PDA

View Full Version : If Yamaha made a new Tri-Z 250

the tecate kid
04-06-2017, 06:46 PM
After many years of not attending Trikefest , last year I dusted off some of the trikes, packed up the tent and coolers and came back. Needless to say I had just about as much fun as the law allows.... Watching my son racing the old Project Tri Moto 175, and breaking his 110 in half really put the bug to go racing again back in me. I thought I would share what I have been working on for this years Trikefest. Not quite the quality of my old Cal Fab Tecate, but unlike it, this one actually should function as well as it looks due to the mixture of new technology and utilizing both modern 2-stroke dirt bike engineering and modern race quad suspension. We shall see...... I took one Very used 85 Tri Z, combined with a 2005 YZ 250 2-stroke engine and front forks with a 2008 YFZ 450 quad rear end. There is a lot left to do, but I think I am off to a decent start.

El Camexican
04-06-2017, 06:51 PM
If he rides it anything like that 175 they'll be roost half way to the shoe tree!

the tecate kid
04-06-2017, 06:54 PM
Some pictures of progress

the tecate kid
04-06-2017, 07:00 PM
241754241753lol. I hope he can stay on the track this time!

the tecate kid
04-06-2017, 07:22 PM
I got the pipe installed today, along with the air filter. Luckily the stock YZ 250 boot fits perfect. As you can see, I went with a center mount approach with the silencer...... I always thought it looked slick on the Quadracer 450

christph
04-06-2017, 07:35 PM
Wow, that YZ engine looks like a good fit. Did you have to do any major frame mods to get it in? Did the Z brackets work too or did you have to fab some?

the tecate kid
04-06-2017, 07:44 PM
No frame mods for the engine other than the bottom engine mount. The stock Z brackets would not work so I just made some new aluminum ones. I also had to lengthen the headpipe about 3 inches to clear the front frame tube. The suspension required a lot of work to the shock and linkage mounts to make the quad items work. I relocated the top shock mount as high as I could in the frame so that I could run a longer Fox shock for more travel.

OZQUAD44
04-06-2017, 09:11 PM
Great looking build, I especially love the fact you've gone for a modem two stroke. Apparently those yz250 motors rip!

Is someone selling those top mount tanks, or is that something you got made, specially?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the tecate kid
04-06-2017, 09:30 PM
Flyin Brian here from the board made that for me. . Jason Hall made the triples for it to run the YZ inverted forks.. These guys are true artists.

350for350
04-06-2017, 09:44 PM
That's sweet! Unfortunately, Yamaha is the only one that would make this. Honda and Kawasaki would use a 250F instead of the proper two stroke.

6spdls1z28
04-06-2017, 10:08 PM
Amazing I love it

ATCeeya
04-06-2017, 11:06 PM
Definately awesome!

El Camexican
04-07-2017, 05:56 AM
I can't stop starting at this thing!

Looking forward to seeing how the cooling hoses and kick start workout for you. I worked on a WR250 engine a few years back and noticed that it was very close to the same dimensions at the Tri-Z cases.

Great to see someone with ambition and talent make this happen.:beer

the tecate kid
04-07-2017, 07:45 AM
Still ironing out the coolant hoses, but as far as the kickstart goes, I switched the lever to one off of a YZ 125, it fits perfect and I only had to trim a little bit off of the fender so that it would clear.

schlepp29
04-07-2017, 08:14 AM
Looking great can't wait to hang out with you guys again

schlepp29
04-07-2017, 08:25 AM
What class will you guys be running that in for trikefest?

El Camexican
04-07-2017, 09:10 AM
Is it just the photo, or are you going to need to add a few inches to that shift lever?

the tecate kid
04-07-2017, 12:08 PM
I'm sure I will run it in the old guys class, I'm not sure what class/classes my son will ride this year..... He's going to bring the YFZ this year too to air out on the big track.
What class will you guys be running that in for trikefest?

OZQUAD44
04-07-2017, 12:10 PM
How far away are you from putting the front end on.

the tecate kid
04-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Good eye. You are absolutely right about the lever, I'm simply going to use the stock TRI Z shifter. Just haven't around to it yet. I also have to space out the front sprocket half an inch to line up with the rear sprocket.
Is it just the photo, or are you going to need to add a few inches to that shift lever?

the tecate kid
04-07-2017, 12:13 PM
The triple clamps are at the polisher right now and waiting on the forks to be shortened as we speak....
How far away are you from putting the front end on.

El Camexican
04-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Good eye. You are absolutely right about the lever, I'm simply going to use the stock TRI Z shifter. Just haven't around to it yet. I also have to space out the front sprocket half an inch to line up with the rear sprocket.

It looks like the YZ shift shaft is located further towards the rear of the engine than a Tri-Z shaft. I hope the needed extra length doesn't increase the throw so much that it's an issue.

the tecate kid
04-07-2017, 03:11 PM
You would be surprised how absolutely nothing is similar on these engines. My tri moto uses parts from the early 70's all the way to the early 90's. Water cooled, air cooled, YZ, Blaster, IT, you name it I probably robbed parts off of it......Yamaha must have really started with a blank sheet of paper for these new 2-strokes.

Red Rider
04-07-2017, 08:08 PM
Nice work so far tecate kid. I'm wondering why no one has done this sooner.

the tecate kid
04-09-2017, 09:51 PM
Well I actually had the day off after Monster Jam today so I got a little bit accomplished on the Tri Z. Got the fuel tank and petcock from the YZ mounted. I had to use the YZ's because the fuel line used on the dirt bike is much larger than what would normally be used on a Tri Z or older YZ. I also mounted the rear fender and just sat the seat on to see how the color scheme will look. I test fitted the radiators and shrouds to see how they were going to work out. To my surprise they bolt on and clear everything like factory! I am relieved to say the least.... The only modification will be to trim the right side shroud slightly to give it more room from the expansion chamber. Lastly I switched the shift lever off of my old Tri Z engine. It bolted right up and gave me the extra length I needed.....Hope you enjoy.

OZQUAD44
04-10-2017, 09:08 AM
Am I correct in the understanding that your using the YZ radiators, and front forks?

Also, I can't stop drooling at that top tank, how much does it hold? Looks bigger underneath than some of the top mount tanks I've seen. I just love how the shape of the tank mirrors the standard air box cover. Me like it ALOT.

the tecate kid
04-10-2017, 07:29 PM
I am using Tri Z radiators. The YZ ones are too long, and much thinner. I wanted to be able to use my stock shrouds so the Tri Z radiators made more sense. Anything is possible though. Flyin Brian made the tank. I agree, it is a work of art. Not sure how much it holds.. Thanks for the compliments.

3 Wheel Drive
04-11-2017, 01:43 PM
That a sweet Tri Z!!! You should look into some of the wrench report mods! ;) I think Mosh said those tanks hold 2.5 gallons of fuel.

the tecate kid
04-11-2017, 04:05 PM
That a sweet Tri Z!!! You should look into some of the wrench report mods! ;) I think Mosh said those tanks hold 2.5 gallons of fuel.

Exactly! I added the reed spacer and stealthy flywheel weight and pro circuit pipe. This thing should really rip. Working on the sprocket alignment issue right now. Had to take a break for a beer. Or 6

the tecate kid
04-13-2017, 08:46 PM
A little update. Got the rear brakes bled and working, got the kicker trimmed a little to clear the master cylinder when starting and got the radiator shrouds mounted. Waiting on some new sprockets, the new aluminum radiators and the front end to come in.......

6spdls1z28
04-13-2017, 09:45 PM
Such beautiful work I'd love to jump that thing.

Eric250R
04-13-2017, 11:27 PM
Absolutely top notch, but I expected nothing less. Look forward to seeing it !!

crazycooter
04-14-2017, 01:57 AM
Wow! Nice work! I bet it will be a blast to ride too!

the tecate kid
04-14-2017, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys, but honestly don't get your hopes up too high LOL, this is a budget build...... I'm trying to make a nice rider without taking out a second mortgage this time!

OZQUAD44
04-14-2017, 07:58 AM
Coming along nicely tecate kid, it's looking awesome. If that's one of your cheap builds, I can't imaging what a top dollar build looks like.

Are you thinking of rigging up some sort of air box to give your air filter a bit more protection. It looks very vulnerable sitting there like that.

the tecate kid
04-14-2017, 03:43 PM
I have given it some thought, but to be honest the only time the Trike will be ridden is a TT/flat track events. It shouldn't be an issue......... I run open filters on most everything I have. I may switch it to a pod style if it becomes an issue.
Coming along nicely tecate kid, it's looking awesome. If that's one of your cheap builds, I can't imaging what a top dollar build looks like.

Are you thinking of rigging up some sort of air box to give your air filter a bit more protection. It looks very vulnerable sitting there like that.

the tecate kid
04-14-2017, 03:53 PM
This one was a bit expensive to build. just because of the rare parts.......

OZQUAD44
04-14-2017, 07:07 PM
Ah yes, how could I forget your aluminium tank tecate, the coolest tecate going before it was cool to do them up.[emoji846]

Do you still have it, or has it moved on to greener pastures. I think your Tri z, and your tecate, would look great side by side.

the tecate kid
04-14-2017, 08:11 PM
Unfortunately due to a sagging economy years ago I had to let it go......... But yes they would be best friends. lol

the tecate kid
04-15-2017, 05:21 PM
I didn't like how high the rear was sitting so I ordered this lowering link. I sent a picture to Jason Hall and he immediately noticed that the linkage needs to be even longer to get the pivot points correct so that I can use all of my suspension travel properly. Luckily I have a link from our YFZ 450R laying around and it is even longer than the one I bought. Sweet! Thanks Jason!

the tecate kid
06-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Finally had a chance to to ride today. It occurred to me that I never did post any pics of the Tri Z completed...... so here a a couple. Its pretty dirty but you get the idea. I hope you enjoy.

6spdls1z28
06-04-2017, 10:24 PM
Thing looks great how does it jump?

the tecate kid
06-04-2017, 10:38 PM
It's very stable, great jumper, however the rear is a tad stiff for my taste. The fox shock is for the YFZ which weighs much more, so therefore I need to put a softer spring. I'm probably going to build a longer shock linkage as well to lower the bike for TT style tracks.

xrider
06-05-2017, 08:14 AM
Looks fantastic man!!

6spdls1z28
06-05-2017, 10:20 AM
It's very stable, great jumper, however the rear is a tad stiff for my taste. The fox shock is for the YFZ which weighs much more, so therefore I need to put a softer spring. I'm probably going to build a longer shock linkage as well to lower the bike for TT style tracks.

Does the shock have different settings?

the tecate kid
06-06-2017, 06:37 AM
Yes, I softened it all the way up but its still too harsh. I am in the process of building a longer linkage right now to lower the rear a bit more. Hopefully the extra leverage will be enough???? Thanks for the compliments.
Does the shock have different settings?

6spdls1z28
06-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Yes, I softened it all the way up but its still too harsh. I am in the process of building a longer linkage right now to lower the rear a bit more. Hopefully the extra leverage will be enough???? Thanks for the compliments.

Changing the linkage will help I've swapped the one around on my bike you can definitely feel the difference.

the tecate kid
06-06-2017, 10:15 PM
I wonder what class this thing will be able to race at Trikefest?

the tecate kid
06-11-2017, 08:51 PM
Thing looks great how does it jump? Thought I should give it a test ride today with the new linkage and to my surprise................. broke the shock shaft clean in half! thank god it happened at home and not on the track........

6spdls1z28
06-12-2017, 10:00 AM
That's scary

Red Rider
06-12-2017, 02:11 PM
I'm wondering if this is due to the leverage ratio/geometry possibly being incorrect. Is the shock coming into contact with anything?

the tecate kid
06-12-2017, 02:56 PM
No it was clear. but I am with you, maybe adding that longer linkage put too much pressure on the shock? It was used off of ebay though so who knows.

El Camexican
06-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Excuse my ignorance on the subject as I've never used one of these, but in looking at the photos it would seem to me that you would need a 3rd connection, or a "fixed" point on any plate between the shock and its original pivot point in order to keep it from "tipping" one way or another and putting the load out of parallel with the shock shaft? I'd expect that the result of any side loading of that shaft would look a lot like yours does now.