PDA

View Full Version : 350x footpeg/brake lever bolt

350xtrike.rider
12-24-2016, 01:04 AM
Things got interesting today trail riding with the fam. Taking higher jumps then normal going a little crazy :cool: till all the sudden the flying monkeys strike again!
The bolt that holds the footpeg and brake lever on sheers off leaving me running over my foot (luckly all my skin is still intact.) so I haul the TreeFiddy back to the garage, take it all apart and sure enough it broke off just far enough in I can't grab it with Vise Grips. So Drill/Tap time!
Started with a well oiled 3/8" drill bit so I could get through it a little faster. worked my way up to 1/4" then all the sudden something snaps and the drill started rocking funny.
Just another of those "WHY ME!" moments :lol:
BUT it was just the broke bolt end breaking free and spinning into the frame. Then I just searched my hoard of parts for the correct bolt, ran it through the wire wheel and away I went. Back on the road in less then an hour :beer
but now my clean framed bike has a broke bolt end in it.
Lessons learned yet no money spent :postwhore

Scootertrash
12-24-2016, 01:59 AM
That's why I keep a set of left handed drill bits in my drill drawer. ;) :Bounce

Dirty200
12-28-2016, 04:48 PM
I did the EXACT same thing to mine... broke off a bolt extractor in there.... talk about an on-going trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro show. :wondering

mdmike
01-03-2017, 12:33 PM
238247238248238249Same thing happened to me as well, but luckily it happened while I was kicking the bike over and not riding it.

I ended up using some scrap tubing I had laying around the garage to fix mine. 1 inch diameter 1/4 inch wall DOM tubing slipped right over the end of the "nub" on the frame with the broken bolt/drill bit in it. I drilled the foot peg bolt hole out to 1 inch and welded the tubing to it. Luckily, I had another piece of tubing that "sleeved" over the 1 inch tubing, so I cut the factory brake lever off and welded that to the other piece of tube. I drilled a hole in it so I could grease the pivot. I was lucky enough to get a couple threads cut in the end of the frame before my tap hit the broken bolt (I even cut the end off my tap flat so it could bottom out in the hole).

Now, instead of the foot peg being held on single shear with the small factory bolt, its 100% sleeved with 1/4 inch wall tubing.

(Edited to add pics)