PDA

View Full Version : Help! Brakes...Caliper bad or?????

nitekrawler
02-06-2004, 04:31 PM
All the stuff came in for the rear master cylinder (Banjo bolt) So, I installed it, bleed the brakes, fluid came out :-D Though, great! Son will be suprised when he comes home from school today. WRONG! Caliper doesn't close :? Now what :?: :?: Can you rebuld these? OR?

nitekrawler
02-07-2004, 12:46 AM
Update: Took rear caliper off (pain) and piston was frozen, got it to move freely, BUT! Now it leaks fluid from behind the pad :twisted: Did I break it? The pistion has this black crud on it, we removed it, but I am wondering if it was a seal of some sort. I am at a loss. Help :?:

jeswinehart
02-07-2004, 01:09 AM
i think you might need a couple of new seals in your caliper nitekrawler.
at least the big one that fits inside where the piston is. there is another one thats alot smaller the the piston rod goes thru and is very hard to see. it normally leaks thru from the back side so your might be okay but i would replace them both.
to remove the piston from the caliper your use air pressure. take the bleeder thing out and put a air nozzle up against it. it will pop the piston out.

john

nitekrawler
02-07-2004, 01:34 AM
Question :-D When I look at the piston, there is a hole :shock: I see some parts. I'll try to post a pic in a sec. Tell me if its normal?

Ron

nitekrawler
02-07-2004, 01:55 AM
Had my son hold it while I took some pics. The hole is small, and you can see like the rod mabe and a "c" clamp? Not really sure what I see

nitekrawler
02-07-2004, 03:48 AM
Is the top of the piston supposed to have a hole where I can see inside it?

jeswinehart
02-07-2004, 07:51 AM
nope ,,, no holes in the piston nitekrawler. that's where the fluid is getting pushed thru i bet.
i haven't ever heard of those pistons rotting away but suppose they could. amazing as to what a fella comes across in these 20 year old trikes.

john

nitekrawler
02-07-2004, 12:36 PM
How easy or whats the trick to getting it back in :?:

jeswinehart
02-07-2004, 02:22 PM
not to bad to re-install. you just want to make sure every thing is clean and you kinda lube up all the parts with brake fluid. it takes a fair amount of presure with the thumbs to press back in.

john

nitekrawler
02-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Took it apart, and o-rings are shoot too :?

plkmonster2
02-07-2004, 05:04 PM
I bet a rock or something was between your pad and caliper, and when it was pushed, the rock pushed through.

nitekrawler
02-07-2004, 05:14 PM
I bet a rock or something was between your pad and caliper, and when it was pushed, the rock pushed through.

Bummer :? Poor son has been waiting to ride this...Argg.

ste-pel
02-07-2004, 09:33 PM
I don;t see why he can't ride it I have no back brakes on my 250r I just know I have to watch out caz I can't stop as fast

nitekrawler
02-07-2004, 09:40 PM
I don;t see why he can't ride it I have no back brakes on my 250r I just know I have to watch out caz I can't stop as fast

I did :-D Tapped up the brake lines 8) so no dirt gets in