PDA

View Full Version : Top End Help

compaqkoci
02-05-2004, 09:10 PM
i got a friend who has a 110 honda and it has a stripped spark plug hole what can i do to fix it?

packhamstruck
02-05-2004, 09:22 PM
You can use a helicoil for it, had to do that to a oil LT 185 oil drain plug

packhamstruck
02-05-2004, 09:24 PM
That first oil was ment to be old

jeswinehart
02-05-2004, 09:27 PM
you better take your friend along (on payday) to your local napa or auto parts store and ask about a heli-coil kit.. take the correct plug along with you also,,,

be sure to put the piston at the top and after you do your drilling + tapping ,,, dousch it out real good to flush out the metal shavings.

john

J.D.
02-05-2004, 11:08 PM
The CORRECT way to go about it would be to take the head off, and try and run a CORRECT SIZE tap through the bottom of the hole, depending on how far the threads are messed up. Next option is a Helicoil, good luck!

compaqkoci
02-05-2004, 11:51 PM
i will take the head off, i will check the rings out to while i am at it :-D

compaqkoci
02-05-2004, 11:52 PM
what is heli-coiling anyway i heard of it no one ever explained it to me though :rolleyes:

jeswinehart
02-06-2004, 08:36 PM
heli coils are a insert into a stripped out hole (spark plug being the most common use of)
the spark pluk pictured has one halfway threaded onto the plug.
you get a tap in the kit and it tells you to use a certain size drill bit to drill the hole out and then you run the tap in ,,, cutting new threads for the heli coil.
the black thing is the insert tool that i don't use. i prefere to use needle nose pliers. you also use a thread locking compound on the insert.
i wait a day to let compound to set up and then break off the tang thing.
the tapping out new threads is where slow ,,, diligents is needed.
it's all about your confidence level i reckon. if you think you need to take the head cap off your machine to do it ,, okay. i don't.
as far as taking the whole top end off your trike ,,, ummm ,,, better order a top end gasket kit too,.

john