PDA

View Full Version : Bought a TPC tonight

ATCeeya
02-12-2017, 10:10 PM
Well, I bought a hybrid tonight :cool: So I put an ad on craigslist that I was looking for a hybrid 450 ATC and a guy 2 hours away texted me that he would sell me his race bike. So I went this evening and came home with a TPC 450. I also have a setup to make it for racing TT. Forks, lowering link, sprocket, nerf bars etc. It's loud as hell, haven't ridden it yet but I'll take it for a little ride this week. Owner was super cool too and looks like he won a lot of races in his time. I'm just stoked to have found one so close to my house. I'm going to buy some new plastics and seat cover and just look forward to riding it:TrikesOwn:

Matt85'350x
02-12-2017, 11:21 PM
I can't believe that ad worked. I would have never thought to do that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bottomland4x4
02-12-2017, 11:23 PM
Sweet! I'd love to ride a tpc to see how they handle!

yaegerb
02-12-2017, 11:27 PM
That looks like Fred Morrels bike.

ATCeeya
02-12-2017, 11:32 PM
I've always put wanted ads up for trikes when I'm in the market, and I've gotten several responses every time and usually end up buying something. Most of the time the trikes I buy aren't even listed for sale. Like this one, he didn't have it listed anywhere but still contacted me. Yes, his name was Fred Morrel. Real nice guy! Not sure he even cared to sell it really, but he had several other killer trikes to keep himself busy with and decided it was time for someone else to enjoy it. Glad he picked me lol

86T3
02-12-2017, 11:36 PM
That's Fred's trike. He's a great guy, won a lot of races on that. I'd ask him how fresh the motor is, I know he used to have it gone through every winter. The hours would be low on it but a lot of stress. I'm glad someone local got it, nice score

ATCeeya
02-12-2017, 11:57 PM
Yea he told me everything about it, I knew what I was buying. Still, couldn't pass this baby up!

86T3
02-13-2017, 12:02 AM
I actually almost bought it last year but a chunk of money I was promised didn't end up appearing so I wasn't able to. Are you planning on racing it at all?

ATCeeya
02-13-2017, 12:09 AM
Yea, it's definately my most expensive trike to date lol...always tough to throw down a chunk of money but I didn't foresee another turn key hybrid falling in my lap again any time soon. I'd like to race it, I have to see how I feel on it first. Make sure we get along haha. The TT races look interesting and really fun so I might start there if I do, but I have been riding dirt since I was a kid on dirtbikes so that wouldn't be bad either I'm just a little rusty is all

Ranvier
02-13-2017, 01:07 AM
Congrats. What a score! Would love to hear how it compares to your 350x once dialed in.

86T3
02-13-2017, 01:09 AM
I'll just go ahead and spoil it, the 350x can't even compare to a.modern 450 hybrid. A 450 has twice the power and suspension that a 350x has stock. It's not even apples to oranges, it's apples to machine screws

Aulbaugh
02-13-2017, 11:45 AM
Looks awesome ATCeeya! I really like the TPCs. Let us know how the ride goes.

Ranvier
02-13-2017, 12:06 PM
I'll just go ahead and spoil it, the 350x can't even compare to a.modern 450 hybrid. A 450 has twice the power and suspension that a 350x has stock. It's not even apples to oranges, it's apples to machine screws

Yeah that doesn't really tell me anything. Of course it's a modern ride compared to a 30 year old design.

bushwacker51
02-13-2017, 12:33 PM
Yeah that doesn't really tell me anything. Of course it's a modern ride compared to a 30 year old design.

That is sweet. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. I would love to find a modern tpc trike for sale. Your lucky give us an updated ride report. Thanks and good luck

bkm
02-13-2017, 01:30 PM
It tells you exactly what you were asking. There is no comparison between the two machines except that they both have 3 wheels.

ATCeeya
02-13-2017, 02:06 PM
A black and blue tpc was for sale on CL years ago, I was scrambling to get the money together but the ad came down pretty quick. I'm just glad I got another shot at one. So used ones are out there, probably just not very often I would guess. The baddest trikes I have ever ridden are my own, both stock 350x and 250r. So this should be interesting. I wish those pics came out better. I have the bike stashed over at my dads so my wife wouldn't see it. Haven't told her yet lol. I just bought a tri-z 2 months ago, and another Yamaha 200 last month, so I didn't think a big trike purchase would go over too well. I'm going to go check it out again today though, I probably won't be able to ride it around till Wednesday.

MFW
02-13-2017, 03:44 PM
Thats great. I've been looking for a Big Red in my area and people keep flagging my ad and its removed. All I want to do is buy a Big Red and it pisses people off.

Matt

Aulbaugh
02-13-2017, 03:57 PM
I have the bike stashed over at my dads so my wife wouldn't see it. Haven't told her yet lol. I just bought a tri-z 2 months ago, and another Yamaha 200 last month, so I didn't think a big trike purchase would go over too well.

This is a classic move! Things always work out!

ATCeeya
02-13-2017, 04:37 PM
Here's some better pics of the thing. That's about it for now, when I ride it I'll let everyone know what I think of it.

Ranvier
02-13-2017, 05:08 PM
Here's some better pics of the thing. That's about it for now, when I ride it I'll let everyone know what I think of it.

Looks great! Thanks for posting it up.

yaegerb
02-13-2017, 05:23 PM
As stated, morell is one helluva racer and likely beat the crap out of that motor. You might want to do a comp check :)

ATCeeya
02-13-2017, 06:08 PM
Lol, he was honest. I know it's some guys race bike, but he did say he had it checked over and valves done. If I grenade it or the motor is shot I'll get a new one. I hear you know your way around an engine, maybe I'll ship it out to you one day :)

Dirtcrasher
02-13-2017, 10:33 PM

Someone is building a pretty nasty motor for his 350X this year. We'll see how he does at the races :naughty:

Hope to see you at Kinston!! 200X and Open class...

bushwacker51
02-13-2017, 11:11 PM
Someone is building a pretty nasty motor for his 350X this year. We'll see how he does at the races :naughty:

Hope to see you at Kinston!! 200X and Open class...

I laughed my ass off when I read you have the trike stashed at your dads house to hide it from your wife lol. I thought I was the only one that did those kind of relationship type of destroying things (hiding toys from the wife ). Good to know there is another man out there like ME lol.

6spdls1z28
02-14-2017, 02:48 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pick it up for?

Dirtcrasher
02-15-2017, 12:43 AM
Usually if people don't post it right off the rip, they want to keep it to themselves...

Good score on the 450 ATCyaaaaaaa!!

this old rz
02-15-2017, 03:31 AM
I have the bike stashed over at my dads so my wife wouldn't see it. Haven't told her yet lol. I just bought a tri-z 2 months ago, and another Yamaha 200 last month, so I didn't think a big trike purchase would go over too well.

Too Funny, Im not alone. Heres my Tri Z..I bought last month that she doesnt know I about yet. I just told her I have all my crap& tools in a pile.
She was in the hospital recovering well from a surgery when I bought it....239824

So now I'll have to figure out a way to "ease" her into the reality at some point.

hippyplz
02-15-2017, 09:50 AM
That's hilarious😂

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

RamsesRibb
02-15-2017, 11:32 AM

Just to clarify. That is true depending on the source of the engine.

Here is a 2006 TRX450 stock dyno output:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/21e20b82626bd5910980095af2d29f5d.jpg

ATCeeya
02-15-2017, 12:54 PM
The TPC engine has a CRF 450 head and cam. I've read the motors are in the 50hp range. I have no idea if that's true, and I guess I don't care either, I know either way it's going to be the fastest trike I've ever ridden. And I still haven't ridden the dang thing even once yet lol! Kinda funny I'm not the only guy hiding trikes. This isn't my first time either, I've been known to Stash atc 70's....anywhere possible haha

christph
02-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Is TPC still making trikes? I know he has a website, but I think I read somewhere that people have sent him money and they are not getting their parts.

yaegerb
02-15-2017, 02:39 PM
Sure he is...he'll walk you through every aspect of your bike, then you send him parts and no less than 4K cash and you may have everything back in 5 years or so.

And god help you if you try to file a claim....booo....hiss

Wanna spend your hard earned coin on a quality build. Talk to Kasey.

shindig
02-15-2017, 03:49 PM
They look and sound pretty awesome, based on what I have seen on YouTube videos, but the price seems pretty steep, probably in excess of $10k for a build, not including the TRX 450 which would easily be another $5k.

Who is Kasey?

KASEY
02-15-2017, 10:18 PM
It tells you exactly what you were asking. There is no comparison between the two machines except that they both have 3 wheels.

absolutely not true!!!! look up the vulture mine race here in az,,, 100 mile desert race won by a 350x over a tpc 450,,, be careful what you say,, you never know whats out there in the trike world,,,,,,

bkm
02-15-2017, 10:21 PM
absolutely not true!!!! look up the vulture mine race here in az,,, 100 mile desert race won by a 350x over a tpc 450,,, be careful what you say,, you never know whats out there in the trike world,,,,,,
I think you're reading into my comment too much. I never said the 350x couldn't compete, or even beat a 450, I just said they're not the same bikes.

bkm
02-15-2017, 10:30 PM
I'm also curious as to why you singled out my comment? 86T3 straight up says a 350x can't hang with a 450, yet you tell me to be careful what I say? All I said is they not the same. If they were, why the hell wouldn't everyone just build a 350x, including you, and save a lot of money

3 Wheel Drive
02-15-2017, 11:05 PM
The TPC engine has a CRF 450 head and cam. I've read the motors are in the 50hp range. I have no idea if that's true, and I guess I don't care either, I know either way it's going to be the fastest trike I've ever ridden. And I still haven't ridden the dang thing even once yet lol! Kinda funny I'm not the only guy hiding trikes. This isn't my first time either, I've been known to Stash atc 70's....anywhere possible haha

Trikes are easy to hide, I bought a 1974 Barrcuda and a 1970 Dodge Challenger that my girlfriend did not know about.

She saw the 70 Challenger last year at the Mopar Spring Round Up while I was driving it in next to my 71 Cuda, LOL! But she has no idea about my 74 Barracuda that I spent 40k on last year.:twisted:

ATCeeya
02-16-2017, 12:00 AM
I like your taste in cars! The less the women know the better lol!

To touch on some other posts, According to Facebook TPC is not taking new orders for 2017. I hear they are pretty backed up as it is. So if you just had to have a tpc, your waiting a year to even place an order. Average build price is $10-$12k according to what TPC has posted online. I've heard as low as $6k and as high as $20k. Depends what the doner bikes cost, if you sell un-used parts, how much aftermarket you throw at the new build. I know what mine cost to build, he bought the quad for $3600 used, the crf 450 for $2600, the frame is $2800, then add the aftermarket swingarm, axle, exhaust, handlebars, suspension,custom nerf bars,, etc etc..it adds up. You can ofcourse sell the parts you dont use from the donor bikes but what did it for me was I didn't have to do anything other than drive 2 hours and pick it up. Sure it's been raced but I don't care one bit. I wanted one and now I have one, so I'm happy. I gave a good buck for it, but I didn't see any others for sale lol so if I wanted it I had to pay up, and yea I wanted it :)

ATCeeya
02-16-2017, 12:16 PM
I've always wanted a banshee. I wouldn't say I'm afraid, I think everyone has a pretty good idea what these go for. And I showed what he had into the donor bikes and frame kit. The money transacted is between myself and the seller. A lot of people know him, it's sort of a respect/privacy thing. I've told plenty of people what I paid for it, just not on the internet. Plus if my wife ever found this thread, then I'd really be in trouble lol

Ranvier
02-16-2017, 06:13 PM
I've always wanted a banshee. I wouldn't say I'm afraid, I think everyone has a pretty good idea what these go for. And I showed what he had into the donor bikes and frame kit. The money transacted is between myself and the seller. A lot of people know him, it's sort of a respect/privacy thing. I've told plenty of people what I paid for it, just not on the internet. Plus if my wife ever found this thread, then I'd really be in trouble lol
The busted by wife online factor. That is a great one. LOL. All my purchases were a "few hundred bucks." The key for me is intercepting packages before they hit he front door.

Dirtcrasher
02-16-2017, 07:10 PM
The busted by wife online factor. That is a great one. LOL. All my purchases were a "few hundred bucks." The key for me is intercepting packages before they hit he front door.

I send half my stuff to my mothers home!! "Son, why do you need 8 Hoosier tires on beadlock wheels?", "Whats with all these brand new motors kid?" :lol:

I let my dad stay with me so...

ATCeeya
02-16-2017, 07:42 PM
Hey, so, I took my first ride on it today. I almost gotta laugh, this trike is re-freakin-diculous! I knew it would be fast, but to actually feel it was just unreal. It makes so much power in every gear at any given time, like it's almost too powerful, is that possible? Nah, but man it's just straight up nuts! It won't leave you feeling disappointed that's for sure. I'm gunna have to buy some legit riding gear for when i take this out. I went full maniac on it, buried the thing down the street, tore through my dads place like I was running from johnny law dog, drifted it through an open area the size of a football field way faster than I probably should have but I don't know what to tell yas, it's just stupid powerful and makes you feel alive. It feels very 350x~ish but just twice as much power. The bike is so tight and agile I was ripping around like nothing and hauling some serious azz. This bike is a beast! I'd like to get some gopro footage on it this summer. I still just can't get over how nasty this thing is and I've owned a ton of fast stuff. Overall, very VERY happy with it!