PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Honda

nstyle73
02-25-2017, 11:48 AM
I have been waiting 7 years to get this project started. It is not completely legit, but it is the combination of two real vintage race bikes. One, donating the engine, and the other was raced in the southern Indiana, northern Kentucky area in the late 80's. It came with the COO, BOS, owner's manual, and pretty much all of the receipts from the original owner who paid $1495 out the door in early 1986 and then appears to have spent a little money with several California shops immediately thereafter. A Paul Turner pipe, Boyeson reed valve, and porting. Westcoast swinger and faded cracked Maier Lo-pros. Unfortunately, the cylinder had been swapped at some point before I bought it, but it was freshly "Rebuilt". The ad was in the local newspaper, 20 miles away. I rode it, the clutch slipped terribly despite the fresh rebuild, and the brakes did not work. I walked away without even making an offer on the $1200 asking price initially. He called two weeks later asking if I was interested, if I could pick it up that day, he would take $800, we agreed to a deal at $750 and I picked it up from his wife, who brought out all of the paperwork, the original uncracked rear fenders and some other miscellaneous that he had not shown me during my test ride visit.

The engine had new gaskets, and when I opened it up, I found a billet clutch basket with new internals that had not been assembled correctly. It also had a billet advance plate, but the cases were trashed with JB weld. I had not inspected it closely because when I rode it, I was not interested in the least and then his offer was time sensitive so I thought it was worth the price in parts. I blew the bike apart in order to store it in the hay loft of our barn until I could get to it. I sourced the engine, powdered the swinger, and found a few other vintage parts while I messed around working on other projects and building a house and family. The time has finally come.

nstyle73
02-25-2017, 08:28 PM
NOS forks that were bought before things went crazy will get reworked damping rods and progressive springs. The crankshaft:)

Aulbaugh
02-25-2017, 10:56 PM
This is going to be an awesome build. I'll definitely be following!

Dimitris
02-26-2017, 06:23 AM
This is going to be an awesome build.. Looking forward for the next photos Cody

RIDE-RED 250r
02-26-2017, 10:25 AM
That crank de-stroked?

atc300r
02-26-2017, 01:10 PM
That looks like a Selvy 200r cylinder. The crank Rob uses for his 200r is from the 81-84 250r .
he welds on pieces to make it a full circle crank and destrokes it.The front of the cylinder gets a bigger water jacket around the exhaust.

ironchop
02-26-2017, 05:35 PM
Nice project!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

86T3
02-26-2017, 09:21 PM
Awesome score man, maybe you should go back and throw the guy another hundo to keep your karma straight

nstyle73
03-16-2017, 08:24 PM
Perhaps I should, last I heard he was holding down a spot in the local county sponsored bed and breakfast for pharmaceutical manufacturing.

nstyle73
03-16-2017, 08:59 PM
I had Rob rebuild the shock for my Selvy's 250R a few years ago and I had him do the one for this bike at the same time. Apparently the 85's are preferred, but he went ahead and worked the 86. It is revalved and set up for my weight and riding. Powdered the spring and also had him redo the damping rods in the forks at that time as well.

nstyle73
01-13-2018, 05:46 PM
It only took me a year to swap the damping rods into the NOS forks and reassemble the tubes:rolleyes:. The forks had 85 internals so I was able to lower them by just swapping the springs.

nstyle73
01-13-2018, 06:01 PM
I guess I really left this thread hanging. So I had this bike, and most of a "race engine" in parts, which turned out to be the 200R crank, a 200R cylinder, random stock cases and a vintage "Selvy's" Ignition without the CDI, as well as all the stock internal parts. The cases weren't stuffed to accommodate the 200R crank, so they obviously weren't original, but I contacted Rob and sent him the crank and cylinder in hopes of rejuvenating everything. The cylinder was workable, but was going to take some significant repair in a couple areas. As shown in the first pic, it was not a "Works" cylinder, just the version offered through mail order etc. This was about 5-6 years ago when Rob first went back to working on bikes and he was actually building a couple of 200R Works cylinders at the time, so he convinced me to go that route. He fixed the original cylinder and sent it back to me, which makes it a paperweight since I don't have another 200R crank. A lot of the pictures Rob sent me during the work he asked not to share, but I think these are safe. The top end is top secret, but the bottom end has a billet clutch housing and pressure plate, upgraded clutch and update kit and a CR125 ignition. Rob also taper bored the carb.

nstyle73
01-13-2018, 06:12 PM
In the frame

bkm
01-14-2018, 08:13 AM
Beautiful build. If that other 200 cylinder is taking up space, I'll make room for it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk