PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Tri Z build.

pervO
03-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Sooo. I'm doing a full frame up build of this bike. It was a mess when I bought it I paid $440 dollars for it (paid to much). I wanted to show everyone my progress and document the build. So far ive swapped the 5 speed for a 6, welded on new foot peg mounts and drank beer.

3 Wheel Drive
03-20-2017, 04:07 PM
You may need to grind part of your rear brake lever to fit over the new plate mount.

6bt
03-20-2017, 11:07 PM
What happened to the jug and casing?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

pervO
03-21-2017, 07:35 AM
What happened to the jug and casing?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I bought it with the crack (the previous owner didn't say anything about it, imagine that), so I ground all the crack out. I'm dropping it off with my welder today. I'm guessing its from the port work leaving the jug thin in that spot and possibly over torqueing the nut right there.

3 Wheel Drive
03-21-2017, 08:19 PM
I have some new red shrouds and other parts if your interested.

yaegerb
03-21-2017, 11:04 PM
I bought it with the crack (the previous owner didn't say anything about it, imagine that), so I ground all the crack out. I'm dropping it off with my welder today. I'm guessing its from the port work leaving the jug thin in that spot and possibly over torqueing the nut right there.

Yup, it's from that boyesen port being drilled out incorrectly/not carefully enough. Gotta be uber careful with adding in that right boost port.

What does it look like if you take a straight on shot of the intake mouth? Is the right a mirror image of he left?

Also, those transfer walls look a little thin (too knife edgy) like someone got happy with a dremel. May want to have someone take a look at the overall port work done to the cylinder.

El Camexican
03-22-2017, 12:59 AM
I'm guessing its from the port work leaving the jug thin in that spot and possibly over torqueing the nut right there.

Until the day mine cracks I'm convinced that the main cause of this phenomenon is improper shimming of the cylinder head mount to the frame. I could be wrong, but so far so good on my cylinder.

barnett468
03-22-2017, 01:33 AM
Check your cases where the cylinder mounts to see if that surface is flat.

I would check the cylinder base to see if it is flat also.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

pervO
03-23-2017, 12:43 PM
Yup, it's from that boyesen port being drilled out incorrectly/not carefully enough. Gotta be uber careful with adding in that right boost port.

What does it look like if you take a straight on shot of the intake mouth? Is the right a mirror image of he left?

Also, those transfer walls look a little thin (too knife edgy) like someone got happy with a dremel. May want to have someone take a look at the overall port work done to the cylinder.

Yes the left side is a mirror image. The "transfer wall" that you are talking about is in picture 13 with the jug upside down right? I wouldn't put anything past the guy I bought this pile from.

pervO
03-23-2017, 12:47 PM
Until the day mine cracks I'm convinced that the main cause of this phenomenon is improper shimming of the cylinder head mount to the frame. I could be wrong, but so far so good on my cylinder.

When I see other boost ports like yours it doesn't look like mind is tall enough. I think the wrench report says 1 inch tall by .5 wide. I think on mine they just copied the other side and never opened them up completely.

yaegerb
03-23-2017, 01:32 PM
Yes the left side is a mirror image. The "transfer wall" that you are talking about is in picture 13 with the jug upside down right? I wouldn't put anything past the guy I bought this pile from.

Yes, you are correct.

pervO
03-24-2017, 07:19 AM
Does anyone have pictures of the zinger tank on a tri z without zip ties and cutting the air box cover? To answer the question "why not keep the stock tank?" Im going with a trx450R swing arm and the rear shock reservoir is in the way of the stock fuel tank. Hopefully my welder will be done with my cylinder sometime next week and I will take some more pictures. I got the bottom end completed. ( I had to braze the clutch cover where the previous owner destroyed it.) and my father in law welded a clutch tool for me lol we call him the bubble gum bandit.

El Camexican
03-24-2017, 09:37 AM
Check out Jeswinharts tanks if you're going that route.

3 Wheel Drive
03-24-2017, 09:54 AM
This is a tri zinger tank on a Z, the airbox cover has been cut to fit the tank.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/173975-Tri-Z-top-mount-tank-project

Once you ditch the stock tank, you no longer need the fuel pump & it opens up different shock options. Many banshee parts bolt on like the swing arm bolt, rear axle,hubs, sprockets, rear master cylinder, both calipers and a few others work too.

The PWK carbs are nice upgrades on the Tri Z, the banshee thumb throttle is used because the stock one is too small.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/61133-Tri-Z-shock-options-and-interchanges

pervO
03-24-2017, 03:05 PM
This is a tri zinger tank on a Z, the airbox cover has been cut to fit the tank.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/173975-Tri-Z-top-mount-tank-project

Once you ditch the stock tank, you no longer need the fuel pump & it opens up different shock options. Many banshee parts bolt on like the swing arm bolt, rear axle,hubs, sprockets, rear master cylinder, both calipers and a few others work too.

The PWK carbs are nice upgrades on the Tri Z, the banshee thumb throttle is used because the stock one is too small.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/61133-Tri-Z-shock-options-and-interchanges

Did you zip tie that on? I'm wanting to fab up some brackets to mount the tank. I plan on a TRX450R swing arm.

pervO
03-24-2017, 03:11 PM
Check out Jeswinharts tanks if you're going that route.

I looked at them, they are really nice. if I could make a 40 dollar zinger tank work and look good then that's the route I wanted to go.

pervO
03-30-2017, 07:04 PM
Making a little progress. Took me a little bit of time to cut the filter cover out to where it would look good.

6spdls1z28
03-30-2017, 10:54 PM
Looks good I'm eventually going to do a top mount tank on mine to run a banshee shock.

pervO
04-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Got my swing arm in the mail today. Also installed the jug on the bottom end, it's coming along. Got a killer deal on this 2013 YZ450F. It's a monster and is giving me some inspiration on designing my Z.

6spdls1z28
04-02-2017, 07:14 PM
What do you have to mod to get that swing arm to fit?

pervO
04-03-2017, 11:43 AM
What do you have to mod to get that swing arm to fit?

it doesn't fit but Derrick Adams did it on this build: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/63115-Yamaha-TRI-Z-450 so we are gonna make it fit. I wanted to remove the roller bearings and use a Derlin swing arm bushing for the TRX swing arm. Then drill it out to accept the TRI Z metal bushing, since I want to use the TRI Z swing arm bolt. The frame needs to be spread a smidge, or some material taken off of the swing arm. Its pretty close though.

EDIT: so im still using the Derlin bushings but im going to drill out the factory TRX metal bushings to fit the TRI Z swing arm bolt which is 5/8. I also have to drill out the lower link bushing that bolts to the frame (so that I can use the correct diameter bolt for that. as well as the rear upper shock bushing needs to be drilled out to accept the larger bolt of the TRI Z. The TRI Z frame has 9 inches of clearance for the swing arm. The TRX swing arm is 9 1/8 wide without the "thrust bushings" installed.

QUESTION: What would be the best way to take off the material that I need on this TRX swing arm so it would fit inside the frame?

pervO
04-08-2017, 09:27 AM
Had to grind the swing arm down a bit to install in the frame with the thrust bushings. Had the jug welded. Now I need to figure out this upper shock mount.

pervO
04-11-2017, 01:34 PM
WELL.... this had to happen. New mount will be made out of 4130 chromoly 1.125 x .095 round tube to raised the upper shock mount a good ways in the frame. Was going to use some 1/8th inch plate steel for the gussets and shock mounting tabs. A TRX swing arm isn't a bolt on job.

the tecate kid
04-11-2017, 04:01 PM
Tell me all about it! I figured I could simply bolt a yfz 450 to my tri z. same exact issues.....

pervO
05-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Soo.. the TRI Z steering stem was a perfect fit for the VTX lower triple. (meaning I had to use a press the install) Got new steering bearings installed as well. I have my old TRIZ front axle that I modified to fit the narrower forks just holding the hub on so that I can figure out the spacers I will need. I took a 250R front brake rotor and cut it down to make an adaptor to fit my CR250 rotor. (I eyeballed it pretty good, there is almost no up and down movement when I spin the hub) I will have to space the rotor further from the hub since the caliper is hitting the 10 inch rim that I have. Does anyone have a 10 inch rim with a non rolled lip lying around they would like to sell? My mock up DWT is pretty beat up. As of now I have ditched using the TRIZ swing arm bolt and bought a TRX bolt. I will use oil impregnated brass bushings to make up the difference in the frame. The reason I'm doing this is the TRX swing arm bushings are hardened steel and laugh at my drill bits. After I get the front end situated I will move on to the upper shock mount (figuring out where to weld to the frame). I've asked a few people with TRX 4 wheelers to take a couple measurements for me but they haven't gotten back to me yet. If anyone on here has a 2006 to 2007 TRX450R or 450ER could you take a measurement from the top of the swing arm to the bottom of the upper shock mount tube. That would be great. Other years would probably be ok too.

pervO
06-20-2017, 07:46 PM
More progress.. fabbed up some rear shock mounts and got the frame notched for the frame. Next I'm going to tach it up, mount some wheels and tires and make sure everything looks right on the ground before fully welding it all up.

pervO
07-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Got some STI 10x8 wheels for the back, anybody have any suggestions on rear tires? I also need to find a tire that will fit an 11x6 front wheel RMATV has a few, the STI Black Diamond ATR and the Kendra Bear claw. I'm kind of worried about the tire rubbing the front forks since there is only 7 5/8 clearance between them at the closest points. 244685

brandonlowe2
07-04-2017, 01:07 PM
This is looking really good!

pervO
07-12-2017, 10:36 AM
Got my 11x6 Red label DWT wheel in yesterday, really tight fit with the bigger 240mm front brake. I'm still going to fiddle with spacing the rotor away from the rim. I think my best bet is to get my axle spacers made so the wheel is close to centered and then attack the front break. I'm going with a STI TECH4 XC 22x7-11 since its 7 inches wide.

devilman
12-08-2017, 07:27 AM
Any updates on this build?

devilman
12-15-2017, 07:37 AM
Well 3WW members. I have some bad news. Matt (pervo) was in a car accident this past weekend and he passed away on the 12th. 30 years old and has to young daughters....... RIP BROTHER.

El Camexican
12-15-2017, 09:31 AM
So sorry to hear this. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Shawn Powell
12-15-2017, 12:18 PM
Terrible news. I’m so sorry to hear this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

El Camexican
12-16-2017, 05:37 PM
Bumping this as it got moved down and likley some non Yamaha people missed it.

This is not going to be a Merry Christmas for those kids. I hope Devilman or someone else who knew Matt can come up with a way for us to do a little something for them when the time is right.

Dirtweed
12-16-2017, 11:40 PM
That's horrible news and his pro family has to be crushed. :(

atc300r
12-17-2017, 07:39 PM
Prayers for the family.

Red Rider
12-17-2017, 07:51 PM
My thoughts & prayers go out to the family.