PDA

View Full Version : Genuine vs. OEM

AK47KID
08-16-2016, 02:07 AM
What is the difference between genuine jets and OEM EQUIVALENT jets?http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160816/c2b88abe4392a2723effc5dbccc8792e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Leevvii
08-16-2016, 02:21 AM
EDIT [im a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro] thanks matt

it gets misused alot on ebay and the likes, to mean an original part [not always new or genuine], but on that bike since the seller owned it

atcmatt
08-16-2016, 03:09 AM
No OEM means, Original Equipment Maunfacturer. I.E Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki etc.

DohcBikes
08-16-2016, 09:36 AM
No OEM means, Original Equipment Maunfacturer. I.E Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki etc.

You're half right. OEM does mean original equipment manufacturer. Original equipment manufacturer is any company that manufactures original stock parts for any particular brand. Such as keihin, mikuni, shindy, showa, nissin, ask, etc.

yaegerb
08-16-2016, 10:08 AM
What is the difference between genuine jets and OEM EQUIVALENT jets?http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160816/c2b88abe4392a2723effc5dbccc8792e.jpg

Headaches. spend the extra 2$ and get genuine.

plevib
08-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Jets? Really!? Buying aftermarket jets wI'll cause headaches? I really worry about you guys sometimes.....

DohcBikes
08-16-2016, 11:52 AM
Jets? Really!? Buying aftermarket jets wI'll cause headaches? I really worry about you guys sometimes.....Yes , really. It's called experience. You should try it sometime.

plevib
08-16-2016, 12:06 PM
Yup I'm sure that you've experienced loads of problems from all of the many brands of jets that you've tried. I guess keihin and mikuni are the only companies with a clue. You're probably right. I'm going to go buy and trike and meticulously and restore it with all eom parts and look at it in my living room so I can get some experience. Because lord knows the only way to know anything is to do it exactly as the 3ww crew would ;)

RubberSalt
08-16-2016, 12:10 PM
I've never had a problem with Aftermarket jets. I've never used aftermarket jets. <-- i know better lol

I solder/drill oem jets. After finding the size that works best. I buy the OEM jet that matches. I do own a partial jet kit that covers most sizes I use or need to jet with. 170-330 with Mikunis, 150-180 with Keihin.

It's very cheap, and simple to modify them. Get a microdrill bit set, solder the jet up, drill it out. You can find cross references for jet sizes and holes for each manufacture out there. If you have a part store out there close by (lucky me!) Just take the bit and find the jet it fits.

Never had a problem with this method. It's cheap. It works. It saves driving back and forth trying to source jets.

RubberSalt
08-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Because lord knows the only way to know anything is to do it exactly as the 3ww crew would ;)

I dunno bout that, I wreck trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro.

Ask the old timers about my early days and my arc welded pipe I made for my YT175. It ran, but it was uglier than the toothless meth head grandma behind the k mart down south.

DohcBikes
08-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Yup I'm sure that you've experienced loads of problems from all of the many brands of jets that you've tried.Yep. $2 is not worth having to wait for another order of jets to come when the cheap aftermarket jets aren't sized correctly. Some of us do this stuff more than others. Also, some of us get dealer prices on OEM, so we don't need to waste time with cheap jets.

keister
08-16-2016, 12:17 PM
In this case, Genuine means Keihin brand.
Yes, he should buy the Keihin jets to put in his Keihin carb.
9 times out of 10 'OEM equivalent' means 'Chinese knockoff.'
In some cases, that's good enough.
In this case, stick with the name brand.

plevib
08-16-2016, 12:25 PM
Yep. $2 is not worth having to wait for another order of jets to come when the cheap aftermarket jets aren't sized correctly. Some of us do this stuff more than others. Also, some of us get dealer prices on OEM, so we don't need to waste time with cheap jets.

Man I wish I was "some of us". Your life sounds awesome!

DohcBikes
08-16-2016, 12:36 PM
Your life sounds awesome!easy there, trigger

frankydodo
08-16-2016, 12:50 PM
I'm going to go buy and trike and meticulously and restore it with all eom parts and look at it in my living room so I can get some experience. Because lord knows the only way to know anything is to do it exactly as the 3ww crew would ;)

You should buy my 200x. Because i can't even put a honda cam in it, thats what i've been told here :(

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160816/5c2405ea2e840ddb4d5752d323bf9eaf.jpg

yaegerb
08-16-2016, 12:56 PM
Jets? Really!? Buying aftermarket jets wI'll cause headaches? I really worry about you guys sometimes.....

Worry about me all you want punkin. How many racing carbs have you tried to jet, let alone std. carbs that anyone can read the size in a manual? I can tell you I build carbs for guys to pay bills and I can also tell you that the OEM equivalent jets are just that "OEM equivalent" Chinese replica's, where the orifices aren't a true reflection of the number on the side of the hex head.

Do some research before posting.

frankydodo
08-16-2016, 01:00 PM
Worry about me all you want punkin. How many racing carbs have you tried to jet? I can tell you I build carbs for guys to pay bills and I can also tell you that the OEM equivalent jets are just that "OEM equivalent" Chinese replica's, where the orifices aren't a true reflection of the number on the side of the hex head.

Where the f is this site going......
There are also exceptions. Some people here got chinese carb for their 185/200 atc and never had problem with them. I bought 2 chinese carb also. One for an atc 185 and the other for a ct70. They both work just fine. But i understand that for racing, the oem mikuni or whatever brand is the best

bkm
08-16-2016, 01:03 PM
Yup I'm sure that you've experienced loads of problems from all of the many brands of jets that you've tried. I guess keihin and mikuni are the only companies with a clue. You're probably right. I'm going to go buy and trike and meticulously and restore it with all eom parts and look at it in my living room so I can get some experience. Because lord knows the only way to know anything is to do it exactly as the 3ww crew would ;)
What is so controversial about recommending buying the best parts possible for very little extra money? I've used every "oem equivalent" type of jet out there and while I never really had a problem with non genuine mains, the pilots and needles are junk. I don't know if you've ever owned a Banshee, but try running aftermarket pipes and Chinese needles. Yeagerb and I had a 30 minute conversation about this very subject and let's just say now he is a believer.

plevib
08-16-2016, 02:42 PM
But OEM and Chinese aren't the only options for jets either. Idk a ton about brands but I've had very good luck with ebc and they are made in the UK. But that's a good point about needless (pun intended ;) ) I can see how being much more complicated than a hole would make needles harder to manufacture

The_Steve_Man
08-16-2016, 04:48 PM
I can tell you that I wouldn't trust anything in my race bike but genuine. Now for any 4 stroke but race motor (2 or 4 stroke) it may not not make that much of a difference. But 2 bucks isn't going to break the bank.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Jmoozy27
08-16-2016, 07:05 PM
I get all of my jets from a local guy who keeps cases in stock. He's been in business for years and I trust him. Mostly the jets are keihin, but sometimes they are ebc. Haven't had a problem with them. I wouldn't just buy some oddball trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro off of eBay though. Too risky.

AK47KID
08-16-2016, 08:25 PM
Think I got advice.... and then some

Thorpe
08-16-2016, 08:55 PM
AK48KID.....? Did you ever live in Canada, and go by the name bcredneck....??

Rob Canadian
08-16-2016, 08:58 PM
For most part. You get what you pay for. IMHO.

knappyfeet
08-16-2016, 09:02 PM
Are we still talking about jets?.........still?

Don't tell me let me guess........for a 200X?

AK47KID
08-16-2016, 09:49 PM
Are we still talking about jets?.........still?

Don't tell me let me guess........for a 200X?
No actually if you looked at the pic of the jet, you'd see it was for a 200es carb

AK47KID
08-16-2016, 09:51 PM
Nope I don't the drink syrup

Rob Canadian
08-16-2016, 10:00 PM

Leave Canada out of it. :cool:

We don't have Jets. We use squirt guns, and sling shots...

AK47KID
08-16-2016, 10:02 PM
Leave Canada out of it. :cool:
USA USA USA USA!

El Camexican
08-17-2016, 12:40 AM
Leave Canada out of it. We don't have Jets.

Sure we do! And many of the good ones are American.:D

Dirtcrasher
08-17-2016, 03:15 PM
IDK; I've got 7 little plastic cases with 10 pack - leak, slow and main jets in them for a PK or FCR carb (long hex).

I tuned my 350RX with them and they worked great. It was about 30$ for a set of 10 of these jets; That's 3$ a jet.

They worked bad in the race ready 200X but I later found out I had an air leak!! No jet will fix that.....

My local Honda shop takes me a 1hour round trip, doesn't have a complete selection and sells jets for 6.99$ for 1 jet. If they had to be OEM, I'd spend the extra money but they seem to work great for me.

I'll try to find the EBAY sellers name for you later (remind me) but they work perfect in my history using them.

I have purchased other Chinese jets in the past and they were not accurate, then I found this guy on EBAY.

El Camexican
08-17-2016, 07:44 PM
If I'm going to get my hands covered with gas and fight a crusty rubber manifold to make a jet change I'm sure as hell not going to put in something that was sized in a knock off sweat shop by a guy who doesn't even have a drivers license yet alone know how to tune a carb. Jetsrus has an extra $50 bucks or so from me that I invested in piece of mind.

cr480r
08-17-2016, 08:03 PM
Obviously any brand jet with the right fuel flow will run properly.. But it's much easier to make a 2.5% change in fuel flow when the flow properly matches the size indicated within 2.5%.. That's all

RIDE-RED 250r
08-17-2016, 08:31 PM
Keihin jets in my Keihin carbs. No fuss, no muss, no questions, no problems.

If the price of genuine jets compared to knock-offs is cost prohibitive to you, then you probably shouldn't own a trike.

cr480r
08-17-2016, 09:19 PM
Any time you can eliminate unnecessary variables in a process with many variables it's worth doing ImO. That's why I would never solder and drill jets unless I was working on an application where jets were not available.. Not to mention the headaches you could potentially cause for the next owner.. Just because two jets are drilled to same size does not mean they flow the same.. And just because a jet has a larger number doesn't mean they flow more if they came from a mystery source. My bikes are never spot on, and I always error towards rich on main.. But for someone going for that last lil bit it's worth the extra few dollars to know you are making the change that you are intending to

El Camexican
08-18-2016, 06:24 AM
Now wait a minute.......this is rocket science .......using your emojis .......witch Hanna Montana do you prefer .......and den you can go on with 3 pages about that ! American Hanna Montana or Chinese`s Hana Montana ? :wondering:wondering:wondering:Bounce:wondering:wo ndering:wondering

In this example I would strongly suggest using the Chinese version over the OEM unit as you're far less likely to succumb to any sort of viral infection When mounting the knock off model.

RubberSalt
08-18-2016, 09:03 AM
This is a difficult one to pick. I'd expect the American one to last much longer and be more durable, but being you can't find a 2nd legitimate Hanna Montana, and the first is warn out... It may be best to stock up on several of the Chinese versions.

Having an oem dealer so close to home and $3 a jet.. :)

El Camexican
08-18-2016, 10:06 AM
But but that depends on who who used it foist ?

I just assumed Barnett had already been there.