PDA

View Full Version : 86 atc200x pulling right......only at certain times

deathman53
03-13-2017, 05:49 PM
my 86 atc200x has 350x triples, 83-84 250r forks, hub, axle and wheel, 86 200x front brake and other uncommon items. I have a fork brace and steering stabilizer on it also. When the the fork brace and stabilizer on it, it pulls to the right.....kinda hard. Remove the brace, it still pulls right, noticable. Remove stabilizer, doesn't pull at all, very very slight pull with brace on. I did this on a paved surface, I would think all trikes would pull somewhat on it. Anybody have any ideas??? I would like to keep the stabilizer. Its a puck style mounted in front of the triple clamp w/ a arm on it and linkage going to mount on the frame.

big specht
03-13-2017, 06:19 PM
Measure the circumference of the rear tires to make sure they are the same dia. And make sure the frt wheel is in the center of the down tube when the wheel is straight. And make sure the swingarm bearings are in good shape cause they will move with on exceleration and deceleration and cause a pull too.

fabiodriven
03-13-2017, 07:19 PM
Yeah a huge amount of the time you will find the problem to be in the rear as far as pulling issues go on a three wheeler. Obviously you seem to have a correlation between the brace/damper combo and how your steering behaves. Silly question maybe but just to be sure; You didn't adjust tire pressure at any point during this process did you?

AZ1320
03-14-2017, 12:10 AM
first thing in my book has been to measure from known points on the frame and make sure the rear wheels are strait. then I would measure across the front shocks and triple trees to make sure all is strait. I mean within a 1/16th if you can "aim small miss small". after that I wonder if you can saw the arm on the puck to the other side, along with the mount and see if it pulls the other way.

I ride without any helper, mostly because I didn't have them when I bought the bike. I am curious why u ride with them?

deathman53
03-15-2017, 09:27 PM
I got the fork brace some years ago, found it on ebay. Figured give it a try, I know some dirtbikes handle better with them. As for the stabilizer, I wanted something to control how fast/slow the front end moves. I have them on dirtbikes and like them. I have one on the 200x and other on 250r w/ custom triples and ktm forks. I like how it smooths out and front wheel doesn't move so quickly on ruts and hard landings. I did inflate both tires the same, I didn't measure them to see if they are the same size. I was gonna try and adjust the size of the linkage and see how it changes things. I will be doing this soon....my motor is almost done.....12:1 piston, web cam, ebc clutch, shaved flywheel and some porting done. After that is rebuilding the rear shock. Yes....swingarm bearings were new, I replaced them in '14 and only rode it a few times, the motor was shot.

deathman53
03-23-2017, 08:01 PM
figured it out, shortened the linkage arm. The other day shortened one side of, it still pulled. Shortened both sides and doesn't pull anymore. My motor is done, next thing rebuild rear shock and its ready to hit the mx tracks. hopefully the track by me will have quad/atv practice days.