PDA

View Full Version : Fork seals--AGAIN--WTF??!!

yater
02-06-2004, 05:35 PM
I rode my '86 200x today for the first time since replacing the fork seals. It was a rough ride but WTF? They BOTH blew! This is the 3rd time I've replaced these on this trike! What could I be doing wrong? They are in place and so is the c clip. They are right-side-up. I'm using 20w (7.3oz) right now in each tube. Is it too thick? WTF?--These are oem replacement seals--should I try something aftermarket?

mbg75
02-06-2004, 06:07 PM
could be too much oil in the forks. how did you measure the amount you put in?
the best way is to fill the tubes with an approx. amount then measure from the tube to oil level to get the exact amount.

yater
02-06-2004, 06:12 PM
I used a ratio rite. I put exactly 7.3oz in each tube. Am I supposed to split that between the 2? (<4oz per side?)

arkantrike
02-06-2004, 06:17 PM
20w oil sounds a bit heavy. Try 10w next time. And to get the amount more accurate, go to your nearest farm supply store (or pharmacy) and buy the biggest syringe that you can find and measure the oil in CCs.
You should be able to find how many CCs are required in the manual.
Just my $.02.

Peace - out

yater
02-06-2004, 07:50 PM
I used 10w last time and prefer it actually. The ratio rite has a cc measurement but no one has been able to come up with these specs for the 86 200x. I've tried everywhere. If I'm using twice as much as I should, then I see the problem but these things are REALLY leaking!

TRI-Zbrian
02-06-2004, 09:11 PM
do your forks have groovs in them that might be cutting into the seals? just a thought

TeCaTe_MaN
02-06-2004, 10:01 PM
any rust/pitting/mud/sand can really mess with your seals...and make sure that you GREASE them with axil grease first!

jason200x
02-06-2004, 10:20 PM
i got the same problem with my 85 200x on oen side, i think when i put them in i dented or bent the little metal things thta are in the seal leaveing a gap soem where.. hwo did you put your seals in?

mbg75
02-07-2004, 12:51 PM
the manual states to use ATF fluid (automatic transmission fluid) in 86 200x. directions are as follows:

1 with the spring out
fill the forks with fliud. ('86 216-221cc's)
2 pump fork several times
3 compress fork fully and measure oil level from top of the tube.
specified level('86 178mm or 7 inches)
4 wipe springs clean and insert them in to tube with tapered end down.
5 install fork cap.

hope this helps out, mike

Dirtcrasher
02-07-2004, 03:31 PM
The weight of the fluid is not the problem as I run 20 weight fluid for my 200 lbs.

If you yourself have installed all 3 sets then it could be in your installation procedure or - are you sure every piece is in place properly?? And are there any pitting or bends in your tubes??

There HAS to be a simple reason. I would thoroughly examine each seal and look at a stock diagram to make sure all is there. Are they being installed upside down??

Are they getting cut?? or is a seal spring rolling out??

Is the wiper trashed?? Even if it was the seals would not leak in one ride.

You DO NOT pressurize these forks with air correct???

Is the flanged spacer in place underneath the seal and right side up??

Flange goes face down towards the inner bushing and not towards the seal.

Red Rider
02-09-2004, 05:40 AM
Another possible culprit is worn fork tube bushings. When these are worn excessively, they allow the fork tubes to wobble slightly within the sliders, which will prevent your fork seals from making a perfect seal around the fork tubes.