PDA

View Full Version : Not sure this one can be saved

gimmeamidget
07-22-2016, 03:32 PM
Picked up another project this morning but it's pretty rough and corroded and everything is seized. Came with a couple dashes and good headlight and 2 tanks and few other parts that forced me to drag it home.233576233577233578233579233580233581

gimmeamidget
07-22-2016, 03:33 PM
I've never seen a Honda that can't be made to run but I'm concerned about this one.

DohcBikes
07-22-2016, 03:39 PM
Hmm looks like that bad boy might've sat in some water for a while. I'd still take it though. Might as well completely strip it down, that's what it'll take to make a reliable machine. If you bought it to profit, parting it out is the only way.

gimmeamidget
07-22-2016, 03:43 PM
I have never parted I try and save them. I agree on a full tear down. Too bad because bearings feel tight and suspension feels good. Bike was in good shape when it was parked wherever it was parked.

DohcBikes
07-22-2016, 03:49 PM
I have never parted I try and save them. Parting a single bike can save several. Just sayin.

Have fun with the rebuild!

RubberSalt
07-22-2016, 04:58 PM
It's like it was swimming in salt water or something.

I'd strip it down and see what it has. Left. Pour some atf/acetone mix into the engine and let it sit.

Maybe source a new frame. I dunno.. it makes me sad seeing that.

UPNATM
07-22-2016, 05:20 PM
Save it! By a case of PB blaster, and start hosing her down! :lock:

gimmeamidget
07-22-2016, 11:07 PM
That's where I plan on starting is spraying everything down with pb blaster and cleaning up as much as I can and see what I have. Oil looked ok in engine and I may let spray some into spark plug hole for a week or two and see if I can free the engine up. I have had luck in the past doing this but they will always smoke afterwards and will need top end work. Il try and post results as I have time to mess with it.

gimmeamidget
07-24-2016, 06:12 PM
Got a case of pb blaster ordered but went out today to look things over. Pulled the plug and filled the cylinder with what I had left of a can and sprayed down all the rust on frame and motor. Got the brakes at least free up to where I can roll it around and put in gear and began trying to free the piston. To my surprise i was able to feel a little play and in a matter of a few minutes the piston was moving freely. Checked for spark and sprayed a little gas in the cylinder and it fired. Tore the carb down and cleaned it up. Put a filter inline and new gas and it idles smooth and runs strong. Brakes are still needing rebuilt and I can't get the drum off the rear. I'm going to get new cables ordered and wait for the pb blaster to arrive and continue to clean it up but I was very happy to hear it run. No smoke and no strange noises.

DohcBikes
07-24-2016, 06:38 PM
very happy to hear it run. No smoke and no strange noises.:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

UPNATM
07-24-2016, 08:32 PM
I was very happy to hear it run. No smoke and no strange noises.

Its a Honda, all they want to do is run. :naughty:

Honestly, thats awesome to hear. Keep is posted on your progress.

AK47KID
07-25-2016, 12:31 PM
What are you going to do about all that corrosion? Strip it, sandblast it, repaint it?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk