PDA

View Full Version : Opinion Needed for my Friend's Craiglist Find - Tri-Moto

brandonlowe2
11-30-2016, 12:38 PM
My buddy has caught the trike itch.... he has recently found a Tri-Moto 225 on craigslist about an hour away and he is asking my opinion on it. It will need some work, but, even though I have been learning really fast on my projects, I don't want to give him a definite answer without consulting 3 Wheeler World first... let me know your thoughts please, I don't want to lead him into a wasted 500 or 600 bucks

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/snw/5882646663.html

Matt85'350x
11-30-2016, 01:11 PM
I disagree that it's rare; what's so rare about it? Around here you can get a running 225 for that price; I'd definitely pass.

R-N-D
11-30-2016, 01:25 PM
Same thing we get here. Everything is rare when it comes to guys selling their 3 wheelers. One guy locally has a 70 that he's asking $2k for because, are you ready, it's a rare find. Or, he's clueless and greedy. It'll never sell.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fabiodriven
11-30-2016, 01:40 PM
They love tossing that word around, rare rare rare. It's not that rare. I don't think it's a fantastic deal but not a bad deal either. Love it when they list the pointless stuff as if it's going to bring the value up. New gaskets! Wow!!

3 Wheel Drive
11-30-2016, 01:41 PM
I think its a cool trike, but it needs work. Someone on here put a tri z front end on their dx, it looked nice imo.

Id rather have the black 225 than yellow. If money is tight you may want to find a honda.

83ATC185
11-30-2016, 01:43 PM
Yeah id pass on that...you can get a complete running one in very good shape around here for not much more than that.

Of course my opinion is that the money would be better spent on a Honda ;)

yaegerb
11-30-2016, 02:56 PM
His loss is the next owners loss. That thing is rare!....its the elusive, rare, Yamaha limited gold edition POS.

Pass

ebaccm26
11-30-2016, 03:58 PM
To be fair I do "rarely" come across them with reverse.

Aulbaugh
11-30-2016, 10:29 PM
Yeah for that price you can get a complete Yamaha 225. As most members said already the word "rare" with trikes is used far too often and not accurately used. I guess he thinks since he has only seen yellow and blue Yamahas it makes his few and far between.

OZQUAD44
12-01-2016, 07:18 AM
A Black, red frame 225 with reverse is rare. Especially one with good plastics. Restored with the period stickers, that trike would be a nice one to own.

Whilst I have no affiliations either way, I reckon a trike with a Semi auto clutch, suspension front and rear, with reverse makes it more appealing than many Hondas out there.

But I would agree, the term rare gets used far too often when selling three wheelers. I don't actually want a trike that is super super rare, because you can't find parts.

That Yamaha fits into the the nice position of having enough around to still source parts, yet it is unique.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aulbaugh
12-01-2016, 10:51 AM
A Black, red frame 225 with reverse is rare. Especially one with good plastics. Restored with the period stickers, that trike would be a nice one to own.

Whilst I have no affiliations either way, I reckon a trike with a Semi auto clutch, suspension front and rear, with reverse makes it more appealing than many Hondas out there.

But I would agree, the term rare gets used far too often when selling three wheelers. I don't actually want a trike that is super super rare, because you can't find parts.

That Yamaha fits into the the nice position of having enough around to still source parts, yet it is unique.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think for that kinda money his friend could get something that is ready to go and not have to throw the kitchen sink at it. Maybe the guy will bargain with your buddy and he could get a better deal if he is really wanting it. Sure reverse is nice, but sometimes I find it faster to put my feet down to roll in reverse. Rather than taking the steps to put the trike in reverse gear. I'm a fan of the Yamaha 225, it was my second trike to own and a blast to ride.

Ghostv2
12-01-2016, 01:59 PM
The only thing that appeals to me about that is the fact it's a DR. Which means it has reverse. 225's are EVERYWHERE. The dr's are harder to find. Rare? Debatable. Tell him to get it running and driving and maybe I'd pay that. Idk why he paid $140 for durablue spacers. I paid $40 shipped for 3.5" period correct aftermarket spacers. OEM bolt pattern and don't even need the longer studs. It bolts from both sides.

I own two 225dx's currently. They are good machines. But they are no 250sx. Not even close. Spend a few extra bucks and get a better machine. You won't regret it. And it'll run lol.

Dirty200
12-05-2016, 01:44 PM
YAMAHAMMERS... one of those bad boys cost me my perfectly healthy shoulder. broken collar bone, torn rotator cuff, a concussion, 2 surgerys, some screws and plates and we're golden. they seem to be begging to smash you on the ground IMO like ghost said, get an sx if that is the style trike youre looking for.

czac
12-07-2016, 12:00 PM
I disagree that it's rare; what's so rare about it? Around here you can get a running 225 for that price; I'd definitely pass.

well the gold spray painted front tire for one.....lol

czac
12-07-2016, 12:01 PM
Wow you must have missed the "New Spark Plug" as well.... now that AND the new gaskets has got to kick the price up a few hundred... lol,lol,lol..

czac
12-07-2016, 12:11 PM
For one... is it the factory black plastics or was it painted. same for the frame? factory red or painted? the front tire, if I'm correct, is not supposed to have "Gold walls" lol...

I have seen alot of 225's with the front and rear racks... don't know how that makes it special or rear... in fact MOST folks remove them first thing..unless they want to haul stuff like a cooler, ar a couple hotties... lol

I may be wrong but also, weren't the 225 DRN or DR or what ever the one with reverse is called, the only ones that came in black? or was there a non reverse that came in black as well?
(ok i missed it in the title of the Craigs list ad.. it is a DR... Still looks spray painted black to me though.) :wondering

I don't think its at all worth $600.00 maybe $400.00 tops. I like the durablue spacers on the rear but they can be had on ebay for about $150.00 less if you get the other brand... although i heard they can crack if you ride really hard. the ones i got are made of Aluminum... tell him to look around more, he will find one cheaper.

I have two, an 84 and an 85 the 84 is stock the 85 has some mods... a Tri-Z front end, Blaster rear hubs and wheels, Warrior head lights, after market aluminum Grab bar, LED tail / brake light and I just got a new BG exhaust system for it to replace the YZ 250 Muffler that I had on it.. (it was way too loud!)

czac
12-07-2016, 12:14 PM
"It could easily be parted out for over a grand on ebay"

tell him to go ahead and part it out then... whats he waiting for? (ill take the motor...lol I want reverse!)

Ghostv2
12-07-2016, 01:38 PM
"It could easily be parted out for over a grand on ebay"

tell him to go ahead and part it out then... whats he waiting for? (ill take the motor...lol I want reverse!)

I also need a motor. I won't even be that picky and say it has to be a DR lol.

But damn, you take double posting to a whole new level lol. You hanging around with Barnett too much and lose your edit button? (Sorry barn, I made the joke to fit in with the big boys)