PDA

View Full Version : rechroming front forks

jonolanracin
07-31-2016, 08:34 PM
Im restoring another tri z and the chrome on forks are pitted a little and was wondering is there any other option other than rechroming them to nice them up. If i have th re chrome has anyone ever done if so anything i need to make sure to tell the chromer and what is a fair price to pay

Canyon Man
08-01-2016, 09:45 AM
It's been years since I chromed anything but from what I remember, the chrome will not fill any pits you may have. I think the chrome is only .002 thick back then. Also , when they chrome things its put in a large container therefore if you chrome 1 item or 20 its all about the container size they use. Again, this was about 30 years ago. Also prep work is key for cost as far as cleaning it up the best you can. My .02

fabiodriven
08-01-2016, 05:00 PM
I don't know how much it costs to have them replated, but keep in mind having a new set custom made is an option. I'd price both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIDE-RED 250r
08-01-2016, 05:20 PM
And I am guessing that any hydraulic shop that re-chromes hydraulic cylinders for heavy equipment could handle that job as well. Just in case you didn't already know that

tripledog
08-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Perhaps this may help... http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

jonolanracin
08-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the info mine are not terribly pitted but on a full restoration i dont want crappy forks on it lol

Thorpe
08-01-2016, 11:56 PM
I had a set of tubes done earlier in the spring, cost me a $100 bill....

jonolanracin
08-02-2016, 12:00 AM
What about pitting can they fix that id easy pay 100

Marty
08-03-2016, 03:21 PM
Are you talking about outside of forks?
If you are what I did was i took to a polisher and had them polished best they could. When I got them back from polisher most pitting was mostly gone. I then took them to my chromer to have them chromed he inspected tubes and polisher did good job with polishing out pitting or most of it and pitting that was still there chromer told me they would fill in because pitting was so thin.
Yes it was more money but if you don't have nice spare parts sometimes that is all you can do.