PDA

View Full Version : 1978 atc 90

skidoo99
04-04-2017, 01:44 PM
so, i found this bike on a local craigslist ad and had to take a chance to save it. have never owned one of these bikes before as i typically stick to the suspended bikes. (now that im having my first child figured it would be good to start a collection) i know that im going to be needing some odds and ends. exhaust is flattened underneath, recoils toast, and shes pretty well rusted up. this is how we find them in the northeast.

skidoo99
04-04-2017, 01:46 PM
oh, and it did come with rear fenders and a seat but the plastics were trashed and the seat looks like i could hit it with the weed wacker, how readily avaliable are parts for this ole girl?

HairyJR
04-04-2017, 02:39 PM
Going to take a lot of love to bring back from the dead, still many parts are available. Tank and foot leg assembly are not original to a 78 model, came off a early edition US90.

"HJ" 241684 :beer

Joseph Farrow
04-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Ebay, Ebay, Ebay
You can find anything you want.

skidoo99
04-04-2017, 05:08 PM
ya ive been doing some browsing, just wanted to find some info on this bike. i knew something was off with the tank being orange and all. thanks for the replies, gonna start digging into this soon. pics will follow!!!

350for350
04-04-2017, 09:36 PM
The best part of using one of these to teach young kids how to ride is the low range. They won't know or even care whether it's in high or low once they start riding. That's why I used one to teach a couple of neighbor kids about 10 years ago.

skidoo99
04-06-2017, 09:27 PM
That's a good point, never even thought of that option. Thanks

350for350
04-06-2017, 09:53 PM
You're welcome. When I finally let them get out of my yard and onto the dirt roads, (don't worry, it's VERY rural around here) they couldn't even tell the difference when I put it into high range. They were just excited to be riding somewhere other than in my yard. They couldn't tell the difference, but I could. I made them go only in first until they learned to control it. Then it was first and second and shifting back and forth. They couldn't leave the yard until they could go from a standing start, shift into third, and then come to a stop while downshifting back to first. I was overprotective, but at least they didn't get hurt.

coolpool
04-08-2017, 10:34 AM
Hairy eluded to this and I applaud your efforts, but I think this is one of those deals where you could buy a decent running one for half of what it's going to cost to get that one going. I suspect you don't know if it "ran when parked" or shifts yet? If I were you I'd be looking for a parts machine, might be able to make one from two. I wish you the best of luck and will ship what you need for cheap if I have it.