PDA

View Full Version : shockingly good question

85200xer
12-06-2002, 01:40 AM
I went to town today and bought a shock for $70 and I think its a P.O.S you push down on the rear bumper and it just pops back up. real springy ride. I poked the recharger stem and no nitrogen came out! I was wondering how much it would cost to fill it up and will it get rid of it just poping back up fast. roll Thanks for the info

GlennMc
12-06-2002, 08:55 AM
Adding nitrogen wont help the situation, It will actually make it worse by acting as a spring. It sounds like there is no oil in the shock. Provide more info about the type , new or used etc. and myself or others can throw a few more educated guesses around. GlennMc.

12-06-2002, 09:51 AM
It sounds as though theres no nitrogen in the shock.If there is no visible sign of oil leakage,that would be my first guess.If theres no nitrogen in it and you think there might not be any oil in it either,crack the banjo bolt where the line goes in the shock to see if theres oil in it.Note:just crack the banjo bolt open,you don't want to let very much oil out if there is any in it.If too much oil is let out you unequalize the oil in the shock and you end up with an air bubble in the shock which is no good.

TimSr
12-06-2002, 03:12 PM
Damping (which is what you dont have) is controlled by the oil in it. If you dont have any oil in it, it came out through the seals which means they are no good. Your shock is blown, but they probably cleaned it up nice so you wouldnt notice the oil all over the shaft. You didnt mention what kind of shock this is, and where is goes, so Ill guess its a three wheeler rear shock. Some are rebuildbale. Others are not. Honda shocks dont blow all that frequently, and you can usually find a used one at a low price, depeding on which model. If its a Yamaha, they are infamous for having a 3-5 year lifespan if youre lucky. Rebuilds are usually a few hundred$$, and most people hunt for a used warrior shock, which work well, but also blow frequently, so they are a lot more expensive than used Honda ones, usually around $125-$150.