PDA

View Full Version : No oil pressure light on a 200X?

Rob Canadian
02-06-2017, 10:40 PM
I know they make oil coolers for the 200X. Figured the oil cooler is on the pressure side correct? I wonder if anybody has installed a oil pressure switch?

Reason. Seen a couple oil pumps or chains take a dump and can ruin a engine. I would think a no oil pressure light is possible. Now what kind of pressure would I be looking at?

I did a search and came up a bit empty. I am sure it can be done...

yaegerb
02-07-2017, 12:16 AM
They used to make oil cooler kits but finding and old aftermarket one is fairly difficult. You can make your own and there is a schematic somewhere on this site to do so. The oil cooler lines are tapped from the front of the clutch cover. Likely you could install a pressure switch but I have never seen it done. I don't remember the 200x generating much pressure.

Ghostv2
02-07-2017, 01:33 PM
They sell cheap kits all over eBay. All colors and sizes. Electric fans and all. Upgraded lines and hardware. Depends on your budget really. You can get small Chinese kits for like $20.
As far as your pressure question, no clue. Can't you just tap into where you would normally for a cooler and just add a gauge? Then you'll know how sensitive of a pressure light to buy. Then just hook up the cooler for now until the switch comes in so you can still ride? Like I said, no clue.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170207/a12ba4a77b5be2e0bfcb3b61db394669.jpg

Rob Canadian
02-07-2017, 08:53 PM
Ok. Thanks for getting me in the right direction.

Honestly don't think I will need an oil cooler at this point as it is stock. When I get a chance I will play around and find out what pressure I am running. I am sure it is not much also. I could not find any info. 1 PSI, 2 PSI???

I figured if it was easy enough to tap into the pressure side and install a switch and wire it up to a small light near the bars it maybe a cheap thing to do and have a bit of insurance before something goes for a dump and wreck the head or more...

yaegerb
02-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Well, I can tell you it's a low enough pressure that if a little bit of something get stuck in a oil passage you instantly burn up a top end....I am guessing very weak pressure at best.

christph
02-07-2017, 11:01 PM
Mickey Dunlop at Four Stroke Tech sells them specifically for the 200X. He can take all the guess work out of it. I think they go for around $100.

Ghostv2
02-08-2017, 07:52 AM
Mickey Dunlop at Four Stroke Tech sells them specifically for the 200X. He can take all the guess work out of it. I think they go for around $100.

I knew he did the coolers and just about everything else motor wise for a first gen but I didn't know he actually sold oil pressure sensors with the whole works.
Or do you mean just an oil cooler kit?

Rob Canadian
02-10-2017, 07:47 PM
I knew he did the coolers and just about everything else motor wise for a first gen but I didn't know he actually sold oil pressure sensors with the whole works.
Or do you mean just an oil cooler kit?

He was just talking oil coolers. Ya. Kit sells for $85.

I contacted MD about oil pressure. He had no idea.