PDA

View Full Version : Brake fluid turned to gel??

rouseanator
02-06-2017, 09:56 PM
Hey guys I bought a couple 350x's that sat for years and all the brake fluid is no longer liquid it's more of a gel. Is there any hope cleaning it out or is it time for new brakes? 239580

yaegerb
02-06-2017, 09:59 PM
Sure you can clean that, but I would suggest master rebuild kit.

rouseanator
02-06-2017, 10:13 PM
Sure you can clean that, but I would suggest master rebuild kit.

Any idea what to clean it out with? Any advice will be helpful as I have never seen this before.

yaegerb
02-06-2017, 10:14 PM
Brake cleaner and a crapload of compressed air

Scootertrash
02-06-2017, 11:36 PM
Any idea what to clean it out with?

I'm gonna go with brake cleaner. Since it's brake fluid.

M/C kit and caliper rebuild kit too.

Rob Canadian
02-06-2017, 11:49 PM
Try and get most of that gel out of there by scraping it out. Then brake clean and try and get it clean as possible.

Honestly I would but a rebuild kit into the master as said above. I am sure it is nasty in the master too. Have you looked at the caliper yet? Does the piston move back? Maybe rebuild the caliper too. Hope the piston is not seized too much. Kits are fairly cheap. Brakes are kind of a good thing to have too.

knappyfeet
02-07-2017, 12:35 AM
Is there any hope cleaning it out or is it time for new brakes?

Yea you can clean it. Follow Canadians recommendation and get everything you can off before a good soaking.

Brakleen works along with isopropyl alcohol to help break it down

I hope I'm wrong but if the master looks like that then your brake line might be filled with that and that's no fun.

Good luck

rouseanator
02-11-2017, 08:23 PM
Got another question. I cleaned out all the crap and re assembled it. I filled the reservoir with fluid and nothing happens. Shouldn't the fluid start to drain into the system when I crack the bleeder screw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Canadian
02-11-2017, 09:14 PM
Yes it should. Try taking the bleeder screw right out and see if fluid flows. This will eliminate a blocked bleeder screw. Simple but sometimes overlooked.

rouseanator
02-11-2017, 11:07 PM
Yes it should. Try taking the bleeder screw right out and see if fluid flows. This will eliminate a blocked bleeder screw. Simple but sometimes overlooked.

I took the bleeder completely out, still not draining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Canadian
02-12-2017, 12:06 AM
Time to start tearing into it. Brake fluid absorbs moisture. If it gelled up in the top I am sure it got into the master and as said above into the line and maybe the caliper.

At this point I would take it all apart. See what you are dealing with and order up rebuild kits as needed. I know it sucks but brakes are a good thing to have.

arlaunch
02-12-2017, 09:11 AM
The brake system needs to be cleaned perfect. No exceptions.

That sucker needs to be spotless. There are metal cleaning shops that can help you out if they have several types of toxic dips.

HEL brake lines are awesome.

http://www.powersportsdiscount.com/oemparts/a/hon/506baa3cf870023420a21290/front-brake-master-cyl

In the long run you may find it cheaper and easier to just buy new brakes and lines.

Especially if you end up going to the hospital because your bike did not stop.