PDA

View Full Version : 84 200x carb adjustment

averysdad
12-12-2016, 08:57 PM
My 200x has a new topend and rebuilt carb with less than 5 hours on it runs good. The first time I set the carb buy ear ran good exhaust pipe is black at the end and the plug looks good to me light brown. The problem is it was a muther to start so I got a cheep one wire tach off eBay seated the pilot screw then turned it out 1 3/4 turns started the bike adjusted the rpm to 1300 With the idle screw then turned the pilot screw in slowly until the engine died and backed it out 1 turn after that ajusted the idle screw back to 1300 using the tach just like the manual says. Now it starts on the first kick every time wow the problem is if I stab the throttle with the clutch pulled in it will idle high and stay there until I let out the clutch the idle will fall back down and stay there even when I pull the clutch back in stabe the throttle agin with the clutch in and the idle speed gos back up until I ease off the clutch again gos back down it never dies or revs out of control just has 2 different idle speeds.
Is this normal? if not what is the problem?

Rob Canadian
12-12-2016, 09:11 PM
Not normal. I think it is a cable routing issue.

I think when you pull in the clutch cable you are bending the throttle cable a bit and the throttle cable is hanging up when you stab the throttle.

averysdad
12-12-2016, 09:28 PM
If I'm in neutral idling and and stab the throttle the idle speed will go up and not come back down with out touching the clutch. Maybe my cable is to old I have it routed like the manual says. If the throttle is sticking a little bit why dose it idle back down when I put load on the motor dose this happen? I'll oil the cable and put a stiffer spring I have in the carb tomorrow just to see if it's that

Scootertrash
12-12-2016, 10:58 PM
If the cable is rusty, or if it's a factory cable with the plastic coating inside the cable housing, oil may not do the trick. I'd just install a new, quality cable and hang the old one on the wall for a spare. Git rid of any doubts in the cable and go from there.

NOS throttle cable is only 15.00. There was 2, I bought 1 ;) :beer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-OEM-83-84-85-ATC-200-Throttle-Cable-17910-VM3-405-/381369407112?hash=item58cb635688:g:lLAAAOSwd0BVsip ~&vxp=mtr

I've had good luck with Motion Pro for aftermarket cables, about the same price as the NOS one I listed above. I'd go NOS. Oh! Wait! I did!

averysdad
12-12-2016, 11:23 PM
I don't know if the cable is original but it's old so I need a new one any way thinks for the link. I'm going to investigate now that I have some ideas from you guys. I don't think it's the throttle sticking because it wasn't doing it until I adjusted the carb it sure starts easy now first kick. Maybe the cable went right when I got the carb set just right that kinda thingh happens some times.

yaegerb
12-19-2016, 11:27 PM
Also make sure that you don't have any airleaks around the carb/intake.