PDA

View Full Version : 200x idling high

niftylittleguy
07-16-2016, 04:34 PM
I picked up a 1984 200x a week ago and i decided to pick up a new carb since it idled high and ran like crap. So after i put the new carb on it now idles even higher. The carb is pretuned so i am not sure what could be making it rev so high. Also there is no air filter on the bike(not sure if that may be the reason for the idle).

Thorpe
07-16-2016, 07:17 PM
Well, pre-tuned... That sounds like the problem. No way it can be pre-tuned for all the variables. And by "new carb", I am guessing it's an eBay China junk?

yaegerb
07-16-2016, 07:17 PM
Put a filter on and turn the idle screw down.

niftylittleguy
07-16-2016, 10:11 PM
Is there a holder for the air filter? or does it just kinda sit in the air box. Also would unscrewing it idle it down?

yaegerb
07-16-2016, 11:09 PM
Get one of these.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/UNI-Two-Stage-Foam-Air-Filter-Honda-ATC200X-1983-1985-NU-4067ST-/162127289249?nav=SEARCH

And this.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Uni-Foam-Air-Filter-Service-Kit-/272285188144?nav=SEARCH

Oil the filter before you put it on (in the service kit) and clean it when it's dirty. I would also suggest an outerwears on the filter but that's up to you.

Yes, loosen the screw to idle it down.

Leevvii
07-17-2016, 01:51 AM
I feel for ya mate, I fell for the ebay carby pitfall too, when i 1st decided to restore mine,

they do work, they're just very underjetted for the 200x.

mine was mikuni, came with a 95 mainjet and a 15 pilot, thats not even standard honda carb level jetting, ....they dont tell ya dat!

Leevvii
07-17-2016, 01:54 AM
So after i put the new carb on it now idles even higher
check if Air is leaking anywhere in the inlet circuit?

niftylittleguy
07-17-2016, 06:00 PM
So I put the old one carb back on but am still having the same issue. When I first start the bike it runs at the right idle. Then after 20 or so seconds it idles EXTREMELY high. If I shove a full rag in the intake it brings it back down to the right idle. I unscrewed the idle screw out a good amount but it did not make a difference. I also have an air filter I put on but it didn't seem to make a difference

niftylittleguy
07-17-2016, 06:43 PM
I also made sure that the air box and the boot going to it from the airbox had no leaks. Could out possible be from the head? Could a gasket be bad or the head cracked. Also once I start it, it does not smoke but after it revs up high it begins to pour smoke out of the exhaust

danbur55
07-17-2016, 08:24 PM
Check your throttle cable adjustment to make sure it's not holding open.

knappyfeet
07-17-2016, 08:37 PM
Check your throttle cable adjustment to make sure it's not holding open.

X2

That may be the problem

Instead of thinking cracked head......remove the throttle cable completely and run it. Once some of,the basics are covered then you can explore further possible conditions.

efhondakid
07-17-2016, 08:40 PM
Air leak from the intake to the head somewhere. Start the bike up and spray some carb cleaner around the intake you'll notice a change in idle if the motor sucks in anywhere. My bet is a bad intake gasket.

niftylittleguy
07-17-2016, 08:44 PM
X2

That may be the problem

Instead of thinking cracked head......remove the throttle cable completely and run it. Once some of,the basics are covered then you can explore further possible conditions.

Thats what i thought at first but when the bike is started it runs fine for 10-15 seconds. Then it revs up alot on its own, i never touched the throttle.

oscarmayer
07-17-2016, 08:50 PM
Could be carb adjustments. Did you check the slide? Adjust the idle screw to lower the slide. Also you should be starting with the choke and after warm, turn choke off. Are you leaving it on? It will cause it to run faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niftylittleguy
07-17-2016, 09:05 PM
Could be carb adjustments. Did you check the slide? Adjust the idle screw to lower the slide. Also you should be starting with the choke and after warm, turn choke off. Are you leaving it on? It will cause it to run faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The slider is fine. Also ive tried to adjust the screw but there was no difference at all. Its been quite hot out so i have been starting the bike with the chike off. Also the plug has been getting really black.

YTZ drew
07-19-2016, 11:05 AM
Silly question, but are you sure the slide is installed facing the right way? The angled cutaway edge should face the air filter. When they're installed backwards they won't drop all the way in, and the idle screw won't work.

3wheelrider
07-19-2016, 12:24 PM
^^Check all mentioned above^^
The large orings on both ends of the intake manifold go bad over time & can cause this. I would check there.

niftylittleguy
07-19-2016, 09:17 PM
After spraying choke cleaner over the intake it made the bike run different. So I pulled the intake off cleaned the sides and put it back on, causing no difference. I also replaced the round gasket that was towards the engine. I'm now having an issue just starting the bike. It has spark but now it will not run

3wheelrider
07-19-2016, 09:25 PM
After spraying choke cleaner over the intake it made the bike run different. So I pulled the intake off cleaned the sides and put it back on, causing no difference. I also replaced the round gasket that was towards the engine. I'm now having an issue just starting the bike. It has spark but now it will not run

I would replace the ORINGS on both ends of the manifold. Sounds like theyre not sealing. Cleaning them isnt gonna help.

efhondakid
07-19-2016, 09:27 PM
They do tend to flatten out over time if you don't have a 100% air tight seal from the carb to the head you'll never get it to idle right.

niftylittleguy
07-24-2016, 10:10 PM
Just wanted to leave an update to the situation. I ended up taking the boot off and adding rtv high temp gasket maker to the boot that connects to the engine. I also change the throotle cable and realized that the "OEM" throttle cable was to short. Not really sure how that is even possible. This was causing the needle to not completely go down acting as if the throttle was 1/4 of the way down.

danbur55
07-26-2016, 12:50 PM
glad to hear you got it going