PDA

View Full Version : Painting exhaust...

plkmonster2
02-06-2004, 09:12 PM
I'm gonna dress up my trike a bit. First off is the exhaust. i'm gonna paint it black, heat safe, of course. But, is there any heat safe clear coat? Will just plain paint hold up if i sand the pipe and clean it up first? Thanks.

ste-pel
02-06-2004, 09:38 PM
I used bbq paint on mine

PowerTrike
02-06-2004, 09:56 PM
I used high temp engine/manifold paint. Seems to hold up well. I don't think there are any clearcoats available. I would just do a couple coats. Really makes your rusted exhaust pipe look a lot better!

nitekrawler
02-06-2004, 10:59 PM
I used bbq paint on mine

Put that stuff on my old truck exhaust back in the 90's and burnt off :?

Kaysen
02-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Now Dupli-color makes a super high heat paint, it goes up to 1200 degrees availible in black for sure, and they also make a 500 degree clear coat. Both are under 5 bucks a can. Hope this helps. Kaysen

whiteboarder
02-07-2004, 01:31 AM
i put some bbq paint on my stock exhaust for my 200x and i fired it up and it burnt right off it said hight temp up to 1300

plkmonster2
02-07-2004, 04:54 AM
Well, i got some rust-oleum high heat paint. good up to 1200 degrees. i'm doing 3 coats or more. I got the silencer cleaned up real nice. Took a good srubbing with a wire brush. the stock color is a dark gray, I think, but I'm going black. It's a good brand, so I don't think it should burn right off. Works on our 2000 degree stove, so.... Hmm, I'll do a heat test tmrw, I'll take an acetylene welding tip and see how much heat it can take... I'll reply tmrw!

plkmonster2
02-07-2004, 05:19 AM
Sorry for the bad post. Blame me, blame me, lol, I'm really tired.

plkmonster2
02-07-2004, 05:28 AM
Another question, about painting. How do paint the cylinder and head? Right now, I'm Just thinking of stripping off all the chipping factory paint on there now. This trike was run at the beach, so it has that salt problem :? Not a bad trike for what I paid for it, but now, I want it to be a bit better. :-D I'm going to touch up on the side cases, cause i still want them black. Makes the engine look awesome. :shock:

leprogle
02-07-2004, 02:51 PM
hey whiteboarder,
i bought some high heat paint, and if you notice the "up to 1300 degrees" it probably says intermitant. a car or truck usually gets hot and cold and doesn't stay constant. a bike's heat is constant. i paid like ten bucks for a can that burnt off after about a half hour,
yet a 4$ can has lasted quite a while.

plkmonster2
02-07-2004, 03:35 PM
I've got the silencer and header almost done. They are looking really good. The black is a matte color, so it looks almost stock, but is a bit darker.

Dirtcrasher
02-07-2004, 04:21 PM
hey whiteboarder,
i bought some high heat paint, and if you notice the "up to 1300 degrees" it probably says intermitant. a car or truck usually gets hot and cold and doesn't stay constant. a bike's heat is constant. i paid like ten bucks for a can that burnt off after about a half hour,
yet a 4$ can has lasted quite a while.

Huh?? When does your automobile cool down during a 2 hour drive???

I've used the Rustoleum on both 4 stroke and 2 stroke exhausts with fantastic results.

I do prep by sandblasting and wipe it with lacquer before spraying. I also place the can in super hot water prior to spraying to warm up the paint - works for me!