PDA

View Full Version : DEBATE: Are quad tyres OK to use as FRONT trike tyres???

Leevvii
07-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Are quad tyres OK to use on FRONT tyres for 3 wheeler trikes?

Local dealer suggests not, he claims that it wont allow the trike to steer well enough. I have thought about it, I assume its got to do with the curvature of the tyre, allowing the trike better grip and compensate for the rotational forces of trike steering. The squarer quad tyres are for a more stable balanced loading. So i suppose it has merit. In Australia, trike tyres are rare.

Does this affect the steering to any great degree?

fabiodriven
07-11-2016, 03:08 PM
I've never tried to ride a trike with a square profile rear tire on the front so I cannot say from experience, but I'd imagine it would handle like crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIDE-RED 250r
07-11-2016, 05:14 PM
I agree with Fabs.... I don't think that flatter profile quad front tires would work very well on a trike.

There are some quad fronts that have a more round profile I have seen some guys run with good results. But you will end up converting to a 10" front rim, very few if any quad fronts made for 11" rim like found on most sport/race type trikes.

trikeguy2014
07-11-2016, 10:43 PM
What brand/size trike would you be using it on?

DohcBikes
07-11-2016, 11:06 PM
There's really no such thing as a "quad tire". Tires are tires, they either have a flat/squared profile design, a rounded profile design, or something in between. The tread patterns will greatly affect steering ability as well. Each tire is application specific. Bottom line, choose a suitable tire in the correct size for your application and it'll be fine.

fieldy
07-11-2016, 11:48 PM
Look at the new banner, roundies and square front tires running neck and neck from what i understand. Have you seen the Kenda front tire? Kenda 284 max a/t, 21x7x10. I have seen this tire on a ft championship trike. 10" wheels are under $150.

nachop
07-12-2016, 12:04 AM
I bought a Kenda Front Max 23x8x11 for $58.87 shipped from Amazon.com. It is tire that I have used previously on my 250R with really good success.

Leevvii
07-12-2016, 08:52 AM
I have an '84 200X, not for racing, but steering, no matter where you ride it, is always a nice bonus! My current front tyre is 23.5 x 8.00 x 11, Rear's 22 x 11.00 x 8, the walls are deteriorated and split pretty bad, probably be OK at low pressure, for a short period. Perhaps a tube might help, though i think they already have tubes?

Has anyone tried gluing / melting the cracked rubber back to normal?

Jd110
07-12-2016, 09:49 AM
I've never heard of gluing or melting cracked rubber, but that's not saying it's never successfully been done -idk. I'd lean towards newer tyre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leevvii
07-12-2016, 10:26 AM
I like a challenge, always try to fix before replace, .....thats my scottish blood! LOL

plevib
07-12-2016, 11:05 AM
As a former tire guy of 4 years I will warn you that glueing or melting won't do anything. It's not going to stay together (especially if a leak forms) and even if it does, it's not going to stop the tire from being rotten. You're not going to hurt anything trying glue but it's really not going to work. I really don't recommend trying to melt it together because rubber burns and it won't make anything better. The best option is obviously a new tire, but I totally understand.... shall we call it financial prioritizing? Or being broke haha.... been there many times! a tube is a good cheap option to take some of the stress off the old rubber to stretch it's lifespan a little :cool:

Not trying to be a jerk, do as you wish!

.....oh. ... and have fun breaking those beads! :D

83ATC185
07-12-2016, 12:40 PM
I bought a Kenda Front Max 23x8x11 for $58.87 shipped from Amazon.com. It is tire that I have used previously on my 250R with really good success.

Couldn't be happier with the frontmax/holeshot combo on my 200x for trail and road riding, however if there is any mud at all a frontmax is a no-go.

Putting a square tire on the front that has aggressive tread like a holeshot seems like a recipe for disaster to me and my riding style. Then again I've seen a silverback on the front of a big red so as stated it has to do mostly with application/riding style...

Leevvii
07-12-2016, 11:58 PM
Not trying to be a jerk, do as you wish!
no, i understand, thats the advice i was looking for. I just go on flights of fancy frequently. LOL

Thorpe
07-13-2016, 12:25 AM
I ran ITP mud lites on all 3 corners of my BR and loved them....

yaegerb
07-13-2016, 12:31 AM
I have an '84 200X, not for racing, but steering, no matter where you ride it, is always a nice bonus! My current front tyre is 23.5 x 8.00 x 11, Rear's 22 x 11.00 x 8, the walls are deteriorated and split pretty bad, probably be OK at low pressure, for a short period. Perhaps a tube might help, though i think they already have tubes?

Has anyone tried gluing / melting the cracked rubber back to normal?

Duder.....buy some tires

18 inch holeshots for rear
21 inch duro power trail for the front (note, you need a xowner10 inch front wheel and 86 200x front hub and file a little off the caliper)

Leevvii
07-13-2016, 08:49 AM
Duder.....buy some tires
Seriously, you "replace it" types!!:lol:
Yeah, i kinda resided myself to it all along, just thought i'd ask if repair was possible, sometimes it pays to ask.

I want to buy tyres, but "trike" tyres are not very available in Australia, not locally or readily at least. I've already spent as much on postage from the US, as i have in parts for my 200X restoration, its the same problems with sourcing parts in OZ.

Im gonna be mainly riding dirt [bush] tracks, and the odd bit of sand if i can find anywhere locally that one is allowed to ride in these parts [trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro you greenies!!], So i would definately prefer the more rounded contour, as i believe flatter profiles would tend to allow more "lateral slide" style of riding, they would be OK on flat track and smooth surfaces [where drifting is a good thing], but our local bush is pretty rough on the suspension, so the reactive steering would be better IMO.

Jd110
07-13-2016, 09:24 AM
Comparatively speaking, 3-wheelers are a "green" vehicle. Especially if you get the camo type, with electric motor and stickers all over it. Fill your tyres with helium and you'll practically float. :lol:

RIDE-RED 250r
07-13-2016, 09:58 AM
I run Kenda Front Max on 2 of my 3 sport/race trikes. I have found it to be an excellent front tire... And they are remarkably cheap compared to the more popular tires out there... And I will be setting up that last sport trike of mine with one when it's time to replace what's on it...

http://www.tmsparts.com/4050501c-k284-max-at-front-tire-21x8x9.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=4131726&gclid=COis1bLM8M0CFUIfhgodgeQEfQ

Leevvii
07-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Yeah, nice rubber, i'll check them out locally also. thanks

Leevvii
07-13-2016, 10:31 AM
Just curious, what do the tyre dimensions stand for, im guessing
O.Diam. X width X Rim Diam ?????????????????

RIDE-RED 250r
07-13-2016, 10:34 AM
Height, width, and rim size, respectively....in inches

Leevvii
07-13-2016, 10:55 AM
got it. Does amazon ship to Aust, or is it USA only?

RIDE-RED 250r
07-13-2016, 10:57 AM
Not sure on that.. But as big as Amazon is, I would be surprised if they don't

YTZ drew
07-15-2016, 09:53 AM
I, like many others, am running a Kenda front max 284 on my 84 200x. I have no complaints, even in short muddy sections. It steers well, and in the mud, I stand up, keep the weight but back, and it floats pretty well over the muck. The tire was only about $80 at the dealer, and it looks appropriate on the front of a vintage trike.

RIDE-RED 250r
07-15-2016, 10:07 AM
I have found that the Front Max has a fair bit more steering bite than the OE tire, mainly when the grooves in the tread are still fresh. Once the little grooves wear down, they are more even with the OE tire..at least in my experience.

I haven't done a 10" conversion on any of mine, trivial and OCD as it may seem, I prefer the looks of the OE clover leaf cutout rims. I don't race so front tire selection isn't a huge deal to me and the Front Max serves my purposes beautifully.

OZQUAD44
07-15-2016, 11:38 PM
I'm in AU as well and I see the odd trike for sale down here with drive tyres on the front. I'm unsure how that would make the three wheeler handle, but it does look weird.

If you look at how a tyre works under load, they all deform under load and in theory the flat wide tread used in a steer application has every chance to have good contact on the ground though a corner, depending on the surface, force, and speed applied to the tyre. So it is important that we don't just write of a tyre because it looks a bit wonky compared to what we a used to seeing. A "quad" drive tyre might work just fine.

But having said all that I would be looking to replace my tyres with a tyre similar in construction to the OEM style of tyre. Those Kenda front max tyres seem to be the goods, and Can be bought via the Internet and arrive at your door step in a matter of days. That's the path I would be taking.

Please don't try and repair a tyre with glue or heat. Some times, just sometimes, it makes a whole lot of sense to buy new. This is one of these instances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk