PDA

View Full Version : Question about 185s

BarnBoy
11-25-2016, 08:12 PM
Hi, my 185s shifter was sticking down when shifting. I took off the right clutch cover and it seems to spring back ok. But, when the clutch cover is on and the clutch is tensioned properly, it sticks. So basically, when the pressure is off of the clutch, it returns properly. Could it be that the return spring had slipped off its place a little, or that the return spring is weak? Or could it be that the clutch is worn out? Or that the shaft is sticking in it housing? Looking for ideas, doesent make sense.

Thanks in advance.

YTZ drew
11-25-2016, 11:19 PM
It's hard to say without seeing it. I always find these type of problems require a lot of time staring and fiddling with the machine, and trying different things, like pushing the shaft in, side loading it, manually operating everything every way possible, etc. Have you tried pushing the shaft into the case (like the clutch cover would do) while operating the lever? I would suspect a bent shift shaft before anything internal, but detent springs break, and clutches stick, so there are a few possibilities. Hope my rambling helps, let us know what you find.

BarnBoy
11-25-2016, 11:41 PM
It's hard to say without seeing it. I always find these type of problems require a lot of time staring and fiddling with the machine, and trying different things, like pushing the shaft in, side loading it, manually operating everything every way possible, etc. Have you tried pushing the shaft into the case (like the clutch cover would do) while operating the lever? I would suspect a bent shift shaft before anything internal, but detent springs break, and clutches stick, so there are a few possibilities. Hope my rambling helps, let us know what you find.

Thanks YTZ Drew. Your post is just what I am looking for...just ideas/things to check. Helps a lot. Now at least I have a place to start. I have tried pushing it in like the clutch would do. Still springs back ok. Just out of curiosity, what usually causes a shifter shaft bend? What I find strange is that even before I took it apart, if I followed the clutch adjustment procedure, and backed off the nut 1/4 turn, it stuck while shifting. If I backed it off 1/2-2/3 of a turn, it felt more loose but returned just fine. Looking at the cent. clutch shoes, they look pretty worn. I would imagine the clutch plates are worn too. I bet it has the original clutch components still. Could this indicate a bend shaft? What would indicate a bent shaft? I do have a complete shaft and shifter stuff off a parts motor I could swap in if I had to.

Anyway, I hope I am not repeating myself too much. Will post what I can find out.

Thanks

350for350
11-26-2016, 11:52 AM
I'm no expert on that kind of thing, but I'd say at least replace the worn parts. I would guess that if the shoes are worn then the clutch plates probably are too. It's also possible that someone already replaced the clutch plates but not the shoes.

YTZ drew
11-26-2016, 01:45 PM
If the clutch basket is heavily grooved by the plates, that could cause a binding issue. I'd take the manual clutch apart and check the basket. You can file the grooves down and buy some time if it's worn, or just source a decent used basket. Should be easy to find one.