PDA

View Full Version : Dune Riding

El Camexican
02-04-2017, 12:36 AM
How common is it to get a flat tire at the Imperial dunes? Wondering if I need to bring a spare set of wheels. Would prefer not to. If flats are common are there repair options within an hour's drive, or do you use plug style patches?

Anyone planning to be there before the 10th?

HairyJR
02-04-2017, 12:51 AM
Flat tires are not common, unless you drive out though the scrub brush hard packed areas. Enough people there with tools to break down and repair flats. Hope you're only talking about the Invasion trip!

my plan is to be there early Wednesday the 8th, only 5 days and can't wait!

"HJ" 239495 :beer

El Camexican
02-04-2017, 12:56 AM
Flat tires are not common, unless you drive out though the scrub brush hard packed areas. Enough people there with tools to break down and repair flats. Hope you're only talking about the Invasion trip!

my plan is to be there early Wednesday the 8th, only 5 days and can't wait!

"HJ" 239495 :beer

Great! I plan to be there early on the 9th. I'll leave the spare wheels at home, thanks!!!!

Scootertrash
02-04-2017, 06:07 PM
I would think that if you get a flat in that sandy stuff you're dune something wrong. :naughty: ;)

wrightracing
02-05-2017, 05:42 AM
You do have to watch out for stuff around where people camp on the flats. Old fire pits may have glass or nails from pallets. For the most part you are good. The only flat I have gotten at Glamis was a tire came off the bead. There are a couple places by the Glamis Beach Store across the road. Have fun, it's great out there. If Bob's BBQ food truck is next to the Flats ramp, get some beef ribs, definitely the best.

David...

BOB MARLIN
02-05-2017, 09:28 AM
There is a kit you can buy at the motorcycle stores or on line that has tire plugs, glue , install tools and 3 tiny compressed air bottles with adapters for the valve stem. It's only as big as your hand. I always carry it with me when I ride. It has saved the day more than a few times for me.

El Camexican
02-06-2017, 10:56 PM
There is a kit you can buy at the motorcycle stores or on line that has tire plugs, glue , install tools and 3 tiny compressed air bottles with adapters for the valve stem. It's only as big as your hand. I always carry it with me when I ride. It has saved the day more than a few times for me.

I think I have that same kit. I remember the first time I used it I messed up and ran out of all those little bottles LOL! Now I carry bicycle sized inflation cans with me as well as those plugs, but those probably aren't enough for a trach tire.