PDA

View Full Version : Old school vs new Hybrids

ATCeeya
02-10-2017, 02:11 AM
If money were no object and you wanted a trike, lets say a performance sport trike to ride hard and race, would you rather ride an old school souped up (insert favorite 80's trike here), or would you rather have a new school hybrid, and why? I know everyone will want to say both, but pick one over the other.

I love everything about 80's trikes. Finding them, fixing them up, staring at them in my garage, and of course riding them. I've been doing it over 20 years. But now with hybrids being very attainable, and probably a blast to ride, I wonder if its the way to go for an all out rider/racer? Again, if money were no object. After all, how long can I keep pounding the snot out of my mid 80's trikes? Maybe another 30 years? Maybe not..I also wonder, at what point would the new hybrid not be worth much money? An 86 250r isn't going down in price any time soon, but what will a hybrid today be worth in 10, 20, or 30 years? Cause they aren't cheap to build that's for sure. Im probably digging a little too far into this, but I see trikes as an investment as well, call me crazy.

I'm very interested to hear others point of view on this.

atcmatt
02-10-2017, 02:22 AM
Something to ride the heck out of would have to be a new hybrid. I just don't think you can beat parts availabilty for them. It's horses for courses. I would still rather sit and stare at my 350x any day of the week, you just cant beat that classic look. I would probably swap my mint 350x for a hybrid if given the chance just because I hate riding it too hard. Having said that, she never goes away dirty and is always maintained.

Matt

83ATC185
02-10-2017, 09:45 AM
They are the future of our sport. I feel in another 20 years, parts and factory 3 wheelers will dry up, nice riders being nearly non-existent. I don't know that i would be willing to ride a 50 year old atv as it was intended to be used. A hybrid is definitely going to be the way to go. With the mindset of "I want a brand new 3 wheeler to ride", compare the cost of building or buying a NOS trike with the cost of a hybrid as well as parts availability, better aftermarket support, more power in a lot of cases, if i had to pick between my 200x and a new hybrid trike for one to ride for the rest of my life I'd take the new one.

However the reliability and simplicity of the old machines can't be beat.

As far as the value goes, who knows? If they stop building new quads because the world has moved on to the next new thing...

Put a trike in every available space. Garage, kitchen, living room. When you run out of room in the kitchen, you can remove the stove and get a US90 in that space, upright.

JacobMonster
02-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Definitely new. With modern parts and engineering, it would be so much better. Ride quality, power, tuneability. I'd love to get me one of the Hall's Kawasaki trikes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

86T3
02-10-2017, 12:22 PM
I love my Hall's Kawasaki so much I sold my 86 tecate 500 and bought another 450 to convert! The ride is incredible and I love the 4 stroke motor. Its also a lot easier to find a newer dirtbike with a title than a 30 year old trike with a title if you need one to ride public areas. And like you said, parts availability it's wonderful. A con is that you'll be put into the open or pro class at most trike races on a hybrid, even if your skill level isn't high enough. It's really a preference issue, I can see arguments from both sides.

atc300r
02-10-2017, 12:40 PM
I love my old 250rs and 200xs but Id love a new modern conversion.Even though Im a 2 stroke guy at heart Im not against 4 strokes. I love riding my sons auto X at times.

Dirtcrasher
02-10-2017, 11:33 PM
The new technology with fuel injection and the different power curves you want by just changing 1 little electrical plug in change; AMAZING!!

And it had the air korks on there too. And that was all "stock"!!

Joe saw that new KX450 conversion at Hamlin,PA as well; It was just perfect and I guarantee you they were still a few things Jason learned on that build.

They are only gonna get better and better...

barnett468
02-11-2017, 12:27 AM
Its also a lot easier to find a newer dirtbike with a title than a 30 year old trike with a title if you need one to ride public areas.

If you need a title for a trike you can possibly get one from Vermont in around 6 weeks for around $100.00 . I just got one along with plates and registration for my Lincoln and my 1969 Honda Z50 . Just call them and ask.

VERMONT DMV PHONE NUMBER

(802) 828-2000

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

efhondakid
02-11-2017, 03:28 PM
Would never sell my 85 R but I'd love to have a modernized setup as well. My ideal setup would be 07+ YZ250 Based conversion. The ergos and handling as well as the terrific hit and power those motors have would be an absolute killer package on 3 wheels.

RIDE-RED 250r
02-11-2017, 05:45 PM
The hybrids are amazing, have terrific parts support, and in most cases are more suited to the various types of racing, that cannot be denied. And my hat is off to the guys that are building these high quality rigs..well, all but on guy in particular ;)

But myself, I'm an old school guy. I like old guns, old trucks, old tractors, old outboards, and old wheelers. I don't race, just a recreational rider. If money were no object, I would build the most badass 431 Puma powered 250r I possibly could. And again, if money were no object, I would stock up on enough spare parts to keep my old trike alive and well for the rest of my life. I just love hauling my trikes on the trailer behind my old '78 Chevy, it's like stepping back in time. :)

vroomy
02-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Im with ride red. Im sure the new 4 stroke handle great but i personally think the old school trikes look so much better (maybe because ive grown up with them) my ideal trike would be someone making chromoly frames for the 250r or tecate that run the late model 2 stroke motors.

RamsesRibb
02-11-2017, 08:34 PM
I would love to convert a new 2 stroke 300 bike like a Husqvarna or Gas Gas into a trike.

RIDE-RED 250r
02-12-2017, 09:32 AM
I would love to convert a new 2 stroke 300 bike like a Husqvarna or Gas Gas into a trike.

Being a 2-stroke lover when it comes to go-fast time, THIS is a hybrid I would love to see! A KTM300 ATC!

BOB MARLIN
02-12-2017, 10:40 AM
I have both old school and a 450 hybrid. All though I'm still getting used to the 450 I can already tell its going to become my choice of trikes. They are totally different rides. The suspension on the 450 hybrid is fantastic and is much easier on an aging body. Electric start is a great feature, and the power usable all through the rpm range makes them a joy to ride. The deciding factor is going to be reliability for me. Everyone knows you can beat on a Honda ATC for decades with nothing but oil changes and never have a problem. We will see how these trikes hold up. Also you have to be the kind of guy that can think outside the box and be able to fabricate some of your own parts for the hybrids. There is a lot of mix match of factory parts along with quite a few custom adapters that have to be made. While it is nice to be able to go to the dealer and get parts that are available, If any of the custom parts break your S.O.L.

As far as the cost, I only have about half the money into my 450 than I have in my 250r, but then again my 250r is not stock either. My 250r Big Bore is faster than my 450 hybrid But my 250r is no longer as reliable as it was when it was stock. I will probrably never build another "ATC" based trike, but I do have a lot of interest in building another hybrid. The next one might be a 500+cc 4 stroke KTM based trike.

=

Matt85'350x
02-12-2017, 01:42 PM
I'm still working on my old school hybrid but would love a newer one in the future. A Husqvarna with e-start would be awesome. Actually a kfx450r would be my ultimate. Aluminum frame 450 with electric start and reverse. And fuel injection.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ATCeeya
02-12-2017, 10:19 PM
Thanks for replies, I found a tpc and bought it tonight so it's time to see what all the fuss is about lol. I posted pics in another thread

bandito90
02-12-2017, 10:59 PM
My trike is both new and old. A crf230 motor in a 200x. I like the updated motor.