PDA

View Full Version : Oil residue on ATC 185s Cylinder

Bernard3rd
04-03-2017, 11:03 PM
Hello All

I Recently Purchased a 1983 ATC 185s, and cleaned it up. All of the bones of this unit are really pretty good. After running it for a bit, I noticed some oil Residue on the front part of the cylinder.

My first thought is to check the torque of the Cylinder stud nuts, and then if that doesn't work, that I will probably need to replace the cylinder and head gaskets.

It seems as though the OEM Cylinder gasket is still available, but that the head gasket is not...

Does anyone have a good substitute brand of gaskets, or any other ideas of the possible source of the oil residue?

Thanks so much guys

Bernard241571

El Camexican
04-03-2017, 11:53 PM
Looks like it's seeping from an oil passage between the head and the cylinder. Best way to find out exactly where its coming from is spray the area with WD-40 and let it soak for at least an hour (a day is better) and then slosh dish soap over the area (Dawn works great), but don't get the soap on any wires. Let that soak for at least an hour and then pressure wash the area (don't blast the spray directly at a gasket or seal) and let it dry.

At this point the area should be clean and dry. Get in there nice and close with a flash light and look for any leftover oil residue. If you find some you can spray carb cleaner on a Q-Tip and wipe it clean. Start it up and keep checking every 15 minutes or so for fresh oil. You should be able to see where it's coming from. Odds are you'll need to remove the head, replace the gasket and perhaps lap the mating surfaces as well.

Seldom does re-torqueing a head stop a leak, but it may slow it down if the bolts were loose to start with.

ZacH_GrifF
04-04-2017, 12:37 AM
Theres also an oring that goes around one of the head bolts where the head gasket sits dont forget to replace it too.

shortline10
04-04-2017, 01:54 AM
Very common problem with that motor , you can use an Atc200 head gasket with no issues and it should still be available threw Honda .

Scootertrash
04-04-2017, 07:46 AM
Cometic gasket kit

Bernard3rd
04-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the info guys

Bernard3rd
04-06-2017, 11:57 PM
ZacH,

i am not able to find the part/o ring to which you refer. Do you know where they can be obtained and, are you able to recall to which head bolt it corresponds?

Thanks so much,

Bernard

ZacH_GrifF
04-07-2017, 01:33 AM
ZacH,

i am not able to find the part/o ring to which you refer. Do you know where they can be obtained and, are you able to recall to which head bolt it corresponds?

Thanks so much,

Bernard

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/506f8a07f8700229747b939e/cylinder

This should show you the oring and placement.