PDA

View Full Version : 350X Steering Stem Lower Race

wonderboy
03-27-2017, 09:53 PM
I HATE it when I'm stupid and break stuff taking it apart...

I'm prepping my 350X frame for some work and removed the steering stem races... of course I did the lower the WRONG way. :twisted:

So my mistake was thinking I could just drive one edge and push it out crooked. NOPE.

I started on the bottom bearing, and because the top was still in position, couldn't put a large diameter object in there to push evenly... so I just used a metal drift. The bearing is too deep to come out one edge first. It's gotta be walked out carefully, little by little. I tried just hitting one side and the picture is the result.

In hindsight, I should have done the top first. It has a much shorter distance to travel to come out and probably would have worked using my horrible technique. Then the bottom I could have used the large socket to push it out evenly.

Live and learn. Looks like the part is still available from Honda, so only a $10 mistake.

On a positive note, I bead blasted my axle (also getting prepped for some "work" :naughty:) and it came out as nice as can be expected.
241342241344 Ignore the un-blasted part in the middle (leaving some indications of the original color...)

So the night wasn't a total disaster.

tapper190
04-01-2017, 05:55 AM
If your races are out, why not get rid of the ball bearings and put in the tapered bearing kit? We need to get together this year for a ride! Your boy is probably graduated up to the 350x by now, lol

wonderboy
04-02-2017, 09:44 AM
Hey Tapper! I totally agree about getting out for a ride this year. I didn't get out for a SINGLE RIDE last year, other than putting around and my folks place.

I was thinking about the tapered bearings, but I just remember reading about how they don't press in all the way (or some complication). I don't mind the loose ball style, I just bought a bag of 100 new balls for $5. A little sticky grease and it goes together fine for me. (EDIT: The more I search for the "problems" with these, the more it seems like it was just user error... now I'm gonna have to search for that conversion kit. :) )

I'll start posting up picks of the build once I get a little further. Frame is with my buddy (who's a really good TIG welder) getting reinforcements. I'm shopping around for a good powdercoater who doesn't want a fortune for blasting and PC. I've received two quotes for $375 to blast and powder the frame...

The boy is looking me in the eye these days (he's growing like a weed!). I'm still gonna keep him on the Auto-X for now... needs a little more seat time before moving up to the big dog!

tapper190
04-03-2017, 05:40 AM
Deanna and I are thinking about going to bundy hill on good Friday if they are open for the day, weather permitting.