PDA

View Full Version : ATC 125m

ArizonaATC
12-18-2016, 10:10 PM
Bought a 1984 atc125m 4 months ago, it has a weak spark but was in overall good condition. I replaced the coil, spark plug, and then the stator, after the new stator was installed it ran great for a solid month then all of a sudden it quit without warning. It has 0 spark now, i tried using the original coil as well as another new plug and no change. I tested both coils for continuity and they're both giving me no reading. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with anything similar, I am willing to buy a new coil but i'm wondering if there is an underlying issue causing the coils to fail?

Thanks!

ArizonaATC
12-19-2016, 01:18 PM
anyone ? bump

BarnBoy
12-20-2016, 05:17 PM
Well, I would check all the electrical connections. Especially the wire going from the stator to the coil. Make sure its not full of dirt or anything. Check the solder joint by the stator too. And if you have been running in some deep mud/water you may have gotten the stator coil wet and shorted out possibly? You could try trimming of 1/4 in of the end of your spark plug wire, and check where it connects to the coil.

Could also be the CDI but I doubt it, they don't go bad very often. You can try a new coil but I would check the other simpler (and cheaper) things before buying one.

ArizonaATC
12-20-2016, 07:44 PM
Well, I would check all the electrical connections. Especially the wire going from the stator to the coil. Make sure its not full of dirt or anything. Check the solder joint by the stator too. And if you have been running in some deep mud/water you may have gotten the stator coil wet and shorted out possibly? You could try trimming of 1/4 in of the end of your spark plug wire, and check where it connects to the coil.

Could also be the CDI but I doubt it, they don't go bad very often. You can try a new coil but I would check the other simpler (and cheaper) things before buying one.
It was driven through deep waters, probably about 1.5-2 feet, will check, thanks.

BarnBoy
12-20-2016, 08:11 PM
It was driven through deep waters, probably about 1.5-2 feet, will check, thanks.

Yup, I bet that is the problem. You probably need to buy a new stator or you might be able to rewind the old one. Will have to test and see. Might want to check your seal between the pull starter assy. while you are at it. That is probably where the water came in, either there or from around the pull starter handle. Better check/change the oil too if you haven't already, wouldnt want to drive it to long with water in the oil.