PDA

View Full Version : Honda Grom

redsox
09-18-2016, 09:40 PM
thoughts on converting this? looks cool. 125cc fuel injected?? anyone have one?

DohcBikes
09-18-2016, 10:06 PM
A converted grom for the street would be deeee-eeee-eee--cent!! Great idea, ignore all opposing opinions in this thread and go do it tomorrow!!!

It would be simple as pie to convert because they have tons of quads built with this motor configuration in them and the swingarm alignment would be right on.

They make 183cc big bore kits that more than double the horsepower.

You could build the gnarliest street legal drift trike ever. Or put dirt tires on it and call it enduro. Flat track it. Whatever.

86T3
09-18-2016, 10:21 PM
Debbie Downer here. It would be cool bUT I don't know ow anyone who would spend 3k on a mini to then put another 1-2k I to come venting it to a trike. But it would be really cool

YTZ drew
09-18-2016, 10:21 PM
Never thought of converting one, that's interesting. However, I gave been drooling at Groms ever since they came out, I think they're cool as heck. I'd love one for my 6 mile back road commute to work, which could involve a trail or two if I was so inclined. Of course, weird little bikes have always appealed to me. I liked the EZ90 too when it came out.

Bren_downe
09-19-2016, 06:39 PM
I too, have been drooling over these and I'm not even into bikes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6SVKlG9Iiak

There's a handful that cruise around in the small city where I work. I saw one of them leading a pack of about ten regular sized street bikes. One of the funniest things I saw all summer.

90nut
09-25-2016, 09:19 AM
The grome is sweet, but I still want a cub ez 90 over one. Groms are all over at the mx tracks as pit bikes.

DohcBikes
10-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Hey Dan, here is a viable option for less than half the price. TXpowersports is an excellent dealer with excellent customer service.

https://www.txpowersports.com/125cc_vader_motorcycle_moped_scooter_p/bdt-125ccvader.htm

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii603/Kamlesh36_Kumar/TX_%2011%20May/BDT-125CCVADER-10_zpseuxqqyho.jpg

fabiodriven
10-01-2016, 03:52 PM
What's the story with that bike? Who makes it? Is it a turd?

DohcBikes
10-01-2016, 04:44 PM
What's the story with that bike? Who makes it? Is it a turd?They are built by Chongqing Yujue Electrical-Mechanical Co in China. They maintain a partnership with Lifan, a fine manufacturer of engines. The engine in that bike is a 154fmi, a model with proven reliability. I've personally installed one 154fmi, in a ct90, and I was very impressed. As for the motorcycle itself, never ridden one. I will say that if you click the "More pictures" tab there are quite a few highly detailed photos, and the bike looks really nice. As with any mass produced chinese bike that doesn't go through a dealership setup, tighten everything, and put good oil and brake fluid in it, and bleed the brakes, same as the dealers do at the japanese dealerships. I wouldn't hesitate to call TX powersports and ask them how they like the bike. Their customer service department seems to get a lot of great reviews.

The bike looks really well built, and is a virtual copy of the grom.

VADER

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii603/Kamlesh36_Kumar/TX_%2011%20May/BDT-125CCVADER-19_zpsohc3cqbu.jpg

GROM

http://www.hondagrom.net/forums/attachments/508d1372785289-yoshimura-r-d-america-announces-rs-9-applications-2014-honda-grom-msx125-130701-yosh-honda-msx125-rs-9-slip-aluminum-muffler-carbon-end-cap.jpg

Zackmtr112
10-03-2016, 12:00 AM
Has anyone ever thought of converting a rebel? I'm looking to move up in bike size and I could sell mine to get the new bigger bike or keep it and convert it.

Shep1970
05-11-2019, 05:26 PM
Old post I know:rolleyes: my son has wanted a Honda grom for the past yr. We went to check them out today they are or look to be nice bikes for the cost. A bit small for me but my son fit ok on it. He’s got a few grand saved up for a vehicle, he wants a nice 4x4 truck but that’s way outa his $range. So we’re going to think about this for a couple weeks.
“If” he gets one he would like to convert it to 3-wheels;). It’s not for highway use but is street legal (top speed is about 50) it’s just for around town, he started a co-op job a couple wks ago doing metal/fab/welding for a town building Dept a couple towns away (making decent $) for a 17 almost 18yr old....they want him full time for the summer which is “great” it’ll keep him outa trouble because girls are playing mind games w/him driving him nutz...(that’s another story)
He figures banking full time pay until school starts in September then back to part time (40hrs every other wk) he could afford to buy a truck he wants by winter.
So yup he wants one.258470
The conversion kit is discontinued I found but doesn’t look that difficult 258471 I’d want to make it safe road worthy so I’d beef up any rear wheel system I found or buy.
Of course this may just be a dream for him/////“Mom hasn’t decided yet” I don’t trust any of the drivers out there either everyone’s texting or on the phone. He’s got maybe a 50/50 chance on this bike happening.
Thanks for listening.
If anything happens w/this I’ll let ya know.
Shep

Edit: the more I think about it, it’s probably a bad idea.

NeverLift
05-14-2019, 03:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq3WQHkkGTA&t=43s

knappyfeet
05-14-2019, 10:49 PM
And for $500 cheaper than a Grom........there's the Kawasaki Z125

I'm leaning towards one of these for the RV because I want to be different

barnett468
05-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Edit: the more I think about it, it’s probably a bad idea.

Yeah, it is an extremely bad idea in every possible way for his application. Aside from the obvious safety issue, he will be throwing money away by converting it that he could save and put towards a truck. Won't be too many people lining up to buy a grom converted to a 3 wheeler.

barnett468
05-15-2019, 10:57 AM
And for $500 cheaper than a Grom........there's the Kawasaki Z125

ummm...did you forget that you are talking to honda people here? :lol:

I'm leaning towards one of these for the RV because I want to be different

Why don't you get something vintage lik an xl125, you could also take it off road some if you wanted. Can't do that with the Kawi, plus it won't depreciate as much.

..................................https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery_A-L_16/Honda%20XL125%2074-76%20%202.jpg

knappyfeet
05-15-2019, 11:29 PM

Why don't you get something vintage lik an xl125,

Oh yea I forgot....Honda folks here!.......most powerful 3 wheelers in the universe!

I have a couple cute little vintage machines I use now.

They are easy starters but an electric start....efi machine would be nice

Dirtcrasher
05-16-2019, 04:35 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a GROM?? Is it one step above a moped or a scooter??

I've never even heard of one before until I saw some guys posting on FB that they all wanting a Grom...

barnett468
05-16-2019, 09:39 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a GROM??

I believe it is an abnormal grouth on the genitals.

barnett468
05-16-2019, 09:43 PM
POST KORRETION CUZ I AINT GOTZ NO EDIT BUTTON

Oh yea I forgot....Honda folks here!.......most powerful 3 wheelers in the universe!

Should read:

Oh yea I forgot....Honda folks here!.......most powerless 3 wheelers in the universe!

https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/Smileys/smilies/thumbsup.gif

larrb2314
03-15-2021, 11:30 AM
The new Honda Grom (https://www.mototechindia.com/honda-grom-125/) makes around 9.65 HP, underpowered for a 125cc motor. I like it overall though.

Shep1970
03-15-2021, 12:40 PM
The Grom makes 9.65 HP, underpowered
I'll let you know how "boring" they are in a few weeks. :D
Contemplating grabbing another one in may when the 2022's make an appearance at dealerships......touch higher compression and a five speed tranny opposed to 4speed in earlier models.
Spring is not coming fast enough! I really want the charcoal black one!!!267066

shep

Dirtcrasher
03-15-2021, 09:19 PM
^ The charcoal one looks nice!!

TSpencer
03-16-2021, 02:42 PM
A Grom is a hi performance moped if you ask me. JMHO. For the same price you can get a used real bike.

Shep1970
03-16-2021, 03:30 PM
Your right a step or two above a moped, they interest me and the family because there easy to load in a pickup, fast enough to have fun scooting around town or alot further, good on gas, my youngest (16) works at a pizza place next town over and his bosses both have the monkey bike version also 125cc and cruise them everywhere. Funny thing is his bosses also have "full size" bikes but they'd rather most of the time just jump on the monkeys. I personally would not want a used full sized bike, its just not my thing unless maybe it had 3-wheels and not the azzbackward ones that are out there now. i was actually at a KTM dealer last saturday looking at a new ktm duke 390, nice looking bike but again i wasn't looking for a full size bike.
I suppose if these groms are a real letdown the resale value is strong.
dual sport tires are going on mine/ lots of smaller trails to explore around here and powerlines to check out.

But yup i agree a high performance moped/ actually had alot of fun on mopeds in my younger yrs.

shep

TSpencer
03-16-2021, 06:10 PM
Yamaha also makes an MT3 with is a nice bike, on the smaller side, and significantly less expensive than their big brothers. My son loves the Grom but I can't stand them. A good friend of mine has one and I tease him something unmerciful. He calls it his "sport bike" I'd much prefer to zip around town on a supermoto, but to each his own. I can see how it would be of interest to you and the family for putting around town. Whatever you decide- good luck! And if you do convert it- be sure to post pics and a build thread.

pismorat
03-16-2021, 08:39 PM

Why don't you get something vintage lik an xl125, you could also take it off road some if you wanted. Can't do that with the Kawi, plus it won't depreciate as much.

..................................https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery_A-L_16/Honda%20XL125%2074-76%20%202.jpg

My parents have one of those my mom has been riding since 1978! She might be ready to sell it soon...

Dirtcrasher
03-27-2021, 01:44 PM
Your right a step or two above a moped, they interest me and the family because there easy to load in a pickup, fast enough to have fun scooting around town or alot further, good on gas, my youngest (16) works at a pizza place next town over and his bosses both have the monkey bike version also 125cc and cruise them everywhere. Funny thing is his bosses also have "full size" bikes but they'd rather most of the time just jump on the monkeys. I personally would not want a used full sized bike, its just not my thing unless maybe it had 3-wheels and not the azzbackward ones that are out there now. i was actually at a KTM dealer last saturday looking at a new ktm duke 390, nice looking bike but again i wasn't looking for a full size bike.
I suppose if these groms are a real letdown the resale value is strong.
dual sport tires are going on mine/ lots of smaller trails to explore around here and powerlines to check out.

But yup i agree a high performance moped/ actually had alot of fun on mopeds in my younger yrs.

shep

I LOVED my mopeds!! Had a couple around 15/16 and we went everywhere on them. I truly had a blast as a young kid, always had something to ride...

ATC King
03-27-2021, 07:42 PM
On Honda's motorcycle website they have a downloadable coloring page for the Grom, which they call COLOR MY GROM.

My artistic ability is a little rusty, but I tried to draw a rider with teal shorts and a purple helmet, you know, 90's colors. Maybe it's a little too Lisa Frankish. What do y'all think?

Shep1970
03-27-2021, 08:07 PM
Not sure about them spaghetti legs king, picking up our groms on saturday... i cant wait. think im in trouble though we were at the dealer today and the wife noticed this kawasaki Z125 teal color- the wife wants it bad....had to peal her away from it. 267208

I hate spending $ but damn i dont know what im gonna do about that, she's pretty good too me soooo.....

shep

looks blue in the pic but its more teal than blue.

Blmpkn
04-01-2021, 07:45 PM
the grom is miles above and beyond a moped.

I bought one the year they were released in the states. Im 6'2 and 230lb and the little thing will carry me along 55-60 mph while getting 100mpg. Installing a big gun full exhaust and removing the intake snorkels & screen on the back of the filter gave me an honest additional 5mph cruising speed.

If I were to install a cam, a "cold air intake" and get a tuner for it.. it would carry me along at 80+mph easily. Mpg would drop to around 70-75 though.

The grom is an absolute blast. Doing figure-8s while dragging foot peg the whole time is a riot. It is the ULTIMATE bike to hoon around town on, no doubt about it. Just don't wheelie it for miles, they'll lock right up on ya.

I will add, it appears as if a carrier&axle from a 110 are roughly the right size to adapt to the groms swingarm.

Shep1970
04-02-2021, 09:18 AM
Welp one is home, now back to dealer to grab the other. Question for u guys....would you remove these warning stickers? think i will just need back up incase when the wife gets home she asks were they went i can blame u guys:lol:or if she didnt notice them yet this am is my only chance too....
ya stupid question but.

shep

coolpool
04-02-2021, 10:05 AM
I'd say ditch them....or do they have to be there legally if you were to sell? Just the initial sale from Honda is required to have them is my guess.

knappyfeet
04-02-2021, 09:00 PM
Welp one is home, now back to dealer to grab the other. Question for u guys....would you remove these warning stickers? think i will just need back up incase when the wife gets home she asks were they went i can blame u guys:lol:or if she didnt notice them yet this am is my only chance too....
ya stupid question but.

shep

It's funny.....when restoring an old CB or something the finishing touches were always the warning labels.....and the chain information / tire information labels...etc.... 1st things we used to take off

I say keep them so you don't have to scour on eBay 20 years from now looking for some when you're trying to restore it hahaha

Shep1970
04-02-2021, 10:23 PM
It's funny.....when restoring an old CB or something the finishing touches were always the warning labels.....and the chain information / tire information labels...etc.... 1st things we used to take off

I say keep them so you don't have to scour on eBay 20 years from now looking for some when you're trying to restore it hahaha
There staying, i tried pealing a corner of one off/ them suckers are on there good, industrial adhesive or something...
I havent ridden a dirtbike since high school on roads/trails (long ago) i forgot how fun having two wheels was and a plus these being street legal!! I put 5 miles on one before sundown today, cant wait till tomorrow... very fun machine.
I had the wife doing figure 8's and circles in the driveway (she's trying and getting better) not road ready yet though but she ain't giving up...

shep

ATC King
04-02-2021, 10:52 PM
Are you guys going to put another wheel on these, or ride them on down to Bikersville?:naughty:

Shep1970
04-02-2021, 11:37 PM
Are you guys going to put another wheel on these, or ride them on down to Bikersville?:naughty:
probably should be moved to "bikersville" the post was just pre-existing in this spot since 2016 so...i don"t know maybe i'll just put a 3rd tire picture sticker on it and call it done. :wondering

shep