PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! 83 250r won't start

Dawsman
04-12-2017, 08:35 PM
First time I've had it running since I got it over a year ago, just had the top and rebuilt and properly broke it in, was on the first ride on it then I went thru the Ditch (some water splash on the motor don't know if this has anything to do with the issue) and then it just started to bog out and stalled then wouldn't start, let it sit for about 10 minutes then it started again and ran good for about 5 minutes till the same thing happened again but won't start at all now, has spark and the Carburetter appereas to be good, would appreciate any suggestions thanks!

dirtydozn
04-12-2017, 08:43 PM
if you have spark and the top end was redone then the only thing left is fuel and air check for air leaks loose bolt gasket etc.. and make sure that no junk in the tank got in the carb. and check your valves the adjustment screw was out on mine when I got it just sitting in the top of the head and I saw on u tube it happened to another guy on fresh motor

Ghostv2
04-12-2017, 09:08 PM
if you have spark and the top end was redone then the only thing left is fuel and air check for air leaks loose bolt gasket etc.. and make sure that no junk in the tank got in the carb. and check your valves the adjustment screw was out on mine when I got it just sitting in the top of the head and I saw on u tube it happened to another guy on fresh motor

It's a two stroke, no valves in the head.

Really you are just going to have to go over it all unless you can figure out which component is causing it (air/fuel/spark/compression). IF in fact the water had something to do with it then it has to be a leak. Water and electronics, water in fuel or carb, an o-ring, seal, gasket, something failed to protect it. Full on leakdown test.

If it wasn't water that caused it and it just so happens to occur at that moment you crossed the water just go back to the air/fuel/spark routine. Check plug condition and test spark, clean carb and test fuel flow, make sure fuels getting to the cylinder, make sure you don't have an air obstruction or dirty filter. Compression check once more just to make sure it's not a top end problem with a new motor. You just have to get back to basics and go from there.

dirtydozn
04-12-2017, 09:10 PM
your right ghost that is a two stroke. my bad

350for350
04-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Don't bother to check the valves. I promise that's not the issue with your 250R!.

yaegerb
04-13-2017, 12:28 AM
First time I've had it running since I got it over a year ago, just had the top and rebuilt and properly broke it in, was on the first ride on it then I went thru the Ditch (some water splash on the motor don't know if this has anything to do with the issue) and then it just started to bog out and stalled then wouldn't start, let it sit for about 10 minutes then it started again and ran good for about 5 minutes till the same thing happened again but won't start at all now, has spark and the Carburetter appereas to be good, would appreciate any suggestions thanks!

Are you running an airbox or a clamp on pod in the back of the carb?