PDA

View Full Version : Swapping silencers with same pipe ?

roll on 3
09-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Anyone else try swapping ther silencer while keeping the pipe the same, this weekend I did on my 310r. The results were from atc5 pipe. Dg vs.esr not much change little more low end snap from Dg. Fmf vs.esr alot different smoother broader powerband cooler engine temp, that was power core silencer. Also did cobra wich was mostly low end mid range fell flat on top. Thats all I have for now. The fmf I'll run more next weekend might keep it.

DohcBikes
09-11-2016, 10:16 PM
Anyone else try swapping ther silencer while keeping the pipe the same, this weekend I did on my 310r. The results were from atc5 pipe. Dg vs.esr not much change little more low end snap from Dg. Fmf vs.esr alot different smoother broader powerband cooler engine temp, that was power core silencer. Also did cobra wich was mostly low end mid range fell flat on top. Thats all I have for now. The fmf I'll run more next weekend might keep it.

....wut....

tommerp
09-11-2016, 11:39 PM
... I thought the power came from the pipe, not the silencer on a 2 stroke... Sure there might be some different sounds.. .but actual noticeable power changes? :wondering

yaegerb
09-11-2016, 11:50 PM

Depends on the length of the silencer. A long silencer with a small diameter will enhance low range and mid range power because it increases bleed down pressure. A silencer with a short length and a large core diameter provides the best bleed down pressure for a high rpm engine. To much pressure in the pipe will greatly increase temperature of the piston crown and can lead to piston seizures. FMF all run longer silencers and those pipes work best for low to mid throttle ranges and will generally provide cooler engine temps.

christph
09-12-2016, 05:00 AM
Funny you should mention this, I was doing the exact same thing this weekend. Yes, the silencer can make a big difference. I have an LRD silencer with the 90 degree turn down tip and a Duncan Racing silencer that is short with a straight tip. The machine runs much better and makes more power with the Duncan silencer. With the LRD the engine is sluggish off idle and doesn't rev freely. You can hear it choking on its own exhaust. With the Duncan, the engine is snappy and revs to the moon. I'm sure it's the 90 degree turn down tip--which is meant to quite it down. I'm thinking about cutting the tip off because the Duncan is from another machine and I just wanted to test my theory the LRD was creating too much back pressure. Theory confirmed.

cr480r
09-12-2016, 09:58 AM
I doubt it's just the tip. I've added turndowns to several silencers with no loss in performance. The only time i have seen a silencer straight choke a bike was when the core became mis-aligned with the outlet. Shorter silencers usually add bottom end power because they delay the heat build up in the pipe.

roll on 3
09-12-2016, 09:20 PM
It was crazy how much cooler my engine ran with fmf power core, 15 degrees on the esr in line guage.