PDA

View Full Version : 200s 250r spark

Dirty200
11-11-2016, 02:34 PM
250r was a hook and you bit so here we are.:Bounce i aint got no spark and i need some. long story short traded this S as a good runner, went it its new home sat, under a tarp for a year and i had to buy it back. should have a good doner with all the parts i need, good runner just smokes as much as me. should i swap the whole harness and all the components or try to narrow it down. where should i start? already tried the switch. thanks

Hopper055
11-11-2016, 04:41 PM
Pull the cover on the side of the motor that says "CDI" Under there is a rotor and pick up. Bring the rotor around to the pick up and regap to .3-.4mm. Make sure there isn't a lot of corosion on the rotor or pick up. This helped me with weak spark on my 185s. Also check all grounds make sure there is shiny metal contacting shiny metal. You can spread dielectric grease on the metal to make sure it doesn't corrode. You can cut 1/4 of a inch off your spark plug wire ends to be sure you are getting a good connection on both ends(be careful not to make it too short). If stock the boot just spins off and the coil has a nut you can loosen to remove the plug wire. Most of these solutions involve corrosion because there is a lot of moisture under tarps that sit outside. If you have a voltmeter you can start testing individual components. The specs will be In a manual you can download. Just Google the manual for your machine. You might try swapping your known good cdi just to see if it fires. If all else fails you might try swaping stators between the two machines. I once had a stator that tested just within spec but ended up being bad.

Dirty200
11-15-2016, 05:42 PM
hopper- YOU DA FACKIN MAN!!!!! that was exactly my problem

Hopper055
11-16-2016, 09:47 AM
Glad to be of some assistance. I have found while working with these old trikes that something is rarely catastrophically wrong. It's normally a ground, switch or at worst a stator. They might smoke but they normally run. What tip ended up fixing your problem?

Dirty200
11-16-2016, 11:26 AM
that's why i love em, they haven't left me stranded yet. and I adjusted the gapping and gave myself fresh ends on the plug wire, fired right up.

Hopper055
11-16-2016, 12:04 PM
Can't beat a simple fix like that man. Glad I could help get you back on the trails. And I couldn't agree more about the reliability. They don't make them like they use to.