PDA

View Full Version : 200x carb float

averysdad
09-21-2016, 09:41 PM
soaked one of my 200x carbs in cem dip put a rebuild kit in it and adjusted the plastic float to 14mm . It was at about 12 or 13mm I bent the plastic the best I could making it 14mm it's leaking from the over flow on the bowl like the float is to high or sticking. Though well maybe the cem dip ruined the valve seat so I put the same rebuild kit in a different carb cleaned with carb cleaner same problem? Just rebuilt the the top end and the bike runs really good has maybe an hour on it just need to fix the carb leaking any advice? Gas cap vent is working.

barnett468
09-21-2016, 09:47 PM
The chem dip will not damage metal but it can damage rubber parts.

If the float and rubber parts are good, the float level is most likely too high.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

yaegerb
09-21-2016, 09:47 PM
No rubber/plastic parts in Chem dip ever. Did you? If you did, then it's time for all new rubber and plastic components.

averysdad
09-21-2016, 10:03 PM
I didn't put any plastic/rubber parts in it that I know of expect the choke handle just to see what it would do. 12 hours later the choke handle was clean and not damaged. I'm using a caliper to set the float at 14 mm should be good. I'm thinking the float is plastic so it's not holding the 14mm and returning to its original shape once the gas puts a little pressure on it. Going to swap floats and pins around later and see what happens.

Dirtcrasher
09-21-2016, 10:52 PM
Leave the bowl off and see what the heights do to the flow.

Rob Canadian
09-23-2016, 07:38 PM
What year 200X?

Is the overflow and drain not on the same circuit? Thinking maybe the drain screw is not sealing. Had this on my 200X. Screw was tight. I had to remove it and use some emery cloth on the screw. Reinstalled. All good now. :)

averysdad
10-20-2016, 05:57 PM
Well I have tried 2 different carb body's 2 different floats 3 different float needles polished the float needle and seat with a q tip and carb cleaner cheeked float height. Still the same problem if I'm riding it or if it's running every thing is fine. Turn it off let it seat for 5 or 10 min and gas comes poring out the over flow hose. I'm using the same bowl every time so maybe it's the drain screw ill try that. but y dose it take 5 min to start leaking out and didn't leak when it's running? The new topend has maybe 2 hours on it so I don't want gas pouring into the cylinder. It's first gen 84 200x

83ATC185
10-21-2016, 08:51 AM
Are your floats sinking?

averysdad
10-21-2016, 08:45 PM
No I took the float off and submerged it in gas no leaks. Left the carb on the bike and took the bowl off float works as it should by hand. Put the bowl back on and still have the same problem

Rob Canadian
10-21-2016, 08:56 PM
I wonder if the carb is getting hot??

yaegerb
10-21-2016, 10:01 PM
No I took the float off and submerged it in gas no leaks. Left the carb on the bike and took the bowl off float works as it should by hand. Put the bowl back on and still have the same problem

Have you tested the float and needle to ensure its stopping the gas from entering the carb bowl at full float level?

averysdad
10-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Ya with the carb on the bike and the bowl off I hold the float level with my hand about 10 min no gas comes out. If I can't fix it soon I'm going to buy an Xr carb and intake. I think you can still buy them new right? Will my throttle cable work with the Xr carb? Kinda bugs me I rebuilt the topend and a new cam chain now I can't get the carb to stop leaking gas. It runs really awesome just can't leave the gas on lol

yaegerb
10-22-2016, 12:00 PM
I re-read your thread now I am confused. I don't remember their being an overflow hose on the oem carb. Are you referring to the bowl puke tube when you say gas is coming out?

averysdad
10-23-2016, 08:16 PM
Yes sir the bowl puke tube on the bottom of the bowl.that is also the bowl drain hose.

yaegerb
10-23-2016, 09:06 PM
Yes sir the bowl puke tube on the bottom of the bowl.that is also the bowl drain hose.

Ahhh, just get a new bowl screw an o-ring. That should stop it from coming out of the bowl drain hose.

Rob Canadian
10-23-2016, 09:56 PM

Pics of a 200X carb that I had here. The brass tube directly goes to the drain tube of the carb. Even if the drain screw is tight any rise in the float bowl will overflow to the drain tube.

As it only leaks when shut off I think the carb is getting hot and boiling the gas in the carb. Do you have a different manifold on it??