spark. I have no idea how or why it could have possibly been spinning backwards. I don't even remember where this starter came from but all I did was run it on and off on the bench 20-30 times at about 7 sec intervals before I replaced it. At work I have seen and been able to get ac current PSC motors to run in opposite direction and I have heard about scroll compressors starting backwards even on single phase but I'm not sure if this is possible with dc current. It seems like the ac motors I spoke of running backwards would start in that direction of there was less physical resistance on armature in that rotational direction. Anyhow I now have electric starter spinning in proper direction, no spark with electric starter, spark with pull starter, and a new cdi. Thinking maybe I have a weak ignition coil. Does a higher resistance reading on s exciter coil mean better output? They say this coil can go from 150-400 ohms and be good.

mendoAu
04-13-2017, 09:58 PM
jake,....first thing please put a space between "incorrect" in your above post. Ya know, just so people...etc.(turning incorrect direction)

I posted a similar question about taking a starter out and somehow reversing polarity but did enough research to find out that it won't happen with these starters.
You didn't say if you've tried to "jump start" it with a vehicle/big ol 12v battery.
The current for your spark plug comes from the coil either with pull or elect. starter so I would assume coil and cdi is o.k..
But somewhere thru those threads is a comment about your elect. starter yanking alot of juice and if your battery is just so so you may lack energy for a proper spark.
Step one...jump start it.

jakeesspoo
04-13-2017, 10:22 PM
Yes that is what I have been using as a power source is a car/light truck battery fully charged