PDA

View Full Version : 1985 honda 250r front wheel hub bearings

hitmeup760
09-24-2016, 04:05 PM
Does anyone know how to remove the front wheel hub bearings in a 1985 honda 250r? I've been hammering away for days and they havent budged at all.

Scootertrash
09-24-2016, 05:25 PM
Got a manual?

No?

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

hitmeup760
09-24-2016, 07:52 PM
I've seen the manual but I can't find the oem head piece for the shaft remover, is there a trick anyone knows on how to get them out or anyone whose changed those out before.

Mr. Clean
09-24-2016, 08:02 PM
I just take a punch and drive the collar to one side then drive the bearing out. Once one is out the other is very easy.

Scootertrash
09-24-2016, 08:15 PM
I just take a punch and drive the collar to one side then drive the bearing out. Once one is out the other is very easy.

That's pretty much what I do. Move the spacing collar to one side, use a hammer and a long punch to hit the bearing in a couple spots then the collar should move around easier. Then I work my wayt around the bearing until it pops out. I don't like to just tap out the bearing by working in one spot. You could also heat the hub up a little with a torch to open up the hub bore a little. I've had some bearings just drop out while I was heating them up. :naughty::beer

oldskool83
09-24-2016, 08:30 PM
screw drive one side, blow it out the other. socket extentsion blow the other side out. clean up powder coat if needed and reinstall. no hard ya watch it be done once ya can do it do anything.

hitmeup760
09-28-2016, 12:22 PM
Tried everything I could with a hammer and a punch, gonna take it to a machine shop to see if they can press it out with a torch and some hydraulic luck it should be ready by this weekend.

yaegerb
09-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Tried everything I could with a hammer and a punch, gonna take it to a machine shop to see if they can press it out with a torch and some hydraulic luck it should be ready by this weekend.

Use a Mapp or butane to get the hub red hot around the circumference of the bearing, then drive out with a socket and extension from one side. You shouldn't have to take a front hub to a machine shop. Those come out just fine with the heat and beat method.

schlepp29
09-28-2016, 01:43 PM
Yaegerb is correct, but if all else fails I've used a die grinder to bearings

hitmeup760
09-30-2016, 02:46 AM
Man I've never been so happy to see a can of WD40, I let it soak for some time and with a quick hit it came loose. Thanks for all the replies guys I managed to change the bearings and install the seals, now I just have to rebuild the front brake caliber and the forks and she'll be ready for thanksgiving in glamis.

schlepp29
10-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Good deal! Hope the rest of it goes smoothly