PDA

View Full Version : 350x clutch experts please

userj8670
09-08-2016, 10:36 PM
Ordered a new OEM clutch for my 350x. Filed and sanded with 2500 grit sandpaper the basket and clutch center. Put it all together tonight and installed it on the bike. My problem is that I cannot get that clutch center to NOT SPIN when torquing down! I have tried putting a block of wood (4x4) behind the tires while standing on the brakes (front and rear) with no avail. What does every one do to tighten this nut? I cant seem to get it to torque down with my torque wrench. I got to 60 ft lbs but anything above that I cant seem to accomplish...:wondering:wondering

p.s. yes i know the manual calls for a special tool which i do not have

BOB MARLIN
09-09-2016, 09:04 AM
There is a tool for holding the clutch basket that you can get at your local motorcycle shop. Or use an impact wrench.

yaegerb
09-09-2016, 09:36 AM
Ordered a new OEM clutch for my 350x. Filed and sanded with 2500 grit sandpaper the basket and clutch center. Put it all together tonight and installed it on the bike. My problem is that I cannot get that clutch center to NOT SPIN when torquing down! I have tried putting a block of wood (4x4) behind the tires while standing on the brakes (front and rear) with no avail. What does every one do to tighten this nut? I cant seem to get it to torque down with my torque wrench. I got to 60 ft lbs but anything above that I cant seem to accomplish...:wondering:wondering

p.s. yes i know the manual calls for a special tool which i do not have

Jim, like we discussed on the phone, I think you can make one of these tools out of a wide blade putty knife.

Something like this should be sufficient. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wal-Board-Tools-4-in-Hammer-End-Joint-Knife-22-074/100660207

atc007
09-09-2016, 09:51 AM
Impact, clean rag braided up in the plug hole on Compression stroke. Block of wood strategically placed between gears. Lots of ways to hold her from turning :).

arlaunch
09-09-2016, 09:55 AM
I use the clutch holder tool.

I love having cool tools though.

And ensuring that things are done correctly to the correct torque spec.

atctim
09-09-2016, 10:25 AM
I've always used a powerful impact. My friend has an electric one that will break your wrist if you are not careful.