PDA

View Full Version : Tecate guys chime in....86 T3

ATCeeya
03-27-2017, 11:46 PM
Found me a tecate. It's missing the flywheel & stator. Hasnt run in a long time. Guy said it kicks over fine. He also said it's on original tires with no dryrot. I don't know tecate at all. What's the value, and do you notice anything that would be worth knowing??

6bt
03-27-2017, 11:47 PM
How much?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3 Wheel Drive
03-28-2017, 12:32 AM
It's pretty complete, I'd bring at least 3k and start small. The parts it's missing are not hard to replace.

If the guy does not know the market very well, tell him you looked up some basic rebuild kits and parts are not available.

Do the rear fenders have the 2 seat hooks and rear fender support mounted to them?

christph
03-28-2017, 12:40 AM
It looks pretty rough but if you are into the restoration process and don't want to spend a bunch of money up front, it may be worth it. From what I can see the handlebars, silencer, and airbox cover are not original. Where is the rear grab bar? 2nd generation Tecates are getting pretty rare these days and only going up in price. Without seeing it in person (which can make a big difference), I would say anywhere from $1000 to $1600. Make sure the frame is not cracked or bent, the cases are good, etc.

Red Rider
03-28-2017, 01:45 AM
He also said it's on original tires with no dryrot.Those are not the original tires for that Tecate, but maybe for the 84-85 Tecate.

thornton
03-28-2017, 06:38 AM
im interested in it if u get it and want to make a deal. im looking to add one to my collection.i have a few things i would be willing to trade let me know thanks my cell is (716)378-8705

86T3
03-28-2017, 08:17 AM
I think the air box cover is original, it's just painted and has holes drilled in it. Rear fender is a dull maier, not sure about the front. As much as I hate to admit it the prices on these have gone up a lot in the last 6-8 months, thats probably a $2500 machine.

OZQUAD44
03-28-2017, 08:50 AM
They look like tecate-4 rear tyres to me.

Good
I can't see any cracks in the plastics
It seems mostly complete
Front tyre looks good
Pipe and stinger look good (the OEM silencer is a boat anchor)

Bad
Missing rear grab bar(most tecate rear grab bars a gone or broken, no prizes for guessing why)
I can't see the overflow bottle
No ignition
Have to replace the tank (at least people can get them now)
I'd have to question the rear rims/tyres because they are not stock for than machine, but it's not a biggie.

If I wanted a solid start point for a restoration, that looks like the machine. What you should pay is between you and the seller, but consider with ignition, tank and overflow bottle your pushing 600 min in parts alone, that's even before you pull the barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

barnett468
03-28-2017, 09:58 AM
The front fender and headlight housing are orig . Hard to tell about the shrouds from the photo.

These are original tires.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/8d/22/a4/8d22a4d470efe79e9111ee9a78ceaa13.jpg

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

barnett468
03-28-2017, 10:02 AM
I'd have to question the rear rims/tyres because they are not stock for than machine, but it's not a biggie.

The rear wheels look orig to me but it's a little hard to tell on my computer.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

6spdls1z28
03-28-2017, 10:07 AM
I saw a tri z in the background of one pic. If he has that he most likely knows the value of the tecate and is asking a lot.

barnett468
03-28-2017, 10:15 AM
Those are not the original tires for that Tecate, but maybe for the 84-85 Tecate.

The 84/85 had much different tread and smaller rims etc.

"Yes, I know it is red!"

https://media4.giphy.com/media/ADr35Z4TvATIc/200w.gif#3

https://www.kawasaki.ca/assets/img/frontend/corporate/atv-museum/large/1984_KXT250A.jpg

OZQUAD44
03-28-2017, 10:22 AM
They're lt250r tyres

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUi8dz7YuOn9KcstDS_Yxi1egufcU60 PZ7OaFpLlufTLbJSUEPfCTsm4uT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

barnett468
03-28-2017, 10:28 AM
There is no air box lid but you may be able to buy a complete air box with a lid for only $440.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-1986-KXT250-Tecate-Air-filter-case-/152368806240?hash=item2379e37960%3Ag%3A4X4AAOSwo4p YXugl&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=ZQYpZ4pX2Zk8WHjKVeI4pVIzYgk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

3 Wheel Drive
03-28-2017, 11:07 AM
There is an airbox lid in the 4th picture, wake up & put your bifocals on! It's also missing the chain and brake guards off the swing arm.

Overall it's a nice looking Tecate, the most powerful 3 wheeler in the galaxy!!!:D

barnett468
03-28-2017, 12:04 PM
There is an airbox lid in the 4th picture, wake up & put your bifocals on!

What....you mean there is more than one photo? http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/Smileys/smilies/kickass.gif

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR....WITH APPARENTLY POOR EYESIGHT

ATCeeya
03-28-2017, 02:00 PM
Thanks for replies. Like I said I know nothing about tecates. I don't think owner knows all the details of it like some of you do, but he's been a trike guy forever and does value his trike. He wants $3500 for it. I believe if I offer less, it will hit the open market. Right now it's not listed for sale anywhere. I did feel it might be a little over priced, but what would it cost me in another 5 years from now? It's not like I find these often and every time I do, and snooze on a deal, the next one is more expensive than the last. It's hard to find a deal on one of these, let alone find one at all in my neck of the woods.

86T3
03-28-2017, 02:07 PM
I can't see that bringing 3500 anywhere in the country. A really really nice running driving one just sold for $4k on facebook

Queef Chief
03-28-2017, 02:55 PM
I can't see that bringing 3500 anywhere in the country. A really really nice running driving one just sold for $4k on facebook

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATCeeya
03-28-2017, 03:48 PM
I thought the price was high as well, but I know tecates demand more money so I just wanted to check with the pros. I wish it was closer so I could see it in person first. I'd have to negotiate over the phone, and he commented the price was a steal and has seen lesser ones sell for that so I don't see too much wiggle room if any. I guess it depends on if I'm willing to pay up or not. I have the money and would really like to add one of these to my little collection but obviously a nice 4K rider would be better if I found one of those instead. I'll just have to see how this plays out. Maybe it will end up in my garage or maybe not.

ATCeeya
03-28-2017, 06:50 PM
editing post delete

6bt
03-28-2017, 07:28 PM
Not sure how the tecates are priced in California, but me and a buddy snagged 3 88 trx250rs from Cali. Seems like it's the only place where a lot of this stuff can still be purchased for reasonable money.

atc007
03-28-2017, 08:55 PM
I looked at this machine in person 3 weeks ago. Owego NY.PO had it on CL listed as an all original 87,for $1200. He said he knew he was hi,but people always try to jew you down...I went . It was in a basement,on gravel,,,needed the rear tires pulled off to be carried back out of his basement. The rest speaks for itself. The engine was set. It did NOT kick over. Engine was locked.As said, all the ignition is gone. Grab bar,taillight,LT250R rears, Blown shocks all the way around....I quit looking. Some jackals had called him and offered 2 k sight unseen by the time I got there. He also had a 86 350X that is now back to dust. It has literally grown into the ground. It was not worth pulling out of the weeds and loading. Even with the current increasing market on Tecates, It needs pretty much every single dime you will spend on it to get it where it needs to be. A true shame. It is a parts machine or a very expensive resto.

6bt
03-28-2017, 09:23 PM
So guy is trying to flip it for $3500?

fabiodriven
03-28-2017, 09:43 PM
If it was in Oswego and it's not in Mik6's hands then it was never a good deal.

nstyle73
03-28-2017, 10:27 PM
Never mind, I didn't read the second page of this thread

ATCeeya
03-28-2017, 11:09 PM
Man, that's tough to hear....he's definitely flipping it then because he told me he's owned it 3 years and the guy he bought it off of had it 22 years. He said he's just never gotten around to fixing it after all this time.

He texts me again today and said he was looking to sell off his collection and asked if there was anything else I would be interested in. So I asked what he had and he sent me pic after pic. He has over 30 trikes. Liquid 250rs, 350xs, tri-zs, 85 big reds, a ton of 250sx, Yamaha 200,225dx,225dr, all suzukis ever made, just a ton of trikes and most all looked clean. I was going to post pics, but then decided against it....that's kind of a bummer to hear about that tecate. I wish he would have atleast told me he just scooped it up and was making a few bucks. I can appreciate honesty. Sounds like it is rougher than I would have been expecting though. Thanks for posting up.

fabiodriven
03-28-2017, 11:24 PM
That's not cool at all. Dishonesty doesn't pay.

atc007
03-29-2017, 08:00 AM
Man, that's tough to hear....he's definitely flipping it then because he told me he's owned it 3 years and the guy he bought it off of had it 22 years. He said he's just never gotten around to fixing it after all this time.

He texts me again today and said he was looking to sell off his collection and asked if there was anything else I would be interested in. So I asked what he had and he sent me pic after pic. He has over 30 trikes. Liquid 250rs, 350xs, tri-zs, 85 big reds, a ton of 250sx, Yamaha 200,225dx,225dr, all suzukis ever made, just a ton of trikes and most all looked clean. I was going to post pics, but then decided against it....that's kind of a bummer to hear about that tecate. I wish he would have atleast told me he just scooped it up and was making a few bucks. I can appreciate honesty. Sounds like it is rougher than I would have been expecting though. Thanks for posting up.

Owego NY,,,Mik6 was 4 miles from it the night before leaving here up 17...What liars fail to understand about the 3 wheeler world is. It is a small world. Even if you sneak one through the cracks,somebody somewhere is gonna say,hey that's so and so's bike! .. I can give you the number of the PO,his name is Ted,and yes,it was in HIS basement for 22 years. But the current owner has had it 3 weeks,not years ;). I wonder if he pried that poor 350X up out of the dirt. It had a supertrapp. Possibly the only thing on it worth saving. He wanted $800 for it :(. Super nice guy and I would have owned them both were it not for idiots texting him outrageous offers without a single pic. Ted was willing to deal,I said nope. Let the guys texting you come and have at it ! It was an easy one to walk away from.

ATCeeya
03-29-2017, 10:21 AM
Well I gotta say thanks again for posting up. I'm glad I put this on here, saved myself some disappointment. Looking back on the convo we had, he was definately being shady when I asked him how long he had it and why he never got around to fixing it up, or if he had it listed anywhere for sale, which he did not. Plus he was reciting 1 liners from last owner that he thought was funny, I wonder how he remembered them so easily, maybe cause it was just a few weeks ago! Just little things I recall now that I know what's really up with this thing. I was actually planning to go out to him and try to bring home a few out of his collection, he's got a black and red 225dr and an 86 tri-z that I wanted to buy as well but now I don't have the warm and fuzzies anymore so forget that. The bikes in Albany if anyone else wants it.

atc007
03-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Full disclosure. Like I said, Ted was a great guy. Hunts,fishes,builds Chevy square bodies. No computers,or tech stuff. He had 14 texts overnight. I called him on the phone. He loved that :). I asked a few ??'s. I told him it was a 86,there were no pics in the ad... He thought I was wrong,but wasn't going to argue. I told him IF it was a 87,he was way underpriced and I would pay him a fair price. He had already said" I know I'm high on the price,but everybody jews you down,so I started there". On the way there,,he called and said his phone was blowing up and he had enough. A guy from Albany HAD to own it and offered a guaranteed $2000 sight unseen even if it is a 86,it was the only bike he didn't have in his collection. Ted told him,I was on my way and was sure it was a 86. He said $800 is a lot of money. I said yes it is. He talked himself down and said it is yours,you are on your way and we had a deal. I said,Ted, I will look at it and if it is a 87,in all OE shape as your ad says. You will def be getting 2k !

When I got down cellar I about puked. End of story. IF the guy you're talking too held up his end of the bargain,,he did pay 2k for it. But I highly doubt that... If he did. I've got a couple to sell ;).. He obviously has found a few of the MANY problems with this bike and is gonna move on. I don't know who he is,which I found very odd.

ATCeeya
03-29-2017, 02:29 PM
I wasn't going to post his collection but incase they hit the market you guys can spot a dishonest seller :rolleyes: he said he has 33 and recently sold 3 350xs. He should have just told me he bought it and didn't want it, that it was too much of a project for him, it wouldn't have mattered to me had he told me that, but saying he owned it for years when he clearly has not...ugh what's with people :crazy:

Kinda stupid of him because I already had visions of myself coming home from Albany with a trailer full of wheelers. I definately could have put money in his hands, no doubt he will be able to sell them, but still...

Atc007, it's things like this that make me think what a small world this is. If your ever in buffalo, beers on me :Bounce but man, pretty wild to hear the real back story on all of this.

atc007
03-29-2017, 02:42 PM
It still amazes me how many of us are left that simply walk away from any lie :). Where there's one, there's a whole herd :). Like you said, it's a 2nd gen, the story wouldn't have mattered,just tell the truth .

atc007
03-29-2017, 05:28 PM
If it was restored EE-maculate ........you don`t think it`s worth 6K ?
I do,,and I have a handful of guys I could have emailed that night and sold it as is for 2k. I'm just really soured by the whole deal. I'm sure some one will pay him a high price and if they put it back mint. They will have a lot of the 6k in it counting any of their time. Is what it is :).

ATCeeya
04-09-2017, 10:18 PM
https://albany.craigslist.org/snw/6080360687.html

Well here it is. $3200 best offer

He told me he wanted $3500. Texted me the other day said $3200. Puts online for $3200/bo.

Atleast he said engine was siezed. He told me it kicked over just fine :crazy::rolleyes:

350xtrike.rider
04-10-2017, 09:19 AM
https://albany.craigslist.org/snw/6080360687.html

Well here it is. $3200 best offer

He told me he wanted $3500. Texted me the other day said $3200. Puts online for $3200/bo.

Atleast he said engine was siezed. He told me it kicked over just fine :crazy::rolleyes:

He told me yesterday he wanted $3400 for it, I told him it's worth $750 not a dime more, then this morning he texted me and told me he sold it... So I wonder who has it now and what they paid for it...