PDA

View Full Version : Possible to balance 200x front wheel

redemn93
11-21-2016, 02:44 PM
i just installed a new 23x8x11 Kenda K530 Pathfinder tire and its really bouncy. the original 31 year old tire was smooth so im hoping its not the wheel. Is it possible to balance these or do i need to warranty the tire. so far kenda is not being very receptive so a possible problem with their tire. i keep getting excuses.

oldskool83
11-21-2016, 02:50 PM
ran all kinda front tires never needed to balance.

Aulbaugh
11-21-2016, 02:58 PM
I looked at that tire as a possible replacement but wasn't sure how it would handle. Do you have a picture of it mounted on? I have never balanced 3 wheeler tires before, typically just put new ones on and roll. How much psi are you running in the tire?

redemn93
11-21-2016, 03:37 PM
Thats what i figure. I am trying to argue with the idiots at Kenda now.

Kenda is a decent brand, right? or so i thought.

im 99% sure its fine, but would a badly set bead cause this?

I only have 5-10 minutes on the tire but it seems fine to me. im a relative noob to 3 wheelers so please dont take what i say as gospel. but yeah, other than a terrible hop, seems fine. It goes in the direction in which i turn the wheel lol. Pic attached isnt the great but all that on my phone at the moment.

edizzle89
11-21-2016, 04:22 PM
there is a thing called 'balance beads' but usually used more on big offroad tires that are to big/hard to balance on a machine. not sure how it would work on a smaller tire but i know people who have used airsoft pellets and they were able to help balance out some 37" mud tires. not perfect but better then nothing.

Scootertrash
11-21-2016, 07:10 PM
I would make sure the bead is set properly all the way around the rim first.

redsox
11-21-2016, 08:30 PM
What are you running for PSI? how are your front wheel bearings?

Rob Canadian
11-21-2016, 08:49 PM
Raise the front tire up and give it a spin. See where the hop is. Try and get a close pic of it.

redemn93
11-22-2016, 11:07 AM
i verified the bead yesterday. filled it to 30 psi and hit it with a mallet all the way around on both sides. looked good. didnt change anything.

im running 4 psi in the front. 2-3 in the rear. front wheel bearings are brand new all balls. rear as well. and running the delrin bushings in the swing arm.

i did spin the wheel real quick yesterday but was running out of time. ill look more closely when i get home today.

i did adjust the chain at the same time i installed the tire. ill make sure they are even. if the bike pulls to one side, the opposite rear wheel should be pushed back or same side wheel brought forward. am i thinking about that right? also need to verify even pressure on both rear tires.

redemn93
11-25-2016, 05:28 PM
Bent wheel?

https://vimeo.com/193104957

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6spdls1z28
11-25-2016, 06:12 PM
My front tire used to hop when going fast rebuilt the forks and it stopped hopping

6spdls1z28
11-25-2016, 06:28 PM
It is probably out of round from sitting on the shelf. Spin it like said above find the low spot then let the air out let it go flat on the ground on the opposite side for a few hours. Ive re shaped a few doing this

350for350
11-26-2016, 11:58 AM
I know it sounds stupid, but was something accidentally left in the tire when it was mounted?

redemn93
11-28-2016, 11:34 PM
Nothing left in the tire. Street liking at out some more, I think the guy who changed the tire for my bent the wheel on the tire machine. You can see it when your spin it. I though I heard it dropping or slipping out of the machine. I can't really go street him since it was a favor behind the shop. Sucks. Just as the object was getting "finished".

Can these be straightened or not worth it? I wouldn't even know where to go. If it was possible to balance out would probably help.

redemn93
11-28-2016, 11:36 PM
Nothing left in the tire. Street liking at out some more, I think the guy who changed the tire for my bent the wheel on the tire machine. You can see it when your spin it. I though I heard it dropping or slipping out of the machine. I can't really go street him since it was a favor behind the shop. Sucks. Just as the object was getting "finished".

Can these be straightened or not worth it? I wouldn't even know where to go. If it was possible to balance out would probably help.

I meant after looking at it. Not street liking at out. Tapatalk won't let me edit.

barnett468
11-29-2016, 01:41 AM
Balancing a wheel that bounces because it is out of round and/or not true will not help much . No it is not worth trying to straighten your rim . You can statically balance a wheel if you have a truing stand big enough for it to fit into and good bearings and some stick on weights.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR