PDA

View Full Version : 84 200es starter rotation

mendoAu
03-30-2017, 02:12 PM
Here's where I'm at today. Had some electric start issues the last few days so I removed the starter and took it apart. Found out that when I tightened up the positive wire connection the other day the whole bolt that has the two internal copper tabs inside the starter twisted and seperated from the strange seating area at the end of the bolt. Took a little time to clean and solder them back onto the bolt. Took the side covers off to inspect everything and check the condition of the starting gears. All looks good. But last night (in the rain) reinstalled the starter and....I think somehow I reversed the rotation of the starter. It spins all the gears nicely but is not turning the motor over. Checked the large gear on the crankshaft and no slop/wobble and spins one way and engages the other way...all seems fine. Stopped work to come inside and pour the water out of my boots. Still raining outside this morning so waiting for a break in the weather to proceed. Is it as simple as opening up the starter and rotating the brushes 180 degrees or did I screw up by soldering the leads to the bolt. Are they "spring loaded" to that bolt post or something? There is about an 1/8 of an inch of "play" on the armature/shaft. Need a little help please.