PDA

View Full Version : 85' tecate rear shock rebuild questions

smoknrv4
03-10-2017, 10:57 AM
I've got my 85' shock all apart and there seems to be some differences between an 85 and an 84 rear shock.
My 85' shock has two retaining clips at the top above the seal head, and apparently the 84' has only one.
Also the valve stack inside had no bushing, is this supposed to be like this? Just an O-ring.
Anybody have experience with an 85' vs an 84'? And is that missing bushing req'd?
Hers the pic of what I have minus the O-ring

fabiodriven
03-10-2017, 01:17 PM
I don't have much to tell you other than the shocks are different between A1 and A2 Tecates.

christph
03-10-2017, 02:42 PM
It has been a while since I had my 84 shock apart but there are some minor differences. If I remember correctly the shock bodies are different too. The reservoirs are also different. The 84 is a sealed steal unit with no adjusters while the 85 is a serviceable aluminum unit with a compression adjuster. I wouldn't worry about the difference in the shim stacks, i.e., no bushing, etc., unless you think it has been serviced before and wasn't done right. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact differences between the shim stacks.

fabiodriven
03-10-2017, 03:32 PM
I'm pretty sure the 85 shock was steel as well. It's a Kayaba which is a sealed "non-servicable" unit, but the spot welds can be cut to get it open.

smoknrv4
03-10-2017, 04:01 PM
I'm pretty sure the 85 shock was steel as well. It's a Kayaba which is a sealed "non-servicable" unit, but the spot welds can be cut to get it open.

The reservoir is apart and its aluminum. I didn't know the reservoirs were different also.

The bushing I'm talking about is that this graphite one that's around the shim stack on the 84', the 85' didn't have one, just the O-ring, unless......that bushing was rotted off or someone has rebuilt it before and didn't put it back in. You can see the o-ring in the pic.

christph
03-10-2017, 06:07 PM
The reservoir is apart and its aluminum. I didn't know the reservoirs were different also.

The bushing I'm talking about is that this graphite one that's around the shim stack on the 84', the 85' didn't have one, just the O-ring, unless......that bushing was rotted off or someone has rebuilt it before and didn't put it back in. You can see the o-ring in the pic.

Oh, okay, I see what you are talking about. Yes, the 85 definitely has a bushing/seal there. It is vitally important to sealing the piston so oil doesn't flow around the head, and protecting the aluminum body from getting scrapped by the steel piston. It is probably not available from Kawasaki but I would definitely find a replacement before putting the shock back together.

smoknrv4
03-10-2017, 08:01 PM
I'm so confused, I wish there was an exploded view of one a part so I could see what I'm missing. The only one I could find was on Partzilla but it's not very detailed.

christph
03-11-2017, 12:00 AM
You can try contacting Schmidty Racing or Race Tech for the bushing. I would try the former first, he specializes in 3 wheeler shocks.

https://www.schmidtyracing.com

http://www.racetech.com/

russ98atc
03-11-2017, 12:59 AM
For your time and money I'd suggest going with the 01 Raptor 660 shock. Much better shock and cost me around 150 all said and done. 110 for the shock and 40 for new oil and rebuild. I used the rezzie hose off of the original 85 shock, it's a little short but still fits with little slack. To do it properly a new lengthened rezzie hose would be the way to go. I don't know if your set on the original shock but the raptor shock is a very nice upgrade.

fabiodriven
03-11-2017, 04:27 AM
300EX shock is an upgrade as well. Makes the Kayaba obsolete.

jb2wheels
03-11-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm so confused, I wish there was an exploded view of one a part so I could see what I'm missing. The only one I could find was on Partzilla but it's not very detailed.

I feel your pain.

I tried to rebuild my one of my 85's shocks. It was a "learning experience".
In the end, it did not dampen correctly.
I believe I screwed up the shim stack and did not get it back together right. No diagrams for guidance.

In the end, I used an eBay Banshee shock. They're not ideal because they're a little shorter than the stocker but they are cheap, effective, and readily available.

How are you re-charging the reservoir? Took me a while to track down a shop locally to do that.

smoknrv4
03-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys for the responses.
I will recharge it where I work, we have nitrogen available for recharging our die cylinders.

smoknrv4
03-11-2017, 09:17 PM
For your time and money I'd suggest going with the 01 Raptor 660 shock. Much better shock and cost me around 150 all said and done. 110 for the shock and 40 for new oil and rebuild. I used the rezzie hose off of the original 85 shock, it's a little short but still fits with little slack. To do it properly a new lengthened rezzie hose would be the way to go. I don't know if your set on the original shock but the raptor shock is a very nice upgrade.

That's the shock I have on there now actually, but I need to add the longer hose to get the res mounted back in the right spot. But I really wanted to put the original one back on because I've been told that the raptor one just doesn't work right.

russ98atc
03-11-2017, 09:47 PM
That's the shock I have on there now actually, but I need to add the longer hose to get the res mounted back in the right spot. But I really wanted to put the original one back on because I've been told that the raptor one just doesn't work right.

I've only had my raptor shock on for a little over a week now, but I've cleared all the jumps on my track and it felt perfect to me after some messing with preload, compression and rebound. I mean the raptor shock is 20 year newer technology, I can't see even a NOS tecate shock even being remotely comparable to a properly set up raptor shock... What doesn't work right with your raptor shock? Does it need to be rebuilt? Have you messed with settings? I know some people complain about the stock spring on the raptor shock being to heavy, I weigh roughly 200lbs and I have mine adjusted a little over half way down the threads on the preload and its perfect.