PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever re set the timing on a Yamaha 225 DX or the like?

czac
08-22-2016, 03:50 PM
I think I need to but my problem lies in the crank shaft gear or sprocket. I don't see on listed on any of the online parts sheets, I do see what they call a "Crank Sub 1" which in the pic shows a gear on it. but the part is "Obsolete"... I found one on Ebay but there's no gear on it and brand new this assembly costs (or it did anyhow), $300.00 or more!

If im gonna install a new Cam shaft gear, shouldn't i also put in a new timing chain and crank shaft gear?
If so, im screwed as it doesnt look like the crank gear is sold separately and im not feeling like sinking another $300.00 plus into this thing if I can even find the assembly! should i just take off the old cam gear and replace it but use the old chain and crank gear and say F*** it and hope for the best? lol

RubberSalt
08-22-2016, 05:43 PM
Ignition timing or valve timing?

I assume valve timing. Have you set the timing back to stock settjngs per the manual?

When doing replacement, I'd assume gears, chains, guides, tensioner.

Is your chain stretched?

DohcBikes
08-22-2016, 09:10 PM
I think I need to but my problem lies in the crank shaft gear or sprocket. I don't see on listed on any of the online parts sheets, I do see what they call a "Crank Sub 1" which in the pic shows a gear on it. but the part is "Obsolete"... I found one on Ebay but there's no gear on it and brand new this assembly costs (or it did anyhow), $300.00 or more!

If im gonna install a new Cam shaft gear, shouldn't i also put in a new timing chain and crank shaft gear?
If so, im screwed as it doesnt look like the crank gear is sold separately and im not feeling like sinking another $300.00 plus into this thing if I can even find the assembly! should i just take off the old cam gear and replace it but use the old chain and crank gear and say F*** it and hope for the best? lolIf you end up needing parts I have them.

czac
08-23-2016, 07:42 AM
If you end up needing parts I have them.

I may... lol
Do you know what type of puller I need to get the flywheel off?
I was looking around on line last night but couldn't find anything for a YTM 225.
I saw them for the YTM 200 and every Yamaha quad imaginable but nothing for the YTM 225. I figured maybe the one for the YFM 225 Quad would be the same but according to what I saw, it apparently isn't. lol

czac
08-23-2016, 07:46 AM
Ignition timing or valve timing?

I assume valve timing. Have you set the timing back to stock settjngs per the manual?

When doing replacement, I'd assume gears, chains, guides, tensioner.

Is your chain stretched?

The chain and cam gear still look good, the chain was nice and tight and the gear isn't chipped, worn or broken... don't know about the crank gear though, I need to pull the fly wheel to see it and cant find a puller for mine.
I did reset the valve timing last night as per the manual but it still isn't starting... how do you set the ignition timing? is there a way? I just thought they were the same thing. Thanks!