PDA

View Full Version : No spark with starter only pull?

jakeesspoo
04-10-2017, 09:29 PM
Got a new Cdi and I have spark now. Strangely I only have spark though with the pull starter. The electric start won't do a thing. It has a fully charged battery and seems to have the same rpms as my other electric starts but nothing. Pull the rope and spark. When I ohmed out the exciter coil I had around 200 ohms. My Honda manual called for somewhere between 100-400. I'm wondering if I found a exciter at the 400 ohm range if my spark would become visible? Also can I find just the exciter for this model? I ordered one for a 185 last month and just soldered it in. But this is a different coil now. It's the stator with the coil built around it in a circle

jakeesspoo
04-11-2017, 09:58 PM
Any thoughts???? The only thing I can think of is that the starter is not spinning fast enough or that the exciter coil is weak but would hate to have to buy another stator when I clearly have good spark with pull start

350for350
04-11-2017, 10:16 PM
If you have another starter that will work on this trike, swap them out and see what happens.

mendoAu
04-11-2017, 11:55 PM
Try jump starting it with your truck/car. I had a semi-weak battery that did the same thing. Starter sounded good but starters also draw power away from other systems. Pull starter dosen't. I assume that the starter is turning over the engine. Just take the plug out and you can tell. Also with the plug out try a new one.