PDA

View Full Version : Ytm 200 questions

its_serg
12-19-2016, 07:49 AM
Been some time since I've posted and what better way to figure out my problem when with fellow wheelers. So I picked up my buddies ytm 200 I know the history on it and now it's mine, carbs not getting fuel on the initial start up so I adjusted the a/f screw that's fine. It was choking out from the air filter being on took it out sprayed starter fluid in it and boom runs like a top. If it stalls out I just pull start it and runs like nothing happened. Went out Friday night it was chilly out, so I'm thinking new carb fuel lines? Anyone have a similar problem? Thank for the help. Also I did buy a new plug which I plan on putting in it, put fresh gas in it and the air filter is still out box is closed.

El Camexican
12-19-2016, 09:58 AM
Get rid of all your old fuel. Remove the fuel petcock from the tank and make sure the screen is not blocked. Remove and clean your carburetor thoroughly. Put a new, or clean air filter on it. Try to start it and see what happens.

its_serg
12-19-2016, 10:09 AM
Buddy wrapped the air filter with a uni filter but it wants to die when I put it back on. It's pretty tacky o that might be it too. Might just run it with no filter. Well could be gas I guess. I filled it full with new gas the same night and I know it has a new petcock on it and he cleaned the carb put maybe a month or so ago. I haven't really gotten to into it but I'll check later today.

czac
12-19-2016, 10:10 AM
i'm thinking the carb cleaner sprayed on your air filter may have ate away at it some and caused it to break down and get in the carb...

Oh, PS... and never use regular oil on a new air filter.... i did it in a pinch and have paid for it for a month... it seems that when running, the carb was sucking the oil out of the filter and it was turning into like a sort of gum in my carb! it would run fine then the next day it wouldn't, then it would run fine after cleaning the carb and then it wouldn't. I went through the carb, replaced the line, cleaned out the pet cock, added an in line filter (that did noting but clog up in no time) even took the gas out, washed out the tank and used new gas! then I tried taking off the air filter to see if there was maybe some crap in side it (it seems that mice like to nest in the airbox!) and thats when it hit me... i saw motor oil in the tube that connects the carb to the air box! lol... took off the filter, cleaned the carb and it was good to go. sdly, now i have more issues with starting it... but thats another post and not related to the air filter... lol

its_serg
12-19-2016, 12:17 PM
Ok guess I'll put the leg work into it clean the carb new gas clean out the petcock. As far as the filter goes he strayed it uni filter oil so I'll just get a new filter and let that be that. Going to change out the lines as well. Thanks for the help.

El Camexican
12-19-2016, 07:12 PM
and thats when it hit me... i saw motor oil in the tube that connects the carb to the air box!

The crankcase vent tube runs into the intake tube. Often when you stand the trike up on the rear bar oil goes into the box and air filter and if your rings are worn there will likely be traces of oil in that tube. I used motor oil on my stock filter for over 20 years and never had an issue. I do recall that with stock jets they will stall out when you spike the throttle from idle when the filter is off, but regardless of that you should never run an engine without an air filter, especially an ATV.

its_serg
12-19-2016, 07:29 PM
sounds good ya i just gotta get it in a garage and get it taken apart. like i said ill just replace alot of the line and get the filter back on.

czac
12-20-2016, 09:12 PM
The crankcase vent tube runs into the intake tube. Often when you stand the trike up on the rear bar oil goes into the box and air filter and if your rings are worn there will likely be traces of oil in that tube. I used motor oil on my stock filter for over 20 years and never had an issue. I do recall that with stock jets they will stall out when you spike the throttle from idle when the filter is off, but regardless of that you should never run an engine without an air filter, especially an ATV.

goot to know about standing it up.... lol i think my issue was that when i put the oil on it, i just poured it on it and sort of rubbed it in instead of sorta soaking the fliter and then wringing out the excess oil...lol anyhow, im thinking of putting the pod filter back on as i dont plan on going into or through any water in the not too distant future... we willsee though, i also could just oil the filter properly too/// lol