PDA

View Full Version : motor coming out tonight

Dirty200
12-13-2016, 04:03 PM
pulling the heart out of my 350x tonight. anything funny about pulling them? shes going to get the full rebuild. need to know where you guys get all your parts. also what can we do to give her a little more "umph"

BOB MARLIN
12-13-2016, 04:25 PM
You can still get most all the parts from Honda. I've switched all my 350x's to 10.25:1 high compression pistons. The 350's really run good with them. I don't think there is much of a horsepower jump but it does feel like it adds a noticable amount of torque, and they seem to just run better, smoother and crisper with it. And you can still run pump gas. Make sure you get a quality bore and hone job to fit your new piston.

Dirty200
12-13-2016, 04:33 PM
BOB- ive got a performance shop near me saying they can bore for 95$ does that sound about right? also the will port and polish for 135. but to be completely honest, im not sure what the benefit of a port and polish is if someone can fill me in on that haha

Dirtcrasher
12-13-2016, 08:12 PM
Boring is about the right price if they're any good.

But if they offered to port for 130$, I'd run far away. It take hours and hours and hours to port a 350X head...

yaegerb
12-13-2016, 08:54 PM
130.00 is super cheap. Either you found the porter of the century or you are going to get back a boat anchor. Typical 4 stroke port and polish starts ~300.

barnett468
12-13-2016, 10:41 PM
what can we do to give her a little more "umph"

ok, well you need to be a LOT more specific but bob marlins suggestion is pretty much a universal requirement.

do you want more bottom end or more top end with less bottom end power?

do you want it loud or do you want to run the stock exhaust?

do you want more top speed or can you live with a little less top speed if it accelerates more quickly or do you want similar top speed?

how much money do you have?

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

barnett468
12-13-2016, 10:47 PM
What is the elevation where you typically ride?

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

arlaunch
12-13-2016, 11:27 PM
I would recommend pulling/loosening up the cylinder head and clutch parts while the motor is in the frame.

I made the mistake of pulling my motor quick... Lost all the much needed leverage to get some real difficult bolts out.

It is more difficult on the bench.

get parts here

http://powersportsdiscount.com/oemparts/index

BOB MARLIN
12-14-2016, 10:08 AM
I paid $90 for my last bore job. $130 for porting a four stroke sounds a bit odd . A decent port job should be way more than that. Like Barnett said it's all about what your looking for. If your trike is stock now you will notice a difference if you go with the HC piston, after market exhaust and proper jetting. If you really want to make more HP it will cost quite a bit.

Dirty200
12-14-2016, 02:25 PM
ok, well you need to be a LOT more specific but bob marlins suggestion is pretty much a universal requirement.

do you want more bottom end or more top end with less bottom end power?

do you want it loud or do you want to run the stock exhaust?

do you want more top speed or can you live with a little less top speed if it accelerates more quickly or do you want similar top speed?

how much money do you have?

more bottom end, I would like similar top speed, might change gearing to get a little more. loud is fine and id like to be in and out for <$1000 the highest im ever riding is maybe 1100feet, typically around 300ft (21701)

Dirty200
12-14-2016, 02:26 PM
if they are so far off on the port and polish should I stay away from them in general?

yaegerb
12-14-2016, 02:39 PM
if they are so far off on the port and polish should I stay away from them in general?

Do they have a website? Do you know anyone you can talk to who has had their porting? Just seems really cheap to me. Also, if you are around 1000, a good port job will be a little less than half that. I would get a piston/bore, cam, exhaust, bearings and seals. Also consider that you may have crank work to do as well. Put it back together and then porting can be next on your list of upgrades.

arlaunch
12-14-2016, 03:39 PM
Less than a 1000 dollars is going to be difficult in my humble opinion.

If you want to spend that or less, maybe lower your standards a bit.

It is impossible to forecast financial loss on a motor that isn't even apart yet. Nobody has a clue what condition the head, crank shaft assembly etc. are in.

If your cam journals are shot Megacyle cams charges 550 to install a needle bearing cam.

This is such a fantastic hobby to buy a bike for 1000 dollars, dump another 3000 into it and then it is worth 1700 hundred LoL

There are literally hundreds of old threads out there on these subjects. I just finished up reading the majority of them. It seems the 350X hop up crusade has come and gone.

Luckily Mickey Dunlap, RD springs, DG, Megacyle etc. coupled with whats left of the Honda OEM parts can suffice.

I did the same thing, "pulling a motor without researching first" It has been quite time consuming and educational.

A member here Swigin who is affiliated with HRE ATV has lots and lots of great threads as well as Dirt Crasher who is still around and helping out with this subject today.

Dirtcrasher
12-14-2016, 08:47 PM
Many of us know and respect Jason Hall (Halls Performance).

I know it takes him in the area of 10 hours to port a 350X head. He has to stop ever so often to give his hand a rest :lol:

He ported my 350X head and it really woke it up in addition to a cam, 10.25:1 piston, valve springs and an FCR carburetor...

czac
12-19-2016, 10:41 AM
This is such a fantastic hobby to buy a bike for 1000 dollars, dump another 3000 into it and then it is worth 1700 hundred LoL

quote of the century!