PDA

View Full Version : ATC200X Ignition Swich wire length?

ps2fixer
02-13-2017, 08:21 AM
Anyone with a 87 200x that could measure, or make a fairly accurate guess to the wire length? I haven't had much luck finding a cheap one on ebay to measure up. I'd be using the info to modify switches from other applications for the 200x.

Shep1970
02-13-2017, 09:32 AM
I can try to help you w/measurement- i have 86's w/ 87 harneses. Do you need pics of wire ends also? Give me a few hours
Gotta do some shoveling here.

Shep

Shep1970
02-13-2017, 03:55 PM
If its the key switch/wire your looking for here's a couple pics, 239768 239769 239770 30" from switch base to ends.

Shep

ps2fixer
02-13-2017, 11:25 PM
Thanks for your time effort and photos Shep. I'm kind of shocked that the wire is so long, but the connection is by the carb, so that is quite a long run. Looking at my notes, it's the longest ignition switch wire just after the 86-87 TRX350 @ around 28 inches.

If you happen to have an interest in any of my products, let me know and I can give you a nice discount for helping out.

Actually while I'm thinking about it, could you measure the center to center of your handle bar mounts (assuming you're running the 87 dash too). I've started a new product lately for the atc350x to have an ignition switch, but I don't know what dashes will fit. One buyer said their using the 87 200x dash, so I suspect they are the same.

Here's an internet image of what I'm talking about, the distance center to center for the bolts. Could measure left to left for easier and more accurate measuring.

Thanks again!

http://www.2040-parts.com/_content/items/images/17/2105417/001.jpg

Shep1970
02-14-2017, 10:04 AM
No problem i go from working 60hr/week in summer to about 20hrs/wk in winter so having extra time is my problem.....
The 30" wire has a very little slack (moves w/bars) it follows carb cable, but at the end near carb it actually doubles back a little so
It (the connection tucks under that rubber sleeve u see in one of the previous pics. It doesn't want to be any shorter maybe an inch longer.
(Yes its the 87 dash my son has one also, but he has the reproduction one made a couple years ago, (the guy that made them did a great job on those!!!!)
Here's some more pics, its those top clamps that make it all work(goto ebay type in honda atc bar clamp and there's many)
To choose from from different models. I also used them on my trx200sx atc a few pages back in the forum.
Thanks for the offer for your products but if i bought something from u i'd have try to build something around it.....ha

239799 239800 239801 239802 239803 239804

Shep

ps2fixer
02-14-2017, 10:27 AM
Interesting the routing for the ignition wire is designed to be so long, but no big deal. Generally I make the actual wires ~1/2 inch longer than overall length, then add the connector length and they end up around an inch longer with my process. I use similar when making a template for the wire harnesses too. Too long is better than too short.

The trx200sx was another dash I figured would fit if atc and trx widths matched, since you confirmed that, I'm almost sure the 1998 TRX450ES dash will fit the 200x/350x then, and all the parts for the conversion are still in production and the price isn't super bad. It's a similar design as the 87 200x dash, no lights etc.

For the top bar clamps, these would likely work and be new.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-53111-HC3-000.html
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-53121-HC3-000.html

I'll have to measure the mounting width, but the 200e/es dash and maybe even the 250es/sx (larger key switch) dash would be options too. My main goal was something new that's in production.

Now all I need is a 350x in show quality with my fancy ignition switch adaptor, ignition switch, and dash kit installed =). I have one that isn't too bad looking, so I'll probably stick with that.

Since there seems to be a pretty strong interest for this kit on the 350x, I wonder if there would be similar interest for the 86 and older 200x's or any other atc/trx that didn't come with a factory ignition switch. Just figuring out dash/fitment is the harder part, I only wish I had one of each machine lol.

Talking about reproductions, I've tried pretty hard to locate the neutral/reverse light sockets that are used in most atcs and older trx machines, but it appears all are out of production. I even poked in some motorcycle models. Would be really interested if anyone came across them new. I'd be looking to adapt/rewire to cover the out of production ones. FYI, the socket is for a "T5" bulb which are used in automotive instrument clusters and some dash lighting.

Thanks again for your time and info/details and you could always start a new project with your spare time =).

Shep1970
02-14-2017, 10:53 AM
Yes those clamps should do it. Some of the dashes may have brackets to make the top clamps
Work, in this pic i had used the clamps w/arms but had to use the trx mounting bracket in the center between top clamps.
239806 maybe the reproducton key pad will be made again someday.
Pic is for trx200sx key pad, it raised it up so pad would clear bars. A piece of alum across the clamps u could put mounting
Points anywhere. Good luck you'll get it....
Shep

ps2fixer
02-14-2017, 11:24 AM
Looks like you have too many nice machines, you should send some my way lol.

If/when I make the 450es dash order I'll update this thread with some pics on my 350x if all works out well.

dirtwheels
02-14-2017, 09:39 PM
PS2fixer does nice work.

I added the 200x dash to my 350x a few years ago. I like the upgrade. Tried to keep it as OEM looking as possible.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/159249-Added-a-key-to-the-350X-this-weekend?highlight=350x+with+key

ps2fixer
02-15-2017, 01:24 AM
Wow that thread is full of people wanting to put ignition switches on their machines lol. I guess I should look at making more adapters then and get a good line up for dashes and validate fitment. Just for giggles, here are photos of the 350x adapter I make with a new harness and key switch. Basically it adapts the harness to a 87-88 TRX250x ignition switch. Everything is OEM color matched, and the adapter is based on how Toyota adapts their truck pickup tail lights to trailer light kit (pass though + split)