PDA

View Full Version : Info request on difference between 1986 & 1985 atc250r bearing carriers & swing arm

350xman
02-14-2017, 11:46 AM
HI Guys

I have a question about the difference between the 1986 & 1985 atc250r swing arms and if they are interchangeable between the two model years? From what I ve read you supposedly can't swap a 1986 atc250r swing arm for an 1985? Is this true because I am looking to buy another 250r parts bike for my 1986 atc250r. Is there any physical stand out differences between the 86 and 85 rear swing arms that you can tell by just looking at them? If so what are they?
My second question is on my 1986 atc250r(manufactured date of 8/86) the rear bearing carrier looks very similar to a 1985 atc250r bearing carrier. I know that I read once in ATV News mag that there was mid production change in the type of bearing carrier/chain adjustment mechanism. So has anyone come across this same issue? If so will the latest 1986 atc250r bearing carrier with allen wrench fit or work properly in my 1986 atc250r that has what appears to look like or very similar to an 1985 atc 250r bearing carrier?
I ve gone to my local Honda dealer and they are basically no help because they basically laugh at me that I want to try find or get the correct parts/info for my bikes. They don't even want to pull out the old micro fiche... oh well so I come to the 3 wheeler world forms for expert help and advice on this matter. So, please lend me your experience and knowledge on the matter because I don't want to really pass up on the chance to bike a decent shape 250r parts bike.

Thanks
350xman

cbx1170
02-14-2017, 12:46 PM
85 arms have torque arm for brake 86 has small pin with cir clip to hold brake torque plate. most all parts are different carrier bearings center spacer brake caliper supports watch the bearing center spacers for length changes. us duners swap 85 86 all the time as assemblies. i have seen all sorts of made up spacers collars etc to help keep chain aligned. axles and disc brake & hub swap since bearing id are the same. need to watch axle centering for chain alignment do a test fit. swingers swap recommend delrin front bush/bearing for front very very durable long life excellent ones sold here. many out here leave o-rings out. u live in water areas prolly leave in.

ironchop
02-14-2017, 01:04 PM
http://www.3wheeler.org/xf/index.php?threads/1985-atc250r-vs-1986-atc250r.23878/

3rd or 4th post down shows difference in rear bearing carrier between 85 and 86

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

arlaunch
02-14-2017, 03:22 PM
Hello X man,

That shop manual is a better comparison between model years than almost any other source. I am sure you have downloaded that.

On another note. You never have to go to the Honda dealer again. Here are the links i use to buy all OEM parts.

http://www.powersportsdiscount.com/oemparts/c/honda_atv/parts

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/ATV/1985/ATC250R%20A/parts.html

The 86 carrier holder has a different diameter, because the carrier is different. The 86 also has different stud that protrudes because it has a different brake stay. The axles are the same kinda... The 85 and 86/87 ATC/TRX use different sprocket hubs and mounting bolts. You can swap those though.

The 86-87 TRX swing arms are compatible with the 85/86 ATC's. Shock compatibility is interchangeable with the ATC's. Not so much with a TRX shock in an ATC. Modifications needed. (longer line going to reservoir)

To make this easy. If you want to put an 86 swinger onto an 85 or vice versa no problem. Just switch the whole assembly. Swing-arm, Axle, brake stay, bearing carrier, sprockets and all.

If you want an aftermarket swinger you can get a nice Lone-Star 86 TRX swing arm that bolts right on to either year ATC. Just use your spare bikes 86 hardware for it. The brakes are the same. The brake attachment is not.

OK?