PDA

View Full Version : Question about hooking up lights on 1987 Kawasaki KXT250

IronBear
08-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Hello,

I'm looking to hook up both the headlight and tail light on my Tecate but noticed there was the yellow wire missing from the wires coming out of the stator.

I don't have a puller yet to pull of the flywheel but should have one in the next couple of days.

I did take the cover off and it looks like this:

can someone identify this for me? I'll find out more when I pull the flywheel off but I'd really would like to have the lights if at all possible.

Thank you for your help.

fieldy
08-28-2016, 03:13 PM
Once you take the flywheel off and post a picture it will be easy to see if someone replaced the stator with a kx 250 stator, which does not have a lighting coil. Ricky Stator and Moose have stock stators w/ lighting coil. Rubbersalt or Jeswinehart will be able to tell. Some guys rewind them for a stronger spark.
Make sure your flywheel is epoxied (jeswinehart) or it will explode and destroy.
Seems like on kx 500 stators, they can have a lighting coil added, although i am not positive about that.
I know loc-tite everything! Hope this was some help.
That frame looks fresh!

IronBear
08-29-2016, 08:02 AM
I'm going to order the puller today because I'd like to see the stator. So if it turns out that I have a KX250 stator, what would I need as far as parts go (besides the stator) to get the lights working? I'm assuming I will need a flywheel too?

The previous owner painted the frame. It looks good but I'd like to bring it back to original someday, or I may just leave it. :)

Thanks again

nd4speed
08-31-2016, 03:54 AM
you will need stator with lighting coil and bigger flywheel the matches the stator and most likely a CDI.

Is your CDI all black plastic (KX250) or goldish/silver metal (T3)?

I bought a steering wheel puller at Autozone and used that for years.

RubberSalt
08-31-2016, 08:51 AM
Looks like a t3 flywheel to me. Only a puller will tell us what's under it.

I use a steering wheel puller from HF for mine. Works great.