PDA

View Full Version : 185s Problem

redlandshomestead
02-10-2004, 09:45 PM
I installed a uni air filter since the first day i have had my 1982 185s,
and it has always had a hesitation and trouble running with no choke since the beginning. When on no choke when i give it gas fairly quickly it goes brrrrrrrrrrrrr and if you hold it it will stall , but when
i put it on mid choke it runs great, but when i run it on mid choke it
fouls the spark plugs(what is expected when running on choke for extended
periods of time). What i am asking is that since the stock air filter
is very restrictive and since the uni air filter is very open and air
flowy i think i am running on a lean condition. ANd i did a plug chop to
test my jetting and it was mostly white meaning lean and hot(right?), so my main question
is where can i get bigger jets a couple sizer bigger than the stock jets
on the 1982 185s, i have replaced everything on this bike a new head a brand new carb and carb kit, a new cylinder, bored with new rings, new piston, the stator pretty much everything.
Does anyone know why in the helln its doing this.
if anyone doesn't understand what it is doing in terms of how it sounds i will then make a video of it and post it so you can see the wierd hesitation and judge it.

howdy told me to post on the forums and i hope this works.
thx

ScottZJ
02-11-2004, 08:20 AM
You sound like you are on the right track. It seems as if you have added more air flow and now its needing more gas to work together. You can get the main jets at Honda for not too much. Just take yours out and see what size it is(not sure cuz I havent opended mine up yet). But it 2 or 3 different sizes of them and play with it. You will have to tweek it to get it right. I am thinking that should take care of your problem.........peace

redlandshomestead
02-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Is ther a website i can get bigger jets, and who can i take it to to find out what size.

ejc042
02-11-2004, 05:31 PM
The size of the jet should be stamped on the side of it.

redlandshomestead
02-11-2004, 10:34 PM
anyone else think this is the problem?

thefox
02-11-2004, 11:14 PM
It sounds like you are running lean. The air filter would make it need to be rejeted along with getting the cylinder bored. The new carb. kit would come with stock size jets. Go to your local Honda dealer or any other Honda dealer and pick up a few jets that are a few sizes larger and then try one at a time till the plug checks out. Hope this helps.

slippy4
02-11-2004, 11:49 PM
Yes, its your jetting, its running too lean, same thing happened on the trimoto 125 i have. you can order jets off of denniskirk.com but your better off going to a dealer and getting some as it should be cheaper. any mikuni will work (if thats what kind of carb it is) as said before get a few and mess around with it untill you get it right.